• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pal Zileri-Flat front blue flannel, I think these were MTM as the construction are superior to the Zileri pants I have from suits.
Oxxford-pleated blue flannel, these have the new diamond patterned interior fabric....these are amazing.

Please tell me they are close to my size! (see sig)

amadar

Reaction score
Picked up a 3" wide Etro cotton tie in a very nice, subdued (for Etro) glen check pattern. Also a black slubby silk Oxxford SC - size 40S.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys just my $0.02 on Dwolla. I would be seriously disappointed if there was a big move on this forum to a US-only payments system. That would be the last straw for me with B&S. I have a lot of experience in payments technology, and this is not an arena where you want to be an early adopter of localised startups. Payments need to be global.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys just my $0.02 on Dwolla. I would be seriously disappointed if there was a big move on this forum to a US-only payments system. That would be the last straw for me with B&S. I have a lot of experience in payments technology, and this is not an arena where you want to be an early adopter of localised startups. Payments need to be global.

Cal, I can't speak for everyone hear but I wouldn't freeze you or other foreign buyers out. I've sold two items this week outside the US and both have been great guys to deal with. Using Pay Pal in that case is the cost of doing business. However if both parties are in the US and agreeable...why give the extra couple bucks to Pay Pal/eBay??? They nail us for enough as it is. Then when you have an issue like Nataku...they basically tell you to go F@#& yourself.

Plus 10 years ago....Pay Pal was a start-up. Just my .02

Last edited:

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score

I didn't buy any clothes today, but one of the thrifts here in town got in a bunch of cool vintage signs and advertising collectibles. I bought this Kiwi polish dispenser.
IMG_5299-1.jpg

I am curious how you define thrift store.

My definition : charity store that accepts donations and re-sells them for a fraction of their value.

Consignment stores aren't thrift stores, antique malls aren't thrift stores, copping ebay is not thrifting.

is this how you define thrift store also? Because if so, you need to hit that thrift store up DAILY.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My definition : charity store that accepts donations and re-sells them for a fraction of their value.
Consignment stores aren't thrift stores

Correct in most part.

What is becoming a reality is I am beginning to see thrift prices on some items approach consignment prices. A few weeks ago, saw an older Giorgio Armani casual Jacket (old label) in a thrift store with an $60 tag. A consigment store had a similar piece at $100. I could possibly have bargained the consignment owner into a 10% to 30% off, there is no way to get a thrift store to reduce the price.

It will not be long before most major thrift chains start marking up the more designer clothing by 50% or more than it already is. All it requires is knowledge and education on what you are selling. The gap between consignment and thrifting will inevitably close further. Who could blame the thrifts though? If one of us (without bias) was a thrift store boss / worker, would we not drastically increase prices on certain items?

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Found an Hermes "Pashmina" scarf or shawl for 80 bucks. Worth getting to flip? Has a repeating big H pattern.
I hesitate at that price and without any knowledge of how to authenticate anything Hermes other that a tie.

Are you ******* kidding? Ill give you $125 sight unseen.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found an Hermes "Pashmina" scarf or shawl for 80 bucks. Worth getting to flip? Has a repeating big H pattern.
I hesitate at that price and without any knowledge of how to authenticate anything Hermes other that a tie.

Are you ******* kidding? Ill give you $125 sight unseen.

If it is a womans scarf, I am next in line after Spoo :devil:
My wife collects these.

goneAWOL

Reaction score
Today I came across a mass donation of Astor & Black custom-made suits and sportcoats in staple colors. There were probably 8-10 suits and another 10 sportcoats. All of them were mint, and most were from 2009-2011. All had surgeon's cuffs. The catch is they were massive, at least 50R. Should I pick up any of them (sportcoats were all $5-$6, suits $16).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads