The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Were you so disappointed that you stopp...I mean, did you take your hand out of your pa... no wait...umm...my bad? :lol:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

2. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

classic post

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Thanks Tony. I was about to hunt Man of Lint down for some advice. I wondered about gluing it. Superglue sounds good to me.

4. MattR

MattR Senior member

hmmm...this has some implications for some AE's I've seen laying around the local GW lately. interesting. thanks!

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

TheWGP willl appreciate the new model (ie, thick) Oxxford hanger I picked up for $.69 today. It's a shop that rarely sells suit hangers, but there it was--priced and ready to go. I was very happy about it as I left. Then I wondered where the suit that came on it is...

I also found a couple of RLPL casual shirts, a Lacoste polo and an LL Bean henley type shirt (the Bean is for me).

Another cool little item was a framed repro print (I assume it's repro) of an old engraving of Napoli. It had the sticker of a Naples art and frame shop on it. A donated old souvenir, I figure. Since it's of Napoli, I thought it might be nice as a closet decoration, plus I like old engravings.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

This is awesome! I love it!

:laugh:

7. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

yes. I'll likely put it on my etsy in hopes someone will buy it to display or something.

8. JMayle

JMayle Well-Known Member

Sold the Trickers velvet slippers I found about a month ago for $315 yesterday, biggest score I've ever had. :D

Ferragamo suede tassle loafers in 10.5D, fantastic shape
    HF sport coat in 44L, tan with gold overcheck
    Oxxford cashmere/wool super 120's SC in wheat/tan

Ferragamo's, i'll have pics of the SC's in the trading thread later.
    [​IMG]

9. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

it's been a while. I moved so i haven't been doing any heavy thrifting in the past month. however i got this zegna cashmire/wool db overcoat $20 I might not have picked it up for a flip but it fits me well. a pair of ferragamo loafers size 11d to add to my other 6 pairs of size 11 shoes that i couldn't pass up. if someone wants to trade me for a 12d i would love it. a few shirts including this bb polo which i really like.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. mainy

mainy Senior member

ok... let me know if anybody would be interested in this but: i have like, 250-300 items i will be trying to get rid of here in the coming months (30-40 pairs of shoes, 30ish suits, 20-30 coats, 45-50 sportcoats, probably 75-100 ties, 30ish pairs of pants), basically a ton of stuff that I have been picking up. i'm pretty good with ebay, so I was thinking if anybody has stuff they would want to trade me, i could post up a big list and we could work some trades out but with the understanding that anything i'm gonna trade for i'm going to ebay. ultimately, this would result in people here getting stuff that fits them, and i do the hard work of selling the stuff they picked up that doesn't fit them.

if anybody would be interested in this post up and let me know and i will start making a list of items, which will take a while in and of itself.

11. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Pretty poor weekend thrifting, and post halloween has revealed slim pickings.

Valentino Suit 56, beautiful fashion suit, in absolutely terrible condition. Huge hole on sleeve, I will try fix, if not, it goes straight to the bin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stone Island Sweater, No tags, Possibly M / L. I love this sweater style, very 1990's. I used to wear this stuff all the time.
    [​IMG]

Faconnable pants, W40 L32. Not a bad score, in near new condition, and quite good quality. Faconnable are under rated, this is no worse than a lot of department store stuff.
    [​IMG]

Barbera pants, SZ 52, W37, L31
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zegna Pants, soft, very poor condition. Bought for mowing yard
    [​IMG]

Ralph Lauren Polo, W40, NWT. A pair of $60 outlet pants for under $6, should not complain. To be honest, I bought for me but hate them once they are on, but hope someone does like them or this style of pleated chinos.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

12. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Nothing for me today, but noticed a lot of empty racks that will hopefully soon be full of treasures. Passed on a Samuelsohn sportcoat that was a little rough and a pair of vintage Randolph Engineering sunglasses (looked pretty small + $14.99 price tag = no sale).

13. 951socal

951socal Senior member

dior homme, CDGH+

and alot of other japanese designers come to have been known for their weird/awkward polyester treatments

dior is not a japanese house, yeah, but they are popular in japan

14. sugarglider unrelism

sugarglider unrelism Member

No pics - but @ 2 wks ago.......

EZ Su Misura Trofeo/Switzerland chalk striped 15 mil 15 blue on blue > worn 3x > $138

Best suit score 2date!

Anyone out there know of a GREAT thrift store NYC/NJ/PA ?

>>> " HAVE CAR, WILL TRAVEL " <<<

MANY THANKS!

Mike

15. sugarglider unrelism

sugarglider unrelism Member

Tell you what I did C 1 day:

I was working for a real estate office when we did an brokers' open house and, lo & behold, there was a 4 REAL Gustav Stickley kitchen table w/sloppy dripping paint cans really screwing it up. Of course my broker refused my request to speak 2 the owner @ it. My guess is the owner probably chopped up the matching chairs that were taking up 2 much room and used them for kindling. Makes perfect sense, no?

Ah, those were the daze Hahaha!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.