Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

it is the Multiseason line, which I had never seen before. The material is fantastic, with a great hand. On closer inspection, I found the Oxxford isn't that much older than the Zegna, having been made in 2008.

Also, my streak continued today (I had picked up a pair of NWOB Red Wing 100 limited edition boots last Friday and the suits yesterday) with a Filson Foul Weather Jacket. Great used condition, and included the moleskin liner. Its a large and I already have a Bedale for my own use, but my son will get first shot at it before offering it up on B&S.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I love red wing boots. So comfortable!

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow! You're on one helluva lucky streak! Any chance the Red Wings are a 10.5-11 and you're willing to part ways with them or the Oxxford?

4. jawboneofa

jawboneofa Senior member

At Nordstrom Rack a few years ago, I picked up a beautiful Ike Behar topcoat for $60. Fit me like a glove and retails for something around $600. I don't know which I was more excited about, the price or that I found a perfect mid-thigh coat that needed no tailoring.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

5. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

Thrifting in Northern Virginia has been dismal recently. Best thing I've found in a long while was the Bruno Magli Edgars. I think I'm being punished for the A Man haul from July. :brick:

6. MattR

MattR Senior member

I second this. I'm guessing things will start to pick up around Christmas. People have cleaned their closets for the season, and I don't think they'll take a second look until they start getting new stuff in again. C'est la vie.

7. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

What size are the red wings?

8. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

found this at the Goodwill earlier, probably one of the better finds I've had in quite some time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Probably from the late 50's (my history isn't the best) , when Americans could still travel to Cuba.

9. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

that suitcase has some cool history. looks kind of rough....decoration piece?

10. tonylumpkin

^^^LOVE that suitcase! Make sure you condition the leather. The only trouble with it is you could only put about 3 1/2 pounds of clothes in it before you went over the airlines weight limits.

They're 9 Ds. I have them listed with additional pictures in the Streetwear classifieds forum. If the size works, let me know and I can do better on the price for a fellow thrifter
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/271908/nwob-red-wings-100-limited-edition-mocc-boots-9-d

11. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I came across a PRL orphan charcoal jacket in my size today that was recent enough that the lapel notches were up fairly high on my collar bone. I was considering abandoning the suit rack to go in search of the missing pants but I reasoned that the pants might be hanging inside of the wrong jacket so I pressed on but to no avail.

Instead, I found a significant portion of some dead guy's collection of Brooks Brothers suits in 40R and 41R. I usually look for 38S or 40S so I don't get flak for excess jacket length in WAYWRN but for these, at 15 bux a pop, I said, "Screw it!" I didn't have the good camera and I wanted to drop everything off at Zip's before I get the legs slimmed so you'll have to look at poor camera phone pics taken in the front seat of the car in the dark. Oh, I looked all over the store, even in the women's pant but never found the PRL pants to match the coat. Bummer. Woulda hit for the cycle.

Just to be safe on the colors, I asked a couple of women in the store what they thought the colors were and was satisfied that I could overcome any complexion issues with the right shirt and tie.

This is actually green but not an olive.
    [​IMG]

Mostly grey with a sand brown in the mix.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Speaks for itself.
    [​IMG]

Look for these in upcoming fits after cleaning and alterations. Damn they some baggy pants, yo?

Also found these AE no name Factory Rejects that are made from very soft leather. They feel more like kid gloves than stiff calf leather shoes. After I get them presentable, they will go with the casual stuff. Anyone know how to deal with the torn leather at the toe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

All the good donations are going to Maryland! Time for a road trip. :slayer:

14. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

At first, I thought this was a nipple.

15. tonylumpkin

Don't pull that little tab of leather off. A half drop of Super Glue underneath and a bit of pressure, you'll never know it was there. I've done this twice now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.