The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

You are right, those shoes are very attractive. How much are they at the moment, and are they on that 50% off list post Xmas?

Yeah, check em out. I would like to be a little more educated on the top end lux brands so next time I find something, I can buy it with no regrets. My knowledge base is largely in the lower end lux market occupied by the fashion houses ... Only since joining SF did I find out that Hermes is a cream of crop brand. Before I thought they were just an overpriced poor cousin of a major fashion house :facepalm:.

It is food for thought. What is the lowest end brand that one could flip for a profit if, at $26, they came with bust up soles? Helps me in decision making in future.

2. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

3. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

I'd say anything that is $500 and above retail, however if the shoes were in the $10-15 level it might be worthwhile to get some 300-400 level stuff. I figure those you can probably get a nearby cobbler to work on for $50-70. It all depends on what type of profit you are looking for, or if it is for personal use.

http://americanheelers.com/ this site was advertised by the WSJ, as you can see the prices are pretty good.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  4. odiv

odiv Well-Known Member

Wow, those are great. Should I keep refreshing B&S like mad or are you keeping/eBaying?

As for myself, haven't posted in awhile, but thrifting here continues to be shitty. I am travelling to Vancouver twice in the next two months, so hopefully I will have the chance to hit up some better stores. Without sustained shopping, I doubt I'll hit anything big, but after having kept up with this thread I'll be better at knowing the good stuff when I find it.

Next month I might do a few pictures of the few good things I found through the year.

Also, I stopped feeling weird looking through the women's racks ever since the day a full 1/3 of the pants on the men's rack were women's.

5. codhead

codhead Senior member

We've plenty of thrift shops, you just have to very selective as to where you shop. I've been known to travel over 100 miles to hit some of the better shops. Many have also wised up, or so they think. I was in one shop last week (Oxfam, one of those that have wised up and even have an online shop now), they had a fly-front wool & cashmere overcoat (from Blazer, a cheapish UK chain), listed at £49.99, right next to it I found a bespoke Moss Bros, camel Crombie overcoat, cut in military style, with full working football-button cuffs priced at £7.99. I've also found a Kilgour dinner jacket (tux to you guys) rpiced at £4.99 and an Ede & Ravenscroft Loro Piana blazer for £6.99.

You really do have to look hard for the bargains these days but I've got it off to an art now, I can usually scan a rail of coats & suits or a row of suits and simply hit the ones of interest. If there's nothing that immediately leaps out, it's off to the next shop.

6. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

nice, I'm a big fan of British tailoring more so than Italians.

7. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele

Thanks! It's a 39R and, with a bit of sleeve lengthening, it fits me perfectly.

Don't know the size but it fits me pretty well as is. May need to have the waist nipped a bit but, otherwise, good to go.

Pretty sure I'll be keeping everything. Though I will be posting some other items soon that are not my size.

I have the AE Fairfax in black. Great shoes, although I love that brown color. You should snag them if you can.

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow! Thanks for the info, that's pretty impressive. I can say now that I do appreciate Harris Tweed a bit more now, even though most of them aren't my cup of tea (there are definitely exceptions like those gorgeous jackets you posted).

I can imagine you find a lot of Savile Row bespoke stuff over there. It's quite rare here. I've found maybe 4 actual bespoke SR pieces over the past 10 years. I guess that stuff is about as common over there as Oxxford is here.

9. MattR

MattR Senior member

Same here.

Nothing much today. Found a wool Pendelton long sleeve check shirt in my size, made in the US and all. It's quite nice, although SUPER itchy.

Quick tale of woe - There was a wonderful BB makers blue SC in my size, with enough padding to make me think it had to be from a suit. Searched and searched, but the pants weren't anywhere to be found. :)fu:). I was just going to grab it as a SC, but then I noticed this small hole in the left arm :)fu:). It was more than a pull in the wool, so I had to set it back down. So close...

10. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

A couple of finds for me today. I am going to take the Harris Tweed challenge and see what I can get. I paid $7 for a vintage 3 roll 2 brown herringbone with ticket pocket. Crossing my fingers for a decent flip. Also a nice pair of Magnanni loafers size 7M or 7D if anyone is interested. Pics to follow.

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

No clothing thrift stores today. Car thrift stores were on my shopping list.

1993 Mercury Grand Marquis
    $3999 dropped to $3100 before I said a word. Needs a new wiper switch and a new power window regulator. He said "Not gonna happen when I waved $2K cash under his nose.

Oh well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a style of a different style. There's reasons why this car would work.

12. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

For some reason I can see rollin in that car with the windows down playing Digital Underground "Humpty Hump"

13. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

I didn't buy any clothes today, but one of the thrifts here in town got in a bunch of cool vintage signs and advertising collectibles. I bought this Kiwi polish dispenser.

[​IMG]

14. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Hold onto your hats guys – this is the amalgamation of my finds over the long weekend. I travelled approximately 1000miles to collect this stuff – I drove as far South as Carmel, as far North as Eureka, and as far East as Sacramento, not including all the stores I visited in the Bay area. I spent an absolute fortune, and I hope it has been worth my while :devil: . I may not thrift again until after Thanksgiving, I am burned out.

The spread of sizes indicates my selectivity increases for smaller sizes (i.e. lots of big sizes, few small sizes). The reason is simple, I am easy to please in stuff my own size (typically xl to xxl), but the last thing I want is a stock of smaller sizes with potential traders or buyers that are not easily pleased like myself. I could end up with a whole heap of stuff that nobody wants, and I certainly could not wear. I do not want to use my house for hoarding, so I only select the better small sizes I find. I do find lots of Thomas Pink, Turnbull and Asser, Gucci, Versace, Burberry, Armani etc in small sizes, but if I cannot flip them due to Styleforum’s high standards, I am screwed. By small size, I infer anything M or smaller.

What I purchased:

Shirts:
    Finamore White Blue Plaid Button Down Collar, SZ 16/41 (Best shirt find of the weekend)
    Armani Collezioni Peach Tonal Stripe Button Down Collar, SZ 16/41
    Etro Funky Dress Shirt, SZ 42
    Zegna Funky Dress Shirt, SZ L
    Thomas Pink Blue Pink Barrel Stripe Dress Shirt, SZ 16.5
    Ike Behar White Dress Shirt, SZ 17
    Dior Homme White Blue Pinstripe, SZ 17/43 (I will keep this for myself, unless good offer comes in)
    Borrelli White Button Down Collar, SZ XL
    D&G Pink Dress Shirt, SZ XXL, fits like L.
    Lorenzini Beige Dress Shirt, SZ 17.5
    Burberry London Blue Dress Shirt, SZ 17.5
    Armani Collezioni Blue Dress Shirt, SZ 17.5
    Canali White Stripe Dress Shirt, SZ 17.5
    Canali Blue Windowpane Dress Shirt, SZ 17.5
    Gucci White Dress Shirt, SZ 17.5, fits on small/slim side.
    Gucci Funky Dress Shirt, SZ 17.5
    Prada Silver Stripe Dress Shirt, SZ 17.5
    Versace Black Dress Shirt, SZ 18.5
    Etro Red Check? Dress Shirt, SZ 18.5
    Hugo Boss NWT White Dress Shirt, SZ 18.5

Shirts in approximate order top to bottom (no pics of Ike Behar, Armani Blue Shirt or Hugo Boss shirts. The one Canali shirt I listed before and decided to add to this list again).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sweaters:
    Prada Casual Merino Wool Sweater made in Italy, SZ XL
    Fiesole Green Merino Wool Sweater Vest made in Italy, SZ L
    W. Bill 100% Cashmere Vest made in Scotland (Yellow) , SZ ~ XL
    Johnson 100% Cashmere Vest made in Scotland (Blue Argyle) , SZ ~ XL
    Barrie 100% Cashmere Sweater made in Scotland (Gray), SZ ~ XL
    Barbour Merino Wool Beige Sweater, SZ ~ XL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shoes:
    Louis Vuitton Driving Loafers (new?) SZ 46, ~ SZ 12US
    Tods Driving Loafers SZ 12 D
    Florsheim Boots (new?) SZ 11.5 D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pants / Jeans:
    Dolce and Gabbana Black Basic Jeans, SZ 58.
    Diesel Jeans (Blue), SZ 38 (still has tag, and I only paid $8.99). Great find :bigstar:
    Canali Brown Dress Pants, SZ 54
    Canali Grey Dress Pants (never worn?), SZ 54 (waist let out to 40, I may keep them)
    Burberry Beige / Tan Pants, SZ 38
    Brooks Brothers White Clark Pants, SZ 40 (never worn?)
    Faconnable Brown Cords, SZ 38

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suits / Jackets:
    Loro Piana Blue Demin colored linen deconstructed Sport Coat SZ 54 (Keeping, want 1 season of wear, then flip)
    Isaia Navy Sport Coat SZ 56
    Brunello Cucinelli White Blue Barrelstripe Seersucker Style Sport Coat, SZ 56 (Keeping this, want 1 season of wearing, then flip)
    Zegna Mainline Cashmere Jacket, SZ 54 (my best thrift purchase ever)
    Yes, I have found Hermes Leather jacket and I have found Kiton jacket where both will be flipped next year to a certain member here (you know who you are), but this one tops them all. Softest cashmere, very recent, and absolutely brand new. Would have retailed for over $2.5K. It will be tough for me to let go.
    Chevignon leather jacket, SZ XXL
    Wonderful jacket from this Italian Brand, would have cost over $800 retail. Great leather quality. I don’t think I will flip this one, unless ………………… (fill in blanks)
    Nordstrom Beige Linen Jacket 46L (still has spair buttons, NWOT)
    Saks Navy Jacket 46L (NWT)

Someone please take the Nordstrom and Saks off my hands, I am out of space. You get them for $15 each.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ties:
    Stefano Ricci Black Polka dots NWT (with Neiman Marcus tag, price $29 – how could NM sell so cheap? I thought Ricci was at least a moderately high end label?????)
    Brioni Gold Tie NWT (with Neiman Marcus tag, price $99.
    Valentino Purple Tie NWT
    Wilkes Bashford Floral Print Blue Tie NWT (MSRP $125)
    Charvet Polka Dot Tie
    Valentino Green Tie
    Gucci Blue Swirl Tie
    Tom Ford Black Silver Stripe Tie
    Patrick James Blue Tie
    Robert Talbott Red Tie
    Robert Talbott Floral Tie
    Robert Talbott Brown Tie
    Robert Talbott Blue Tie
    Robert Graham Purple Tie
    Corneliani Pink Herringbone (?) Tie
    Ralph Lauren Polo Green Tie
    Ralph Lauren Purple Label Yellow Gold Tie
    Faconnable Silver Tie
    Hugo Boss zig zag Red Tie
    YSL Rive Gauche Red Tie with Circles
    Brooks Brothers Yellow Tie
    Brooks Brothers Red Tie
    Brooks Brothers Pink Tie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other:
    Leather hat made in South Africa.
    I keep the hat, it is made from Kudu leather, cool as hell, I may even hang it on the wall to use as home decoration (when I am not wearing it). I am also looking for a hat like this with crocodile teeth, must be genuine antelope or buffalo leather.

[​IMG]

Bodyglove watch.
    Who is a surfer here with a need for a watch resistant to 300m? Watch retails at $160 (I think it is the Kuda King judging by Amazon), and it appears unused. Needs a new battery. It is quite cool, I will keep for myself if no takers here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Dude, I was just about to ask if you guys ever found any cool 80's artifacts -- Vision Gator, Body Glove, Vuarnet...

...and of course:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.