The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a few pairs of Oxxford/A&F pants that I bought from the Bay. Like them so much they're the template for when my tailor makes me pants.

2. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

not worth it

3. MattR

MattR Senior member

Overall, probably not worth it. But it could depend on what you want to ultimately do with it. If you were looking to flip, let it go. If you wanted it for yourself, Zegnas are generally good pieces to own, so you might be able to find some matching buttons to complete it. Because who else has to know, right?

4. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

I find that most of the local thrift stores I go to seem to only restock stuff like suits once they sell some off and have room for them so I actually really like the fact that all those kids are clearing out all the crappy suits that I see sitting there every day. After tomorrow they will start bringing all the suits they have sitting in the back.

5. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

So do stores allow you to trade your hangers for their hangers? If so, thats a great idea. I see nice hangers fairly frequently, but the clerk's won't allow me to purchase them.

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Yeah, I wrote a post awhile back that ran down a variety of ways to end up with particular hangers you want. My favorite tactics are these:
    1) ask. OCCASIONALLY the clerk will just let you have it or will ring it up as a cheap miscellaneous item. This only happens 5-10% of the time, usually they say "we're not allowed to, sorry, no way" and act like it's non-negotiable. They get requests like that all the time and the policy is to stonewall on the issue by saying they need the hangers. It can occasionally help if the hanger matches something you're buying, but they usually won't care about that in the slightest.

2) When they say they won't do it, say "well, if you really need the hangers, I'll trade you a couple for that one - I'll be right back!" Don't wait for much of a response, just go out to the car, grab a couple of hangers and come straight back to them. They'll think you're crazy, of course, but that's okay - they'll still do it. ;) The reason this works well is because their argument is that they need hangers - so if you short-circuit that by offering them TWO hangers for their ONE they tend to be a bit disarmed. Don't do this with cheap thin plastic shirt hangers - you can use plastic coat hangers though, even the cheap kind you get at macys or whatever - usually I give them one thin wooden and one thin plastic; for two hangers I usually give them 3 of mine. Keeping an eye out for thrifts that package together a bunch of hangers and sell at one low price can be valuable - I've gotten plenty of generic hangers for 90 cents or $1.91 for three or four hangers at a time, which is great trade bait.

3) If for whatever reason you think they won't listen to logic about the trade, you can just drop the hanger in the bottom of the cart you're taking out with your stuff. Obviously that only works at larger stores that have carts. You then make the swap (just giving them 1 for 1) and return the cart with (the replacement) hanger inside.

I've never been denied using this strategy, though I have had them say "well how about one more hanger?" to my offer, which I happily provided. The key is using their own argument against them, I think. From our perspective, one branded hanger is a whole lot more rare than even five or ten plain hangers, after all. Still not WORTH much in 99.9% of cases, before anyone gets the wrong idea... (thrift-store-employee lurkers, this means you!)

7. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    I can see the price of hangers shooting up and you needing to develop new tactics. [​IMG]

8. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

:nest:

Nah, I think the supply is still too great. They need the hangers to HANG THINGS ON and labels mean little. After all, how are they supposed to know that Calvin Klein hangers are the most valuable?! :happy:

9. tben

tben Senior member

Ran into the same Halloween problem. The thrift stores I usually visit are extremely neat and clean. Today there was stuff thrown everywhere and the clothing was in rubbermaid containers. Went into one store and found nothing but a pair of AG (31X32 fit more like a 31X30) jeans that I pretty much felt obligated to buy. They weren't even my size. Had a small stroke of luck in another store I ventured. All of it was on deep discount. Picked up a pair of cordovan Florsheim wingtips as well as shirts by RLPL(also not my size), Loro Piana, E. Zegna, and BR.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    (Still have no idea why my pictures show up sideways)

I wasn't aware that they let you do that with the hangers. I am trying another thrift tomorrow, maybe I will give it a shot.

10. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

had a decent day today

found a mint dark gray herringbone brooks brothers sport coat that fits perfect
    recent oxxford raw silk/wool s/c 46L
    Peter millar gorgeous plaid sport coat. tagged 48r fits like 46.
    mint austin reed tan mid length pea coat
    barba napoli shirt 15.5 i think
    RRL henley thermal, size l

Stopped off @ nordstrom rack and found a nice red and blue paisley pocket square for 7.97, and a gorgeous robert talbott best of class tie for 20 bucks.

Found a few mint samuelsohn suits, and some nice paul stuart stuff, but they were all a 42s and i dont know if thats a good size to flip.

11. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Found a beautiful charcoal grey, striped Oxxford today. Would have settled for that and called it a good day, but right next to it was a wardrobe staple you seldom find. A two button, navy blue Zegna in mint condition. And well it should be, the tag dates it as being made less than 18 months ago. Anyone looking for a near new, staple $2000+ suit in a 42 L?

12. MattR

MattR Senior member

^ too big for me, but that shit is the holy grail! nice find!

13. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

How much do you want for it? :D

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Awesome score on both the suits, especially the Zegna! :slayer: Was it Su Misura, as that's the only Zenga line I know of that notes the date on the tag.

Yeah, I went today and the suit section of one store was the barest I've ever seen it. Sadly, they hadn't restocked yet. Today was a bit of a bust. Snagged a pair of charcoal gray flat front Zanellas in a size 36 (up for grabs) and a recent Isaia Napoli yellow-ish green gingham check dress shirt. The shirt had some fraying on the cuffs and some collar wear, but wasn't too bad. I grabbed it as I love the pattern and it'll be nice to have a nice dress shirt I can wear casually and not worry about getting dirty, etc.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

15. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

yea Nat,
    it was slim pickings in the s/c suit area. on the flip side i was glad to see the stafford suits ive been staring at for months disappear. Should be good hunting the next few days/weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.