The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I'd say all that is true but part of it is where you are too. I went from, no lie, finding cashmere Kiton suits to the best thing I find is a Brook Brother's tie. All because i moved from Washington DC to Richmond VA

2. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

Where in DC did you find cashmere Kiton suits???? I've hit every store from Manassas into DC and up into the Silver Spring area and never once saw anything from Kiton. I had to go to Cleveland for that!

Found a black Zegna reversible overcoat today. Pretty sure this is it. Nary a flaw or stain on it and it is, of course, just a little too short in the sleeves. Up for trade if anyone is interested. I can send measurements and pics.

3. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden

talked with a spokes person for the walk-over company today ( cust service was clueless, sent pics and the shoe number and they were indeed made by the company . the last time they made wingtip golf shoes was 20 years. I have decided to get these babies re-soled

4. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

You don't golf? I'd keep those as they are.

5. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Not quite a thrift related question. I bought this Burberry suit last year, it is a heavy weight wool / cashmere blend suit, and is too warm for me to wear in California - this is a cold weather suit. It was originally $1495 retail, I paid something like $550 for it. I assume I will never get my money back for it, but what is this suit worth NWT? $50? $100? $150? I would really hope to get a minimum of $350 for it, but is that possible?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

i think its entirely possible on ebay.

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

That's a cool pattern/color and it's recent too. I think $350 is definitely in the realm of possibility on eBay.

8. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Thanks guys, I will try it out on the Bay. $350 would be great, I bought the suit on impulse and if I take a $200 hit from what I paid, it will be lesson learned. I would have worn the suit had the temperature been 10 degrees cooler in these parts.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  9. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Damn that's my size...I'll give you $50.00 shipped Personal Payment ;)

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Oooohhh, yeah....

Gonna have to go ahead and veto that idea, mmmkay? Yeah...

I saw this guy once, an old guy, standing befofe a cheerleading outfit, apparently ruminating on its sexxiness (the letters stitched wavily across its breast indicated it came from a middle school). All I'm saying is, the one time I've rooted through women's pants, I drew the same kind of stares. :uhoh:

Never again!

11. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

You've gotta go through them! You HAVE to! Just go through for what you're going for. I don't usually rummage through, I just keep the jacket in my hand kind of held up to the rack and try to look for anything vaguely similar in pattern/color to check in detail.

If you really feel the need to explain yourself to someone eyeing you oddly, saying one of two things works every time: 1) I'm looking for the pants to match this jacket or 2) I'm looking for pants for my wife/gf/significant other/whatever other female. But really, just don't stop-n-sniff and you'll be fine. It's all in your head, honest. :)

Put it this way - I've gone through every pair of women's pants in the store to turn up a pair of Oxxford to match a jacket. If I found a Brioni - which has never happened - I'd probably be even more willing to move mountains. ;)

(Note: I've found the pants in womens only a handful of times ever... but it has happened and is worth checking!)

12. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Every time I've looked through the women's pants trying to find the match....I've had as much luck as I have playing the Power Ball.

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+10000 to TheWGP

Who cares what other people think. If anyone asks, I'll tell them. I do what The WGP does too. I make it obvious too, holding out the sleeve of the jacket trying to match the pattern. Hell, I shop for my wife too - I don't care what people think! :laugh: The WGP hit the nail on the head too, it's all in your head. You think people are staring and the feeling is amplified.

I can't begin to tell you all the awesome suits I would have missed out on if I wouldn't have checked the women's. The most recent one that I remember is a recent Oxxford Glen "Summer Plaids and Checks" cashmere suit. Others included Brioni, recent Zegna, more Oxxford, Samuelsohn....etc.

If I find signs of good stuff, I turn the store upside-down. Where there is smoke, there is fire. The local thrift had some nice Stefano Ricci shirts this past summer. Found three in the men's shirts. Scoured the women's blouse racks and found an additional Ricci silk shirt.

14. Master Milano

Master Milano Senior member

Nice pickups, what are some really good brands? I'm not too familiar with the ones from the MC side. I"m aware of Kiton and Brioni and Drakes for accessories.

15. MattR

MattR Senior member

This is largely the reason I hide things there when I don't have the funds right then and there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.