The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

No doubt partly because of my location, I've passed Astor & Black stuff repeatedly, repeatedly, repeatedly. Dozens and dozens of times. To sum it up - I leave it even in my size.

Why? Almost none of it (that I've found - but honestly, by now I have a pretty freaking huge sample size - where there's one A&B item, there's almost always several) has actual full canvassing and some of the "claimed premium" fabrics just don't feel all that good. If you're just starting out maybe it would be good, but if you're just starting out you need to learn restraint and patience for something really worth your while, not half-measures.

I was tempted by a 100% cashmere jacket once but held firm.

The shirts - eh. Most feature plastic buttons and questionable stitching from what I've seen. I HAVE seen a few that must be nicer make, with MOP buttons and some construction features that were lacking on others (like side gussets) but even at thrift prices, eh - I'd rather be patient for guys to find a Borrelli or something in my size. Again, half-measures.

The ties - honestly, their seven folds are nice. I've only seen them at consignment for $25 and that's more than I'm willing to pay for one. If I saw one at a thrift I'd probably pick it up. The three folds are pretty much junk IMO.

As for Ebay - I've researched it repeatedly and never seen any reliable sales. Sure, occasionally a shirt sells for $15 or so, or a jacket for a few bucks - but for every single one of those there's gobs and gobs that don't move.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

2. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Did you stop by that place I mentioned?

Too many hipsters in MN :plain:

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

FTFY..

Epic link in there. Get comfy.

4. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

The thing that really made me want to get them was how recent they are. I'd probably even pick up a Jos A Bank suit if it was from 2011 and my size. Also, based on their website their suits are fully canvassed, so maybe they improved quality. I thought the fabric seemed nice as well. It just seems crazy to pass on suits that were sold for $1000+ less than a year ago. But I guess if there is no buyer interest it would make sense to pass.

5. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

LOL yeah I've read that thread...

I am told by a person to remain nameless (they read the forums but not post) who has worked at A&B in a non-sales capacity... that even the employees diss the clothes when they're not selling them. That's gotta hurt, but I guess they're laughing all the way to the bank.

EDIT: ick5768, I haven't seen any 2011-produced - I've seen 2009 and 2010, and left them. Having felt really-top-end stuff I guess I'm just spoiled... I think I would compare them with JAB or maybe a step up from there - but not sure I would go with them over Brooks Brothers' better stuff, for example. I also suspect their marketing is a little misinformed, to say the least, sometimes. ^^;

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

8. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Don't get me wrong, I HATE everything about living in the boondocks...but this is probably one of the very few benefits of it. I purchased a Canali tie for $1, which was sold right next to a Croft and Barrow tie, which was also $1, which was next to the obscure french boutique tie (which, according to SF is well made and an absolute keeper), which was also $1. I guess on those occasions when I get amazing pulls, I should thank my lucky stars that I'm in a small town.

9. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

I agree with your definition. The store I got that from is run by the Assistance League (its called the AL Thirft House). It is run entirely by the members who each work there about once a month. It is a small store(about 1500-2000 sq ft) and right next to a Salvation Army, They only have a small men's clothing section, but do get a lot of other interesting stuff. They tend to get a few pieces of high-end furniture and antiques pretty regularly. The clothes are cheap, but the antiques and furniture are not. I paid $30 and change for that Kiwi dispenser. On the other hand, I paid $7.57 total for a Bottega Veneta briefcase there earlier this year.

10. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

Dwolla is US-only? can someone explain this and why it is better than paypal ( which I JUST started using)?

11. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

12. gdwy89

gdwy89 Well-Known Member

Holy shit, we were in the same store today. I saw the V2 and that unforgettable fake animal skin suit. Made partially out of PVC if I recall correctly. No way is that a coincidence. I got myself a Gitman Bros shirt, a Nike APG reversible fleece/jacket, a belt, and a nearly new and what appears to be complete Cranium board game (this I am most proud of as it was only $1) at the same store. Elsewhere earlier in the week: Woolrich cotton bomber jacket A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley Franny and Zoey by J.D. Salinger P.S. Mr. Deep, you don't have to worry about competition there ever again. I was driving home for the weekend and went a different way than I normally do which brought me to that particular store (you also got there earlier than I did so I'm assuming you picked up all the stuff you wanted before I got there anyway).

13. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

yea, sounds like the St Vincent de Paul thrifts. They always have really clean/nice furniture and antiques with fair market prices, and then clothes for really cheap. I bought some nice (i don't know shit about shoes) Florsheims for like 2$, but they wanted 50$ for a chair.

14. skmcbride

skmcbride Member

I am beginning to find that as I fill more and more staples within my wardrobe, it becomes increasingly more difficult to actually pull the trigger on a thrift item.

What I would have eagerly snatched off the shelf a year ago doesn't even raise an eyebrow now.

I did, however, stumble upon a Brooke Brothers Golden Fleece suit in a really compelling charcoal pattern last weekend. I love finding BB stuff in a 3/2 roll because I have smaller shoulders, but this piece had the unstructured shoulders in a two button jacket.

The thing is built like armor, at least in my relatively untrained eye.

20 bucks. With another $100 in tailoring costs I think I'll have something.

15. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.