The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Eh, still fighting with Paypal. Followed up with the local PD and Paypal today. Not gonna let this one go without a fight. Looks like the thread got blackholed. I had a feeling it would eventually.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

2. mainy

mainy Senior member

i have a nwot one (not from thrifting) that I want 150$ for but... it's a 42 :( I might be getting some more though, a 40 is a possibility

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^Drat. I tried on a 42 at Hall's yesterday, but it was too big. If you get a 40 let me know.

That's a great price for NWOT.

4. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

I don't often look at purses as it's 99.9% fake, and they are often marked up regardless. It is hard to tell sometimes the fake ones, but these are the rules I follow:
    1. Is it too flashy? Fakes often go overboard with logos and shiny bits to bring attention. These are quickly weeded out.
    2. Does it feel like a $1200 bag? Is the leather soft, are the zippers and snaps the quality you would expect?
    3. Are the details there that a fake wouldn't bother with? Is the lining of high quality? Are there tags and serial numbers internally? If so, are those items of high quality (does the leather work on the SN and the embroidery on the tag perfect)?
    4. If it passes all of the above, it's most likely real...but this rarely occurs.

Good purses get big bucks, but the effort is huge to find a good one...then again, a happy wife is sometimes worth that time and effort

5. MattR

MattR Senior member

That sounds fun! Maybe we should set something up.

6. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

are you nuts? You're tying the noose to hang yourself with. Prices are already going up, we don't need SF members helping out with that. If someone buys a crap scarf for $28, that's $28 dollars less that they'll be spending on something you might want to buy.

The only time I would try something like that would be for an item I wanted. "A Brioni suit, that's garbage! You should mark that at $10. Don't bother hanging that nonsense up, I'll take it off the store's hands right now so you don't have to deal with it anymore." :D

7. MattR

MattR Senior member

Ha, no. It won't turn your brain to liquid shit for a full five minutes, no.

It just links to some VERY weird sexual fetish sites. Not that I'd know anything about that...

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

but whai????

lol @ women's clothing stories...

9. tben

tben Senior member

Haha! I wish that were the case! I am telling you, I was not trying to help her price it! She asked, I was just trying to be nice. I guess I will accept that I made a foul in this case, but those volunteers are just so nice...and old.

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I'll drink to that :cheers:

11. tben

tben Senior member

Picked up some of the usual on my rounds yesterday, a blue lacoste cardigan, a Mani by Giorgio Armani SC, a Barneys dress shirt with a bankers collar, a Canali half zip sweater, a Made in Italy PRL tie, and a ton of wooden hangers thanks to the advice by thewgp. Also picked up two items that I absolutely love.
    A Cricketeer Harris Tweed SC
    [​IMG]

Loro Piana 100% Camel Hair
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really love this Loro Piana coat, but I was wondering if it was anything special, or just another piece to add to my closet.

12. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

It is Loro Piana fabric, not actually made by Loro Piana's own tailors and hence not their brand / in their collections.
    If you like it, keep it ;)

13. tben

tben Senior member

Thanks for the help. I rarely dwell in anything Loro Piana so I have no idea. Is there anyway to find out who made this coat?

14. MattR

MattR Senior member

This is really nice. People around here don't seem to appreciate Cricketeer too much, but it has a pretty good reputation on trad forums. I own a brown check SC from them, and it's my favorite casual SC.

Would love to know more about the PRL tie. Design, color, etc.

15. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

ok first Thomas Pink I've seen at a store where I usually pick TP for $3.99 now its marked to $7.99 its good shape plain white twill double cuff 16/34, but with stain that on back that could probably be treated with Oxy/vinegar combo.

Saw a Zegna Soft jacket, but kind of old with no vents so I passed. Some guy saw me checking it out and came up to me, he smelled like booze. He asks me what brand it is. I pretended that I didn't know and let him look at it. He was like "ohh zegna, they are only good with shirts"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.