• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post them here for all to learn from if they are - but yeah, post em.

Here are the PICS. I show Versace and Dolce and Gabbana jeans. Are both fakes? Please help Styleforum! I am wondering if consignment store sold me fakes, given odd sizing of Versace Jeans.

Versace:

Dolce and Gabbana:

That RLBL sure looks nice ;)

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ +1. What you find all amounts to how much time you invest and if you have good timing/luck. The more time you spend, the more of a chance you'll be in the right place at the right time. The Barbour I found was all about timing. I was eyeing the rack through the doors to the back room and waited for it to come out. Pounced on it as it hit the floor, just before 3 other people jumped into it.
Today I met up with member Achilles who was in town. We hit up four stores but only lucked out at two. Had a good time, though. It was nice meeting up with you again, Chris!
He found me a gorgeous NWT Southwick sportcoat that fits me well. I like the pattern but not so sure the colors work on me. Regardless, it was an awesome find - thanks again! :)
Also scored this wild Dolcepunta tie.
P1040751.jpg

P1040752.jpg
P1040753.jpg

P1040754.jpg

Nataku it was great thrifting with you as well! I'm still amazed with your knowledge of just about anything worth buying in thrift stores. We were waking through the bags and he spots the only one worth buying instantly! Then when walking through the cookware he notices a brand name and goes on to tell me about the quality.

Needless to say, I have a lot to learn!

I had passed over a oxxford SC that Nataku noticed, he was gracious enough to let me have it :slayer:

I found a couple of sweaters, the one I really like has a hole in the sleeve I didn't notice :censored: Still going to try and fix it though.

It was an awesome learning experience, I hope to thrift with you again soon!

I will try and post pics later.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That RLBL sure looks nice ;)

:lol:, good spot, I did not even notice the suit from the pics. The suit is hanging in my wardrobe now ;)

Nataku it was great thrifting with you as well! I'm still amazed with your knowledge of just about anything worth buying in thrift stores. We were waking through the bags and he spots the only one worth buying instantly! Then when walking through the cookware he notices a brand name and goes on to tell me about the quality.
I had passed over a oxxford SC that Nataku noticed, he was gracious enough to let me have it :slayer:
I found a couple of sweaters, the one I really like has a hole in the sleeve I didn't notice :censored: Still going to try and fix it though.

I would like to thrift with both you guys, you arrange a trip to CA, and I will take time off work. We hit the State thrifts and clean them out :cheers:

Last edited:

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Went to nordstrom rack and dug through all the clearance stuff. Found 3 Zegna ties for $26/ea..

MattR

Reaction score
Is anyone interested in either of the following? These ARE NOT in my possession yet, but I have them hiding at the thrift store. Can't guarantee they will be there, but I can go back and look. You have to let me know before 3:30 EST.

BB 2B grey pinstripe 1818 Madison suit - 48L/43W, everything was mint, but pants had a cuff. I measured sleeve length at about 24.5", but didn't get an inseam length.

BB 2B navy 1818 Madison SC (no pants) - 45R, I didn't take measurements on this one, but it looked great and unaltered, except it's a bit wrinkly. Only a light amount of padding, so it could pass as a great SC.

These are half-canvas, according to customer service at BB.

I will pick up the 48L for $100 shipped and the 45R for $50 shipped.

Let me know before 3:30 EST. Again, can't promise they will still be there, but these were awesome, and I didn't want to pass them up.

::EDIT:: I lowered the 48L pickup price to $100 shipped, because I realize there is some risk with the pants length. At worst, you'll have an excellent BB Madison to try and resell.

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:lol:, good spot, I did not even notice the suit from the pics. The suit is hanging in my wardrobe now ;)
I would like to thrift with both you guys, you arrange a trip to CA, and I will take time off work. We hit the State thrifts and clean them out :cheers:

I would love that!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Glad you had a good time and found some great stuff! Let me know next time you're in town and we can hit some new spots too! :D

I'm down! My wife is from Calif., so we try to get down there once a year. It'a bit of a drive from SF, as she's from the Phelan/Hesperia (High Desert) area, but we could most certainly try and work something out.

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm down! My wife is from Calif., so we try to get down there once a year. It'a bit of a drive from SF, as she's from the Phelan/Hesperia (High Desert) area, but we could most certainly try and work something out.

I know some great spots in Southern California, I go down south quite often so maybe all three of us could correlate our schedules in future. Southern CA is better than Northern CA for thrifting in any case.

Last edited:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found this last week and forgot to post....falls under the interesting/nostalgia category:

A NWT Sears Dragon (we called them the "Braggin Dragon") sweater in a size large. It was too cool to pass up. The story behind this for the younger guys was in the late '70's/ early '80's, then IZOD Lacoste was all the rage. It's what all the cool kids wore (I had to save my own money to buy one because my parents wouldn't). To capitalize on this, several stores came out with their own brands. Sears had the Dragon, JC Penny the Fox, and then there was Le Tigre (which I still see is made) that the better stores sold.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GO4cp.jpg

JKo5M.jpg

Oh my God, it's a mirage...
I'm tellin' y'all, it's sabotage

Size 46. $20, no pants. :fu: :fu: :fu:

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GO4cp.jpg

JKo5M.jpg

Oh my God, it's a mirage...
I'm tellin' y'all, it's sabotage

Size 46. $20, no pants. :fu: :fu: :fu:

Ouch, that is harsh. That jacket would be tough to use as an odd jacket, but it is within the scope of possibility. What size 46, US or EU? I could possibly be able to use it if it is a 46L US size.

If you have not bought it yet, then I personally would not bother sinking a 20 bill on it. It you have got it and want to flip or tade, pm me, and I can think about what can be done.

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pinstripes usually don't sell well as odd jacket's. The fact that it is gray hurts you as well. I have seen the upper echelon brands go for small money though (think RLPL pinstripe for $50)

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't measure it or anything, but it's tagged 46/56, which I took to mean a 46 US. (It definitely looked like a ~46. I'd grab it for you at cost, if you like, but really, without the pants, I don't see much use for it.

:cloud:

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't measure it or anything, but it's tagged 46/56, which I took to mean a 46 US. (It definitely looked like a ~46. I'd grab it for you at cost, if you like, but really, without the pants, I don't see much use for it.
:cloud:

Oh, leave it on the rack in that case my friend ;)

I was thinking if you bought it and are now thinking $20 down the drain, I might have figured out a way to use it.

Do you check womans pants? Numerous times I have found suit pants were transferred there accidently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads