The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

I was going to go to Filene's today to avoid the Halloween-hit thrifts... and discovered the Columbus Filene's closed down on October 23. No sales, no nothing, just announced the closing like October 19 and that was that. :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu: :fu:

Imagine they sent the inventory to other stores, but it's a real shame because some of the highest-end stuff I've ever seen in the metro area (outside my own closet of course... lol) was in that store.

To console myself I hit up one store and eh. I picked up some hangers to stock in the vehicles (to trade stores for hangers I actually want) and one turned out to be a Setwell 18" - still too small for me so unless someone wants to trade me for it I'll just give it to a thrift as trade bait.

Also found something I never thought I'd see: a watch winder. The guy thought it was just a display case, so I had to persuade him to sell it, but ended up paying 4.94 for it... not bad since even the made-in-china plastic crap versions like this one are 20some bucks on ebay and I've never been able to justify that for the paltry two automatic watches I own (one is in the winder for this shot). Also picked up an HSM suit in 38R for ebay - tell me, is this thing horribly dated or what? It was cheap so I figured it was worth a shot given desirable size and desirable pattern (blue glen plaid).

[​IMG]

2. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

I had some time to kill waiting for my wife this afternoon so I stopped by the local Goodwill. It was packed, of course, and I came up empty. I couldn't shake the feeling that a high school kid was there right before me and picked up some gorgeous Italian suit in my size just to complete his hobo costume.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^^ I hate that. I get that feeling as well around the time of winter formals and such. Some high school kid buys a cashmere Kiton suit for $10 and spills beer over it at the after party or whatever and then tosses it in the trash because it was only a "$10 Goodwill suit".

4. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Just picked up the Brooks Brothers version of those from Steve Smith on the B&S forum. They are GREAT boots!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  5. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden
    I found these today, At first i thought they were regular dress shoes and to my surprise they were for golf and I still bought them , made by a company called Walk-over, went to the site and they only sell shoes now, are they vintage? They are absolutely brand new never worn. How much are they worth retail guys?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ruben

ruben Senior member

^
    Walk-over was (is?) known for their bucks and saddles, they made bucks for companies like Brooks Brothers and LL Bean. I have a pair and they're good quality.

They were't the most expensive shoes out there when new.
    The leather looks kinda plasticy, but unworn pebble grain sometimes does, they remind me of those cheaper "leather upper, man made-sole" LWBs you find in thrift stores.

I'm not sure what they're worth, I don't think the Walk-over name has the cache on the secondary market that Florsehim or Alden or Nettleton have. Though maybe there's a big market for vintage golf shoes out there. Who knows? maybe on ebay Japanese bidders pay hundreds for them.

Do you like them?
    There are people here who've re-shod golf shoes with regular soles, though those look like you could almost just unscrew the spikes.

If you like them and they fit they can certainly be worth the $30 to you.

7. amadar

amadar Senior member

Some recent finds, I apologize for the poor, low-light pics.

Versace V2 Classic Silver Silk Shirt - L

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 RLPL Polos, Size L. The inner tags say these are from the spring 2011 collection. The black and orange are NWOT, the white appears to have been through a couple washes, but great condition nonetheless.

[​IMG]

Dior Homme Blazer, Euro size 48. First Ever Dior Homme find, this thing is kinda nuts. Has extra material to the inner ends of the sleeves, with a two-tone collar/lapel. Crazy slim, I'm normally a 40, and tried to put this on just for kicks and couldn't even get my arms into the sleeves. Was surprised to see this is made of 100% polyester though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fioravanti Bespoke SC. Its always interesting finding bespoke clothing donated by billionaires.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

You know, this was my initial reaction when I actually *saw* those very HS/college kids shopping for "beat up shit" the first time I hit up my usual spots (which are typically very good, but have been utter shit this week) this past week, but you know what, c'est la vie...at least this isn't a daily occurrence for us, and even if the odd clueless kid ends up with the soon-to-be-ruined Kiton, so it goes. There is little worth getting worked up over in this world, and this is certainly not one of those things.

/Zen

9. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Absolutely fascinating, re: the "billionare" tag. Where are you in the country that this happens? I agree it's completely interesting how that comes about. If you could give any details on how you came upon this, I'd be interested, if for nothing else, if for demographic reasons.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That Dior Homme jacket is going to rake it in on eBay. Congrats.

11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

The Steve Wynn name would imply a certain city in Nevada.

12. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden

The shoes are definately "all leather" including the soles, I have thought about taking out the metal spikes and replacing them with the plastic ones since my father inlaws club does not allow the metal ones anymore because of the damage they cause inside and around the clubhouse. I love the shoes on the companies current website "beautiful they are" Im just amazed at how mint the shoes are. I could really see having them resoled for daily use in a heart beat, they are not by far the cheap man made-sole LWBs you find in thrift stores

13. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

Great finds man, love the RLPLs, only Fioravanti I ever find are Fioravanti soft :(

14. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

I can't believe the Cbus Filenes closed. I go there occasionally as well, and it always seems to be very busy when I go. But its hard to tell about the age of the HSM suit without a picture of the label/tags. Their recent stuff are a pretty good buy. And those hangers look a like like ones I bought from walmart not too long ago. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for them

15. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

It was strange going in Goodwill yesterday; It looks like my peers at Mizzou entirely cleared the store of sport coats and suits for Halloween. There was literally not a single one left for sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.