Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AHS

AHS Senior member

Recently:

Saks wool SC, double-vented, ticket pocket:

[​IMG]

Wow, that's a beautiful sportcoat. Any chance it could be a 38 and you want to get rid of it?:D

2. mainy

mainy Senior member

I'm still working on it. I've got through the shirts and shoes, but there is still a lot left, probably a week or two. Alan, I need to PM you back as well, haven't forgotten about you!

3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^^ Nice! Those AE Fairfax shoes are gorgeous!

It sounded like you came across a big lot of SW&D stuff last week when you mentioned a bunch of SF-approved stuff and some Engineered Garments pants. Any chance you'd be listing that stuff up soon? I'm jonsin for some SW&D-ish Fall/winter stuff.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

5. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

I have the diplomats in chili, and i love them. The nordstrom rack by me has several pairs of those fairfaxs, but i have yet to pull the trigger. Those are gorgeous shoes!

6. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I can only imagine the enormity of the cow that donates its hide to make wholecuts that will fit your feet! :lol:

7. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

If it's a consignment shop, they might take something off if you ask, Both the Burberry trenches we have were bought at consignments and they knocked money off both.

8. MattR

MattR Senior member

Wow! That's fantastic. Shoes can be so hard to come by. At least to get them in wearable condition where it's worth actually paying the added money thrifts charge for shoes.

9. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

10. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

my scarf is made in scotland, im pretty sure i have a hermes sweater either made in italy or scotland id have to check

11. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Im only a 12D :D

The have a pair of Fairfaxs there in size 14 or 15, now THATS big!

12. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

For what it's worth regarding the $26 Edward Green shoes not picked up. I found a pair a couple of years back that the soles were hammered, but the tops were in pretty good condition. I sold them as is for close to $100. So if you see them and they aren't too abused grab them.

13. codhead

codhead Senior member

There's been a lot of upheaval on the Isles that make Harris Tweed over recent years and although it may not be as fashionable as it once was, is still very desirable. All genuine Harris Tweeds are hand-dyed and hand-loomed by crofters and no two crofters seem to produce identical fabrics. If you find a wrecked Harris Tweed garment, try pulling it apart and then tease apart the individual threads, when you look at them in close-up, you'll see the myriad of colours that are included. It really is a work of art.

I've never had a problem selling Harris Teed on 'the bay' but if you're looking for real exclusivity in tweed, then you need to be looking at H Huntsman. Not the so-called "bespoke" that is usually seen from US ebayers but the genuine, Savile Row bespoke that has no label, other than the tailor's label inside the jacket pocket. Hunstman's tweeds are produced only on the Isle of Islay, to a design specified by Huntsman that changes regularly. A Huntsman tweed jacket would cost just south of £4,000 GBP but that's the price you pay for true quality. Here's three that have been through my hands in the last year:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All three were bought from the same charity (thrift) shop and returned me 3000% on my investment

I would've kept them for my own wardrobe but they were too far from my size to be altered. My favourite go-to winter coat is a full-length DB from Welsh & Jefferies that was originally tailored in 1951. Fortunately it fits like a glove but is still well capable of being altered, in fact many people return to Savile Row to ask for their grandfather's dress suits to be altered to fit them.

Another poster mentioned working cuffs on a jacket, you should always leave the bottom button undone.

14. GHo

GHo Senior member

what size is that Magee coat? :inlove:

15. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

Wow, you must post more in this thread in the future. 3x Huntsman? Are there a lot of nice bespoke findings in thrift shops in Britain?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.