• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't pull that little tab of leather off. A half drop of Super Glue underneath and a bit of pressure, you'll never know it was there. I've done this twice now.

Thanks Tony. I was about to hunt Man of Lint down for some advice. I wondered about gluing it. Superglue sounds good to me.

MattR

Reaction score

Don't pull that little tab of leather off. A half drop of Super Glue underneath and a bit of pressure, you'll never know it was there. I've done this twice now.

hmmm...this has some implications for some AE's I've seen laying around the local GW lately. interesting. thanks!

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
TheWGP willl appreciate the new model (ie, thick) Oxxford hanger I picked up for $.69 today. It's a shop that rarely sells suit hangers, but there it was--priced and ready to go. I was very happy about it as I left. Then I wondered where the suit that came on it is...

I also found a couple of RLPL casual shirts, a Lacoste polo and an LL Bean henley type shirt (the Bean is for me).

Another cool little item was a framed repro print (I assume it's repro) of an old engraving of Napoli. It had the sticker of a Naples art and frame shop on it. A donated old souvenir, I figure. Since it's of Napoli, I thought it might be nice as a closet decoration, plus I like old engravings.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

found this at the Goodwill earlier, probably one of the better finds I've had in quite some time.
tumblr_lu03puKJQ71r5avir

Probably from the late 50's (my history isn't the best) , when Americans could still travel to Cuba.

This is awesome! I love it!

At first, I thought this was a nipple.

:laugh:

JMayle

Reaction score
Sold the Trickers velvet slippers I found about a month ago for $315 yesterday, biggest score I've ever had. :D

Ferragamo suede tassle loafers in 10.5D, fantastic shape
HF sport coat in 44L, tan with gold overcheck
Oxxford cashmere/wool super 120's SC in wheat/tan

Ferragamo's, i'll have pics of the SC's in the trading thread later.

green_machine

Reaction score
it's been a while. I moved so i haven't been doing any heavy thrifting in the past month. however i got this zegna cashmire/wool db overcoat $20 I might not have picked it up for a flip but it fits me well. a pair of ferragamo loafers size 11d to add to my other 6 pairs of size 11 shoes that i couldn't pass up. if someone wants to trade me for a 12d i would love it. a few shirts including this bb polo which i really like.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok... let me know if anybody would be interested in this but: i have like, 250-300 items i will be trying to get rid of here in the coming months (30-40 pairs of shoes, 30ish suits, 20-30 coats, 45-50 sportcoats, probably 75-100 ties, 30ish pairs of pants), basically a ton of stuff that I have been picking up. i'm pretty good with ebay, so I was thinking if anybody has stuff they would want to trade me, i could post up a big list and we could work some trades out but with the understanding that anything i'm gonna trade for i'm going to ebay. ultimately, this would result in people here getting stuff that fits them, and i do the hard work of selling the stuff they picked up that doesn't fit them.

if anybody would be interested in this post up and let me know and i will start making a list of items, which will take a while in and of itself.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty poor weekend thrifting, and post halloween has revealed slim pickings.

Valentino Suit 56, beautiful fashion suit, in absolutely terrible condition. Huge hole on sleeve, I will try fix, if not, it goes straight to the bin.

Stone Island Sweater, No tags, Possibly M / L. I love this sweater style, very 1990's. I used to wear this stuff all the time.

Faconnable pants, W40 L32. Not a bad score, in near new condition, and quite good quality. Faconnable are under rated, this is no worse than a lot of department store stuff.

Barbera pants, SZ 52, W37, L31

Zegna Pants, soft, very poor condition. Bought for mowing yard

Ralph Lauren Polo, W40, NWT. A pair of $60 outlet pants for under $6, should not complain. To be honest, I bought for me but hate them once they are on, but hope someone does like them or this style of pleated chinos.

Last edited:

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing for me today, but noticed a lot of empty racks that will hopefully soon be full of treasures. Passed on a Samuelsohn sportcoat that was a little rough and a pair of vintage Randolph Engineering sunglasses (looked pretty small + $14.99 price tag = no sale).

951socal

Reaction score

I think a large would be too big -- though I'd love to see pics...
Also, it looks like everyone's gotten too baller up in this thread. My Burberry Kensington jacket and slew of large shirts have failed to generate the necessary amount of excitement. (And by necesssary, I mean: any :lol: )
PS why is that Dior made of polyester? I will never understand this. I've passed on so much cool-looking fashunz stuff in B&S; I mean, if you're going to sell a $2K jacket, at least make it wool, amirite? :-/

fixed.
:foo:

dior homme, CDGH+

and alot of other japanese designers come to have been known for their weird/awkward polyester treatments

dior is not a japanese house, yeah, but they are popular in japan

Reaction score
No pics - but @ 2 wks ago.......

EZ Su Misura Trofeo/Switzerland chalk striped 15 mil 15 blue on blue > worn 3x > $138

Best suit score 2date!

Anyone out there know of a GREAT thrift store NYC/NJ/PA ?

>>> " HAVE CAR, WILL TRAVEL " <<<

MANY THANKS!

Mike

Reaction score
Tell you what I did C 1 day:

I was working for a real estate office when we did an brokers' open house and, lo & behold, there was a 4 REAL Gustav Stickley kitchen table w/sloppy dripping paint cans really screwing it up. Of course my broker refused my request to speak 2 the owner @ it. My guess is the owner probably chopped up the matching chairs that were taking up 2 much room and used them for kindling. Makes perfect sense, no?

Ah, those were the daze Hahaha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads