The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden

No. Not Yet, but I have already removed the spikes, and they are still heavy as hell, I cant see walking a round of golf in them, it would be so uncomfortable, But i can totally see wearing them with some nice flat front trousers, the pictures do them no justice,,, they are beautiful :nodding:

2. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

good way is to go through all these threads to learn the brands. Being at NYC I'm sure there are plenty of goods out there, then again there might be more flippers as well.

I would go to the neiman marcus online catalog and just look over that as well for current designers.

3. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Oh yes, there is no need to feel uncomfortable looking through womans clothing, particularly if you are looking for some misplaced suit pants.

Besides, woman go through mens clothing looking for something nice for their husband's all the time. Not a lot of guys like thrifting. Why should now a man looking through woman's clothing invoke all the steriotypes and paranoid delusions someone may think you are a transvestite or cross dresser.

I once was shuffling through womans pants, and a lady pointed out that these were woman pants. I had a pair in my hand, placed them against my waist and asked her if they flattered my figure :laugh:

Another lady once commented on me looking through womans clothing, but she said something along the lines of "I wish men were more like you spending time to shop something nice for your wife". She even offered to help me look for something for my wife - what a wonderful, good natured person! I did not have the heart to tell her I was brand whoring, so when she found a pair of Gap slacks, I thanked her and bought them for my wife. And my wife liked the pants ;)

I also go through handbags all the time, I am quite skilled at pointing out a fake Louis Vuitton Vs Legitimate one :embar: :slayer: .

I would be simply stunned if I found out from you guys you do not look through handbags - a good handbag is worth way more than a suit :)

Nice try buddy, add another $250 I will add in a couple of cuban cigars ;)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

I'm about 3 months into dressing like a grownup thanks to urgings from my girlfriend and sites like putthison.com. I'm about 2 months into thrifting since I developed a pretty good eye for quality but don't have the budget to buy everything I'd like. Thanks to reading this thread religiously for a while and putthison's thrifting how-to I think I've made some good progress. I thought I'd get some feedback from you guys since you're more knowledgeable and experienced. Here's the stuff I've found so far...

Suits:

Hickey Freeman 41R grey with subtle blue and red stripe. It's from '91 but is pretty timeless and in very good condition. It fit me nearly perfectly. I just had to have the pants hemmed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oxxford 41R: Grey flannel with a subtle herringbone pattern. Not sure when this is from, but it's in very good shape. I haven't gotten it to the tailor yet, but I think it just needs a bit of waist suppression.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sportcoats / Blazers:

My first blazer I picked up before I started thrifting as a vintage item. It's a Walter Morton blue blazer, and I found that this was another name that Hickey Freeman distributed under to get around exclusive distribution deals. It was a bit tight when I got it, but my tailor did great work letting it out and it fits well now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really like this Nordstrom sportcoat. No idea who made it, but I love the houndstooth pattern and the purple and green stripes in the pattern. It was marked as a 38 but fit me perfectly:

[​IMG]

I found these 2 Gieves and Hawkes jackets at the same place as the Oxxford suit. The grey one was probably a suit coat, but it fits so well and is so well made that I've been wearing it as an odd jacket. The navy blazer was missing a sleeve button, but somehow my tailor had a perfect match in the back and put it on for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got a Hickey Freeman Ltd. sportcoat and a Brooks Brothers Brooksease black blazer as well as an untagged tweed sportcoat from a guy I traded with. I know neither is their best lines, but I love the colors in the HF and they both fit well after some tailoring work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've been looking for a camel blazer for a month or so, but all of the ones I found were pretty beat up. A couple weeks ago I found this one that was new with tags and picked it up. I'm not familiar with the store from the tags, but it seemed well made.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the same time I found this Hickey Freeman sportcoat in a size 38 that I really wish fit me. It's darker brown than it looks here, more chocolate. I'm sending this one to someone I know

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found another Gieves and Hawkes this week at a different place. This one is a tweed I was hoping was my size, but no, it's a 39. It's a bit rumpled but in good condition. This one is available if someone's interested:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven't found much in the way of outerwear, and the one thing I did find isn't my size. I was very excited to find this Aquascutum trench coat in good condition, but unfortunately it's a 44L. It's also available. The only wear I found on it was at the end of the belt (pictured):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For pants I haven't had a lot of luck... I found a pair of 100% wool BR slacks I like, but nothing special. The one good thing I found was a pair of 31x32 NWOT Nudie Jeans. Not sure why someone bought them and never wore them, but there they were. I'm dipping my toes in the eBay pool with them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For shirts I've had mixed success... I found a Prada shirt with MOP buttons I like, but it needed a lot of tailor work. Same with the Marks and Spencer MOP shirt I found. I also keep finding damage to the shirts after I bring them home like the Hugo Boss and Brooks Brothers casual shirts I found [​IMG]

I've found quite a few ties and built a collection almost completely from thrifting. My absolute favorite is a vintage Oscar de la Renta that still had the price tag in it. It's magenta with white pindots and is the absolute softest thing I've ever felt. Some of these could be available if you're interested, just not that one or the Aquascutum purple and green...

[​IMG]
    Does anyone know anything about the one on the left? It's pretty cool and is embroidered silk, not printed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For shoes I haven't had so much luck... I traded a beat up pair of Barney's brogues and a pair of Fratelli Rosetti pebble grain along with a Faconnable shirt for the sportcoats above. I've picked up 2 pairs of Florsheim loafers, one penny and one tassel, and I picked up these Ferragamo loafers that cleaned up pretty well, but the only really nice pair of shoes I've seen were some Church's at the same place as the Oxxford suit which, unfortunately, had cracks in the leather.

[​IMG]

Sorry this is so long... That's been a couple months work. Thanks so much for the great information in this thread!

5. woolnotmutton

pro right there lol.. what are some good handbag brands? I usually just try to spot anything resembling a croc/ostrich leather lol, but usually its all faux stuff. What are some of the good purses that you have picked up?

6. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Found a great advertising piece I think all can appreciate. Shows a bit better in real life as it can either hang on the wall or stands up like a picture! [​IMG] D.

7. woolnotmutton

neat!

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Women's outerwear, sweaters, belts and scarves are all worth checking out. If you're worried about being caught in the women's section a wedding ring is all the cover you need.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thats really fucking creepy actually. Its like a Kanamit masterbation device.

10. MattR

MattR Senior member

This is not something that should be googled lightly.

11. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Other than vintage pieces, picked up Hermes, LV, Gucci, Prada, Fendi and numerous other brands. I usually leave Coach where it stands, unless it is really nice. Picked up a great Ralph Lauren Polo bag a few weeks ago.

:uhoh:

12. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

worse than Blue Waffle?

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I've tried before but haven't had much luck other than some authentic, recent Coach bags (that were miraculously prices at $3.99) that somehow found their way into my wife's handbag collection.....

Seems that fake or not, designer hand-bags are the first thing to find their way to the silent auction or to have a $200 price tag plastered on it.

You've got some great finds and are off to a good start label-wise, especially on the Oxxford, the Nudies and that killer Charvet bow tie! :slayer:

On the other hand, some of that stuff is very dated, though. Especially the Gieves & Hawkes navy blazer (yep, this is not an orhpan. Brass buttons give it away as a blazer). Super low gorge and low button stance. Try and be more picky with styling and details. Low gorges look awful, IMO.

Truth!

:laugh:

14. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

I was afraid to google it, now I know I wont :eek:

I post a better pic..it ain't that creepy!

D.

15. mainy

mainy Senior member

I will typically give the women's coats and jackets a quick once through - easy tip, to find a men's suit or sportcoat in the women's section... just look for the jacket that has way longer sleeves, or way longer body (usually they will be hanging down) :nodding: Real time saver. As for what people think? Who freaking cares, it's a thrift store... maybe I cross dress on the weekends, haters can hate :rotflmao:

As for purses, hm, it seems to me like anything nice always has some fat price tag on it. And there are so many fakes... That's one of those things where I have no idea how you avoid buying fakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.