• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear lord Klobber, 1000 miles of thrifting?! I can see how you might be burned out after that. Some amazing finds there, congrats.

I'm not even going to try following that act, but I've been looking for a messenger/briefcase bag for FOREVER, and I finally found a pretty decent one. It's by Jack Georges (I hadn't heard of it, but ebay seems to suggest it's not too bad). At $12.74 after discount, it was on the higher end of thrift prices I've paid, but it is in excellent condition (the inside looks completely unused, and it still has the loose inspection tag inside it), and has a really cool soft raised grain leather. Now I just need a comparable black one and I'm good to go! Also found some brown leather Sperry Topsiders in my size in pretty good shape for $7 (also not cheap, but another item I've been looking for for awhile).

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
^ Holy Moses, Klobber.
Terrible night. Got burned on a fake Louis Vuitton bag for 20 bucks. It was a real lapse of judgment. I should have known it was probably fake and done the research first.

Don't worry about it you win some you lose some, although thrifting for popular asian counterfeit brands is always a risk.

Klobber that is outstanding sir, I was just wondering what was this fortune that you spent? No need to get into individuals, just the entire lot. This way we can tell you if you will come out on top.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Klobber: You are a thrfting machine! Geez, that's a great haul but a lot of miles too! I'd sure hope to come out with that amount/quality of stuff if I did that drive!

^ Holy Moses, Klobber.
Terrible night. Got burned on a fake Louis Vuitton bag for 20 bucks. It was a real lapse of judgment. I should have known it was probably fake and done the research first.

Don't worry. I've been there. Picked up a Coach oversize bag from a garage sale for $15 over the summer. Looked really nice, until the car ride home where I started to really look at the details. The hangtag said "Oach". The snap logos were off center, etc. Dumped it at the Goodwill on the way home. :brick:

No clothing thrift stores today. Car thrift stores were on my shopping list.
1993 Mercury Grand Marquis
$3999 dropped to $3100 before I said a word. Needs a new wiper switch and a new power window regulator. He said "Not gonna happen when I waved $2K cash under his nose.
Oh well.
It's a style of a different style. There's reasons why this car would work.

Keep your eyes peeled. I picked up a 1-owner 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis last month for $3200. 100k miles. Meticulously maintained. Rust free. Also - the kicker: It's the rare LSE package and has the uber-rare center console w/ floor shifter. Also has the Handling and Performance Package so it has dual exhaust, a 3.27 rear end and better suspension. If you're looking for Panther Platform cars (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, etc), search CL for private party listings. I got mine from a gentleman who couldn't drive anymore. Private Party listings are where you find the bargains.

Big day of near-misses.

- Two Seize sur Vingt orphaned suit jackets. Good amount of handwork and really nice. No sign of the pants. Here's the kicker: the pants rack had just been gone through by the employees and stuff was "salvaged" to make room for new stuff. Arg! :fu:

- Orphaned windowpane Prada trousers. Some doorknob probably grabbed the jacket and didn't think to look for the pants. Ugh.

On another note, anyone own a Mazda CX-9? Grabbed a brand new set of OEM black carpet floor mats today for a 07-11 CX-9.

Last edited:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Klobber...if you feel the need to part with the Tom Ford tie, please PM me...it's been a week since I bought my last one. Great haul by the way...wish I had the time to hit more than one or two in the same day.

GHo

Reaction score
damn Klobber. what about us little guys at 15 32/33 or 38R? hook a brother up.:tounge:

nice haul nonetheless! :slayer:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Klobber that is outstanding sir, I was just wondering what was this fortune that you spent?  No need to get into individuals, just the entire lot.  This way we can tell you if you will come out on top.

I am down several hundreds at least - around $600 on clothes, $100 on gas, food $100. I reckon close to a grand for this roundabout trip adding in other nik nak stuff from thrift stores not listed here (bought a coffee table, a couple of pistol crossbows, and other bits and pieces of junk). The LV shoes were the most expensive at $150. They had better be worth more than that :devil:. I am sure they have never been worn. I may keep them for myself, but really am hoping someone here will love them and trade good.

Jesus, Klobber.

:cheers:

Dear lord Klobber, 1000 miles of thrifting?! I can see how you might be burned out after that. Some amazing finds there, congrats.

Yup, never again. My wife is the real thrifter, she wanted this trip more than me. I tagged along :laugh:

damn Klobber. what about us little guys at 15 32/33 or 38R? hook a brother up.:tounge:
nice haul nonetheless! :slayer:

Cheers dude. Yeah, I look out for you little guys, but those big finds are tricky. See few big hulking fellows at thrift stores, but lots of smaller guys. That limits the thrifting opportunity by having increased competition. I am bound to dig stuff up, it is only a timing issue. Maybe I will try out the concept of being first through the door at a good thrift store to increase my odds of finding good small sizes.

Last edited:

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dear lord Klobber, 1000 miles of thrifting?!  I can see how you might be burned out after that.  Some amazing finds there, congrats.  

I'm not even going to try following that act, but I've been looking for a messenger/briefcase bag for FOREVER, and I finally found a pretty decent one. It's by Jack Georges (I hadn't heard of it, but ebay seems to suggest it's not too bad).  At $12.74 after discount, it was on the higher end of thrift prices I've paid, but it is in excellent condition (the inside looks completely unused, and it still has the loose inspection tag inside it), and has a really cool soft raised grain leather.  Now I just need a comparable black one and I'm good to go!  Also found some brown leather Sperry Topsiders in my size in pretty good shape for $7 (also not cheap, but another item I've been looking for for awhile).

That's an awesome deal on the bag. I have a Jack Georges bag I paid $375.00 for.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am down several hundreds at least - around $600 on clothes, $100 on gas, food $100. I reckon close to a grand for this roundabout trip adding in other nik nak stuff from thrift stores not listed here (bought a coffee table, a couple of pistol crossbows, and other bits and pieces of junk). The LV shoes were the most expensive at $150. They had better be worth more than that :devil:. I am sure they have never been worn. I may keep them for myself, but really am hoping someone here will love them and trade good.
:cheers:
Yup, never again. My wife is the real thrifter, she wanted this trip more than me. I tagged along :laugh:
Cheers dude. Yeah, I look out for you little guys, but those big finds are tricky. See few big hulking fellows at thrift stores, but lots of smaller guys. That limits the thrifting opportunity by having increased competition. I am bound to dig stuff up, it is only a timing issue. Maybe I will try out the concept of being first through the door at a good thrift store to increase my odds of finding good small sizes.

So where are you selling this stuff? Ebay?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're a lucky, lucky man! I usually have to bribe my wife to come with by buying her lunch somewhere decent. She won't go in to some stores at all because of how "dingy" they are. Achilles knows this. :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads