The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I bought a fake Hermes purse once and sold it to a lady friend for 5x cost. She knew it was fake, but didn't give a toss. I know lots of women who are quite happy to rock the fakes they buy on holiday in SE Asia. I've never understood it.

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

A lot of people pay insane prices for fake purses. I see booths at large neighborhood garage sales and flea markets selling "Replica" purses for $50-$70!

3. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

My wife is pretty good at spotting the fakes. She always makes it a point to tell the stores what is fake and asks them who authenticates their purses (a couple stores here say they do). However the fakes are getting so good it hard to tell. We saw a small Louis Vuitton at the GW where my parents live that neither of could tell. All the LV's were correct (a real one will never cut off the LV), and the dust bag it had with it looked real (most fakes don't have dust bags). But we both felt $40 was a bit high to take a chance on.

4. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

DELETE

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012

5. SnarlPatrick

SnarlPatrick Senior member

Just found this outrageous lambskin leather peacoat. Anyone recognize this tag? It says "Yannick" and "made in France"?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

6. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

Yannick is probably the name of the man who commissioned the piece. According to Wiki, 'Yannick' is also the name of a French-Canadian hockey player.

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

[​IMG]

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^ Love that coat, SnarlPatrick.

9. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I found two cashmere Kiton suits and Brioni silk sport coat at the Goodwill on Rockville turnpike in Gaithersburg, MD

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

This is also helpful with women's belt racks.

I sometimes glance at the purses, but I'm so clueless I don't even bother. I did pick up a Brooks Brothers clutch for my wife one time.

11. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

SnarlPatrick, that's a great example of something awesome with character to pick up for yourself. A label needn't be SF-approved or "high-end" to be amazing! :)

I've never seen a designer purse worth picking up that I was positive wasn't fake. I see a LOT of awful fakes hanging on "showcase racks" with super-high price tags slapped on them, and apparently people buy them.

The one possible exception is Coach - their stuff is essentially the bottom-entry-level and cheap enough that they might reasonably make it to a thrift store pretty often. Cheapness is relative, of course - but I've seen small Coach bags tagged $100+ at thrift stores that - even if genuine - were likely no more than $200-250 at FULL BOAT RETAIL.

Of course, from what little understanding I have of womens handbags, most of it is crap anymore anyway, other than Hermes and a tiny bit of the more expensive stuff at other makers. Guys, I highly recommend reading the book Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster - it's really eye-opening if you haven't read it. Check it out of the library at least. Seriously.

12. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Went out today....found not a damn thing.
    These flippers have scoured every interesting item and left pretty much not even mediocre garbage.
    Its been quite some time since I have seen anything exciting.
    I used to find at least some cool pants or shirts, but as of late, I get excited when I see a 20 year old zegna tie.
    Could it be the times of finding Brioni casmere blazers and Kiton suits are gone for my market?

On another note, thrifitng with Nataku is FUN. We need to have thrifting ambassadors who we can connect with when traveling!

13. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

x2

14. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Sounds like I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Looks like you have some pretty good finds, I especially like the Oxxford. My only advice to you is to be careful buying things that are pretty dated. Its easy to get excited when you see a good brand, but you need discipline to tell you its too old and outdated. If you keep up with your thrifting, you'll eventually come across some nice, recent suits and sportcoats. You'll have a full closet, and will want to get rid of all the old stuff you bought a few months earlier, only to find that it isn't worth much on ebay. That's what happened to me at least. It looks like you made better purchases than me though, so you should be able to sell most of the stuff if you want to.

15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

It sounds like fakes are more common than I thought. I can spot a fake LV, but my eye has not spotted how to tell a fake Hermes, Gucci, etc bag. I think I only ever pay $10 - $60 for bags when I get em, Im thinking I have scored a bunch of fakes. Dammit - it is being like told as a little kid Santa Claus does not exist :(

Quick question - if a Hermes garment has inner tag with washing instructions in chinese, what does that mean?

I know the answer sound obvious, but do Hermes make exclusive stuff for Chinese only market?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.