The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Could you post pics including one of the tag?

2. MattR

MattR Senior member

I've been skeptical of the britches stuff. I see a ton of it around here, but the quality seems so-so. Lots of it is made in Canada, and I've even seen some overseas stuff. Which isn't to say some of it isn't nice, just that I usually won't grab it.

3. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

I used to work for the Britches, like 20 years ago. Their suits are workhorses for me, nothing more. If I'm on travel or the weather is bad, I'll throw them on to protect my other stuff. It ain't Brioni but it ain't bad! :slayer:

4. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

Here you go. Crappy pics I know. Probably a 40R or a 42R. I can wear both depending on cut and it fits me pretty well. Pattern is herringbone, and the color is like a brown and black alternating stripe. You can only see the stripe up close, it mostly looks brown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  5. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

Found my first Oxxford today. A beautiful 42R charcoal pinstripe suit. Took it home and found out the pants had gone through the laundry and have been shrunk down from a 36 to a wonky 32. Heartbreaking. I'll post pictures later.

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Poor day thrifting, I will have to broaden my horizons. I have either picked off all the good stuff prior or am too lazy to go beyond casual checks.
    --------------------------------------------
    What I did find today thrifting:
    *Peach colored self stripe Armani Collezioni shirt with MOP buttons, NWOT condition, Size 41/16
    *Dolce and Gabbana Black Jeans, Size 58. I might keep these myself and get them tailored down.
    --------------------------------------------
    What I skipped on:
    *Burberry London Sport Coat (it was too funny a size, like a 42 but super short with very small arms)
    *Armani Black Label Sport Coat (it was size 52L, but very ugly looking color and pattern, nobody in their right mind would want to wear it)
    *Helmut Lang Sport Coat / Suit Jacket (it had size tag ripped off but approx size 40L, and was oddly shaped, as if laundered :( )
    *Jil Sander Suit Jacket (size 50L/40L, but had a wierd shape - probably laundered :( )
    *Zanella Gray Shirt (size L, but thrift store wanted $22 for it - they can kiss my ass for that price)
    *Zegna Patterned Shirts (three of them, size 40/15.5, but they were super old, maybe early 1990's)
    *Lacoste casual blazer (Blue, size L, but looked dumb with a crocodile and the color had faded much)
    *Paul Stuart NWT blue faded check shirt (size 15.5, but thrift store wanted $15 for it, again, they can kiss my butt)
    *Paul Stuart Sweater Vest (size M, beautiful with a little man engraved on the front. But was unsure if I would be able to flip it)
    *Lacoste grey Sweater (size 6, it had obviously shrunk and prior owned obviously pulled fabric out of shape)
    ------------------------------------------------
    What I got on Consignment:
    *Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue jeans, SZ 56, NWT
    *Versace Collection Beige Jeans, SZ 54, NWT.
    *Versace Mainline Blue/Dark Wash Jeans Gold Stitching, SZ 55, NWT
    *True Religion Light Blue Jeans, W38

Sheesh that Consignment lady drove a hard bargain and initially would not budge on prices. I managed to get her down, I think the prices I paid were 1/6 full retail, not bad at all :)

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

But they don't make odd numbered sizes...

8. Katamar13

Katamar13 Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Found these today they didn't fit me though but I'm absolutely in love with them. I'll proxy if anyone wants. They're a size 8 1/2 U.S. 8 UK. and the shop wants $35 for them.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Oh shit ................. label says 55/39, I thought it was a wierd size, but the logo on back tag seemed authentic. It just reads Versace, nothing else. Is it normal that Versace jeans have a gold plate at back as well? Im now thinking 90/10 chance it is a counterfeit :confused:

When I get time, I will take pics and pm you if that is ok. If it is counterfeit, I will return them. Seems like a lot of counterfeits are attracting me at the moment - maybe I will not buy brand names anymore :(

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Post them here for all to learn from if they are - but yeah, post em.

11. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Wow, is Britches quality stuff? I see it all the time and pass it by because I don't know much about the quality. Are you talking aboutt heir homegrown/in-house stuff with their characteristic black tag with gold lettering?

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I have yet to find a Britches coat that did not have a fused lining. I try to hold out for canvassing, whether full or half.

13. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Here are the PICS. I show Versace and Dolce and Gabbana jeans. Are both fakes? Please help Styleforum! I am wondering if consignment store sold me fakes, given odd sizing of Versace Jeans.

Versace:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dolce and Gabbana:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. AndroFan