• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey nataku, any update on the sweater ordeal??

Eh, still fighting with Paypal. Followed up with the local PD and Paypal today. Not gonna let this one go without a fight. Looks like the thread got blackholed. I had a feeling it would eventually.

Last edited:

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^Drat. I tried on a 42 at Hall's yesterday, but it was too big. If you get a 40 let me know.

That's a great price for NWOT.

Last edited:

div25sec9

Reaction score

It sounds like fakes are more common than I thought. I can spot a fake LV, but my eye has not spotted how to tell a fake Hermes, Gucci, etc bag. I think I only ever pay $10 - $60 for bags when I get em, Im thinking I have scored a bunch of fakes. Dammit - it is being like told as a little kid Santa Claus does not exist :(

Quick question - if a Hermes garment has inner tag with washing instructions in chinese, what does that mean?

I know the answer sound obvious, but do Hermes make exclusive stuff for Chinese only market?

I don't often look at purses as it's 99.9% fake, and they are often marked up regardless. It is hard to tell sometimes the fake ones, but these are the rules I follow:
1. Is it too flashy? Fakes often go overboard with logos and shiny bits to bring attention. These are quickly weeded out.
2. Does it feel like a $1200 bag? Is the leather soft, are the zippers and snaps the quality you would expect?
3. Are the details there that a fake wouldn't bother with? Is the lining of high quality? Are there tags and serial numbers internally? If so, are those items of high quality (does the leather work on the SN and the embroidery on the tag perfect)?
4. If it passes all of the above, it's most likely real...but this rarely occurs.

Good purses get big bucks, but the effort is huge to find a good one...then again, a happy wife is sometimes worth that time and effort

div25sec9

Reaction score

Not to change the subject but...

I had a funny/strange experience with a thrift store volunteer yesterday. She was pricing items and pulled what she said to be a vintage Christian Dior scarf out of the pile she was to put away. She exclaimed to the other women how wonderful it was so I decided to walk over and take a look. I examined it and found it to be very poor quality, and quite possibly made of a synthetic blend, Christian Dior Monsieur. I politely told her that it was not a very nice scarf but she looked perplexed and exclaimed, but it’s Dior! Priced it at $28 dollars. Didn’t think we established a good rapport but she followed me around the rest of the time I was in there and asked me what she should be pricing certain items at. Has this ever happened to you??
I had a feeling like, this :eh: this :lookaround: and this
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif
all in one. (Sorry if this has been previously stated)

are you nuts? You're tying the noose to hang yourself with. Prices are already going up, we don't need SF members helping out with that. If someone buys a crap scarf for $28, that's $28 dollars less that they'll be spending on something you might want to buy.

The only time I would try something like that would be for an item I wanted. "A Brioni suit, that's garbage! You should mark that at $10. Don't bother hanging that nonsense up, I'll take it off the store's hands right now so you don't have to deal with it anymore." :D

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you nuts? You're tying the noose to hang yourself with. Prices are already going up, we don't need SF members helping out with that. If someone buys a crap scarf for $28, that's $28 dollars less that they'll be spending on something you might want to buy.
The only time I would try something like that would be for an item I wanted. "A Brioni suit, that's garbage! You should mark that at $10. Don't bother hanging that nonsense up, I'll take it off the store's hands right now so you don't have to deal with it anymore."
biggrin.gif

Haha! I wish that were the case! I am telling you, I was not trying to help her price it! She asked, I was just trying to be nice. I guess I will accept that I made a foul in this case, but those volunteers are just so nice...and old.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up some of the usual on my rounds yesterday, a blue lacoste cardigan, a Mani by Giorgio Armani SC, a Barneys dress shirt with a bankers collar, a Canali half zip sweater, a Made in Italy PRL tie, and a ton of wooden hangers thanks to the advice by thewgp. Also picked up two items that I absolutely love.
A Cricketeer Harris Tweed SC

Loro Piana 100% Camel Hair

I really love this Loro Piana coat, but I was wondering if it was anything special, or just another piece to add to my closet.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really love this Loro Piana coat, but I was wondering if it was anything special, or just another piece to add to my closet.

It is Loro Piana fabric, not actually made by Loro Piana's own tailors and hence not their brand / in their collections.
If you like it, keep it ;)

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is Loro Piana fabric, not actually made by Loro Piana's own tailors and hence not their brand / in their collections.
If you like it, keep it
wink.gif
Thanks for the help. I rarely dwell in anything Loro Piana so I have no idea. Is there anyway to find out who made this coat?

MattR

Reaction score

Picked up some of the usual on my rounds yesterday, a  blue lacoste cardigan, a Mani by Giorgio Armani SC, a Barneys dress shirt with a bankers collar, a Canali half zip sweater, a Made in Italy PRL tie, and a ton of wooden hangers thanks to the advice by thewgp. Also picked up two items that I absolutely love.
A Cricketeer Harris Tweed SC

This is really nice. People around here don't seem to appreciate Cricketeer too much, but it has a pretty good reputation on trad forums. I own a brown check SC from them, and it's my favorite casual SC.

Would love to know more about the PRL tie. Design, color, etc.

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
ok first Thomas Pink I've seen at a store where I usually pick TP for $3.99 now its marked to $7.99 its good shape plain white twill double cuff 16/34, but with stain that on back that could probably be treated with Oxy/vinegar combo.

Saw a Zegna Soft jacket, but kind of old with no vents so I passed. Some guy saw me checking it out and came up to me, he smelled like booze. He asks me what brand it is. I pretended that I didn't know and let him look at it. He was like "ohh zegna, they are only good with shirts"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics