The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

:lol: my wife loves to rummage through junk. On top of thrift stores, she loves garage sales, flea markets, auctions, and Estate sales. You will meet her next time your in CA and we can hook up ;)

2. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

My wife likes to thrift as well. Our issue is my 7 year old.

3. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

But the dirtiest store was the one with the best finds! :laugh:

4. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Wow, great finds! I can't say that I have the same diligence or patience for a 1000 mile journey. Found a couple of decent things today...

Gitman Bros. Dress shirt 16/41
    Dolce and Gabbana Dress Shirt 16/41
    PRL Half-Zip Sweater M
    Luciano Barbera Sweater, seems to be a size L or XL (Haven't measured it yet)
    Canali Cuffed Dress pants, Two Pleats- I think I am colorblind because I can't determine whether they are Navy or Black, Size 32W would fit someone who has a 31" inseam but has a lower seat and the inseam measures 28" (They just about fit me and I wear a 32x32)

Three comments/questions
    I came across a Polo Bear Turtleneck, is there a similar market for these items as the sweaters?

I also came across some wild/funky Versace clothing. There were a few short sleeve v-neck shirts that were in the style of a heavy cotton sweater with pyramids, triangles, and circles of all different colors. Are they worth buying? I passed because they looked extremely outdated.

Lastly, is anyone interested in the Canali pants before I take them to my tailor?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  5. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Thank you for comments :)

Barbera sweater, if XL, might be interested.

Versace in loud patterns. Buy them, they are collectable. Spoo may well be interested in these, he knows vintage Versace and has a customer base for this stuff. Contact Spoo for advice before pulling the trigger if they are more than a few bucks. 1990's era Vintage is desirable, Im not sure if a 1983 vintage is!????

6. tben

tben Senior member

^^I had absolutely no idea that stuff was collectable. I believe two of the shirts were V2 and the other was Versus. They were absolutely hideous. If I recall correctly, V2 was a line that came out in the early to mid 90's, in the U.S. at least, but after that I haven't a clue. My knowledge is limited but growing and Versace isn't something I usually come across so I am not forced to really know a lot about it. As far as the Barbera sweater, I will measure it but I am not sure you'd be interested as it is a unique color and style. I really only picked it up because it was extremely cheap. If you want, I could pm you some pictures.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Grab it. There is a huge market for these. I got scammed out of a Polo cashmere turtleneck bear sweater for $800. Scammer turned around and sold it for $1500.

8. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Yeah, I read that earlier on this thread but I had no idea he or she turned around and sold it, that's horrible! I am going through a similar situation right now, but not for that amount of money. The buyer filed a charge-back today, even though he purchased the item from me a month and a half ago. I provided paypal with my post office receipt that matched the confirmed address that paypal had/has on file for this particular buyer. In addition, I provided tracking/delivery confirmation as well as a highlighted copy from eBay where the buyer is commending me for being a great seller and giving me a 5 star recommendation...with exclamation points. I feel your pain, and I wish there was something else that could be done to limit this from happening.

The item isn't a sweater a though. It is only a turtleneck with the bear skiing or something on it. And if there is a market for this even though it is not a sweater, how would I go about listing this item, if you don't mind me asking.

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Thanks. Yeah, at this point I'm just gonna take the hit. Sucks you're going through the same thing. Wish a better alternative to eBay/Paypal would pop up!

As for the turtleneck, I'm sure it still has the same collectible value if the bear is large. Don't quote me on that, though. I know the shirts with the little bear patch aren't desirable, though.

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Just PM a single picture of sweater with color / style. I like unusual stuff, gaudy patterns, etc. I can make a quick judgement.

Versus and V2 were diffusion labels, I dont think they are anywhere near as collectable as Gianni Versace Couture stuff (naturally the Gianni stuff was high end tailored and super expensive). Perhaps you could make a few bucks on them, but Gianni stuff was and still is high dollar. Spoo would know the market better though, I could be completely off base regarding accuracy of my information.

Why did the buyer file a chargeback, what was his pathetic excuse?

11. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

no theyre at the rack, the 1/2 off will only be on the calf players shoe at the main stores.

BTW NAT, if the seller resold the sweater for 1500, cant you show that to ebay and get your money back? Also can you pm me all the people you have on your blocked bidder list so i can add them to mine?

12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Should've bought the sweater back, then claimed you never received it...

Where did this evil woman sell it, anyways? Ebay again?

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I've tried everyone from Paypal to eBay to the local PD. They all say it's a lost cause. :fu:

Yeah, she sold it on eBay again under a different user name. Wish I could have bought it back, but bythe time the auction was found, it had already ended. The only way of getting my money back now is to buy something from her and pull the same thing. Thing is, I don't exactly have $200+ "play" with right now.

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Post the story on 4Chan, along with her personal information, ebay aliases, and the like, and see what happens. Just...don't tell anyone I said that.. ;)

- poof! -

15. zefina

zefina Member

I live in San Francisco. It's not what it once was, but great things still manage to surface from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.