The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Whoa; I think I thrifted the exact same style of tie about a month ago.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

2. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

@Caseyfud: I adore your avatar. ;)

...And I asked about the Land's End tie. I thought Land's End was cheap, but I suppose I'm missing something (as is often the case).

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I found this Daks Signature SC yesterday. I'm thinking of keeping it as a beater, mostly unbuttoned unless I can shake these last 10 lbs. It's marked as a 48 Euro so I guess that makes it a 38. There's some wear but overall, it's in very good shape. I couldn't find much about Daks though. Anyone?

Keep, flip or give it back to the GW?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damned Mabitex pants don't match ANYTHING!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Change the buttons or go with the shabby chic? Also note the blown out end of the cuff. Should I get the sleeves shortened just a bit (already just about right) or let it match the worn button look?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Found a Willis & Geiger Excursion Jacket and Vest last week at the GW. 100% Cotton Bush Poplin
    Plus a nice pair of Vintage Florsheim Imperial Shell Cordovan Oxfords Size 10 C

www.somethingeverythingandmore.com

W&G Jacket just sold for $180

Cordovan Oxfords and Many more vtg shoes still available.

5. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Re: Daks:

It's a quality English brand, especially known for trousers.

The coat has a nice plaid. It's from the 80s.

The cuff tip is worn, but it's an old coat so let it be an old coat, with the worn leather buttons and all.

You should either let it out a bit or take yourself in a bit.

the shoulder line is doing odd lumpy things. Either it is unpressed or the strong shoulder padding has moved about or the fit is poor, but by one means or another this must be straightened out.

6. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Quote:
    And raincoats. It was the house brand of the high-end department store, Simpsons of The Strand in London - the founder of DAKS was a tailor called Simeon Simpson - but also supplied suits for MTM work to instore tailors at other high-end department stores around the UK, and they hold a number of royal warrants.

They still exist, although I think they are owned by a Japanese parent company these days, and have a flagship store in the Bond Street area of London, and a website: http://shoponline.daks.com/

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Oh, this reminds me -- are you familiar with the brand Linea? Apparently, it's some type of British house brand; probably not too fancy, but I found this amazing waxed cotton shirt (this thread described it as a cool navy trash bag :D ) and have been looking for more ever since. Unfortunately, my Google-Fu is weak in this regard.

8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Quote:
    Not at all, I'm afraid - I have a somewhat better knowledge, still limited compared to many here, of historical brands and styles than contemporary ones.

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Thanks guys - I'm thrilled about the Barbour coat. It actually has me wanting a bit of colder weather to arrive so I can break it out, and that's saying something. Especially after the dreadfully long winter we had last year (the snow-pile in the JC Pennys parking lot didn't melt completely until a 100 degree day in late June, if I remember right!

Of course! Hell, I have a handful of shirts from the 1950s in my closet! My all time favorite leather jacket was made my a company called Zig-Zag out of San Francisco and was purchased in the Fall of 1968. Still going strong to this day. A lot of stuff that is 30+ years old was made very well. If it's a timeless design or style and you won't look like you're going somewhere for Halloween, wear the hell out of it! :)

10. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Remember, it's not old, it's vintage. :teach:

11. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Nat, not sure what you were trying to say there?

Two stores today. One had two vintage size 44 100% cashmere 3 roll 2 sack sc's... feast your eyes on this! I didn't purchase because a) that's just too wild and b) the blue one had a sleeve stain I didn't really want to work at since I figured they would be difficult sales. If anyone's interested I'd be happy to pick them up cheap but, well, look at the pic: :lol:

[​IMG]

The other store had a grail find for me - not much by you guys' standards maybe, but this is the first Drakes item I've seen in the wild. From online label study, I think this one is fairly recent and it's 3.5" wide so I'm planning to keep it. I sell the things I do so that I can afford to keep things like this. :D

[​IMG]

12. MattR

MattR Senior member

Nice drake's find, WGP. Is it dark blue?

13. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Wow, that photo's worse than I thought - it's dark purple with mid-green circles. The lining is dark blue, I think.

14. MattR

MattR Senior member

Ha, it actually might be just fine. I'm color blind, especially for blue and purple, so that makes a lot of sense to me, actually. Still, it's a great find. Looks like it's in excellent condition. :slayer:

15. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Caveat - this was from a consignment store, but the pricing was very good. I also have a Purdey fur lining (purchased previously) that I think I might be able to make work with this.

The attention to detail is something else, especially the number of pockets this has - everything from a concealed one for a firearms license, right the way through to a huge double-sided poachers pocket on the back. Every pocket has a different type of zipper too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.