• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistermidwester

Reaction score
It's pretty much been bustsville in terms of clothing here lately, but I did find a rad couch about a week ago.

Mid-century style (7 feet long!) in naugahyde and chrome. Made by Patrician (who apparently make high-end stuff for government and healthcare industries). $100 and kind of a pain to get home, but considering we had been looking for a new couch... suh-sweet!

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Found a Canali for Rubenstein suit in what i think is a size 42... Cloth's from loro piana but the cloth connecting the arms and the body at the underarms is a lil ripped :(... fairly good condition besides that
Honestly, I bought it for the cloth from loro piana ... doesn't even fit

This is a mistake... chalk it up to learning. Unless you have some particular use for the cloth or buttons or something, or if it's a really amazing brand that will sell even with damage, or if you want to get it repaired to wear for yourself... leave it. Also try to have a realistic idea of what alterations cost, which can vary by market.

Anyway... found nothing today. Saw an "Alpacuna" label on a camel-colored overcoat... got excited thinking it was a vicuna blend, but the internal label had an asterisk and said "no vicuna content" of course. :brick:

Saturday, out of one store...
- Saks Fifth Avenue 100% Cashmere made in USA coat
- Vineyard Vines polo, XL for ebay in the spring I think
- Zegna Sport technical piece - very interesting, it's a slightly-large-fitting- L.
- Zegna wool sweater made in Italy, L
- Polo RL sweater, cotton - this one is a S but it's actually pretty nifty. No idea if it'll actually sell but I like my odds. Nat, bidder names already blocked. ;)

Aaaaaand this - the first thing I've picked up from Savile Row, a three-piece Henry Poole suit. Just a hair too small for me, I think... but it's such a grail for me... decisions, decisions.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is the coolest thing I've see on here in awhile. That's just awesome. All the furniture I find at thrifts is beat to ****...that thing looks pristine. GREAT find!!

It's pretty much been bustsville in terms of clothing here lately, but I did find a rad couch about a week ago.

Mid-century style (7 feet long!) in naugahyde and chrome. Made by Patrician (who apparently make high-end stuff for government and healthcare industries). $100 and kind of a pain to get home, but considering we had been looking for a new couch... suh-sweet!

woolnotmutton

Reaction score

cool looking couch :)

swiego

Reaction score
Anyone know about this tie? Purchased at a thrift for some $20. Brand is "Micky" - made in Italy, 60% cashmere 40% silk. (Picture taken with flash and over-exposed a bit; the tie is a bit darker.)

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I think you mean "Nicky". ;)

Really nice ties and prices aren't cheap either. $20 is high for a thrift store tie, but for a cashmere/silk blend Nicky tie in a nice pattern, it's a decent deal.

Wow...love it! SCORE! :worship:

Aaaaaand this - the first thing I've picked up from Savile Row, a three-piece Henry Poole suit. Just a hair too small for me, I think... but it's such a grail for me... decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

Qtheinqusitor

Reaction score
first ever post here. had to get an account to ask, how (sorry if i'm in violation of some unwritten rule but this seems extremly unbelievable)???

Qtheinqusitor

Reaction score
sorry this is what i meant to do

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this pants label is a Zegna label? I found a Zegna Su Misura formal jacket in an op shop a while ago. These formal pants were in the pants section, so I'm not sure if they are a match or not.

TIA

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think so...the trousers label is usually the same as the one in the jacket.

Last edited:

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I would pay $20 for a Nicky I wanted for myself, but there's no room for selling there. Nicky used to be something of a darling on SF, but other brands have supplanted them. Manton was an early promoter. They are great ties, and I have several of them. They retail for $150-$175 or so.

A Savile Row suit is a thrifting grail to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads