The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Was out for a haircut today, and thought I'd stop by Value Village on the way home.
    Saw the parking lot.
    Changed my mind.

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Yep, the craziness of last-minute costume shopping.

I was gonna head out this morning but the wife reminded me of Halloween on Monday and all the parties this weekend. Should have known too, as apparently we have one we're going to tonight. Saved myself the fuel and effort.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  3. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

C&J suede chukkas. These look like they've been worn once. Sadly a shade too small for me (make that worn twice!) so off to eBay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

A shade too small. I'm hoping you wear an 11.5D and these are an 11D. Any chance I'm right?!

5. mco543

mco543 Senior member

Had a great haul of vinyl records today at a Goodwill but nothing in the way of clothing. Everything I found was either too big or too small with none of it being worth the effort to flip. Did see a brown cashmere sweater but there was no label and I wasn't entirely sure I'd ever wear it.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Deets on the vinyl?

7. mco543

mco543 Senior member

The vinyl on all of them is pretty good, some of the covers are showing their age but they're all pretty nice and mostly complete as far as the extras go. It's really rare I actually find anyone I've heard of and usually I have to dig through dusty and dirty copies of Roger Williams albums and the My Fair Lady soundtrack.

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
    Eric Clapton - Slow Hand
    YES - 90215
    Queen - A Night At The Opera
    Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
    Bob Seger - Live Bullet
    Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
    Wings - Venus and Mars
    Wings - Back To The Egg
    Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells A Story
    Chicago - V
    Journey - Evolution
    Journey - Infinity
    Journey - Escape
    Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (great album presentation with the newspaper thing too)
    Joan Jett - I Love Rock n Roll
    Billy Joel - The Stranger
    Elton John - Don't Shoot Me
    Blondie - Parallel Lines
    Neil Young - Harvest
    Santana - Abraxas
    James Taylor - & The Original Flying Machine

Plus a couple other classical albums not worth mentioning

total price out the door with all of them was around $18.00

A few weeks ago the same Goodwill yielded
    Chicago - I
    Chicago - II
    Beatles - The Beatles Again
    Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

8. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

found a charvet and buberry london shirts today.

pics to come

[​IMG]

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Back from a shitty day thrifting, nothing at 6 thrift shops, all cleaned out.

Only positive thing to say I did find a little restaurant that seved delicious falafels and gave generous lashings of tahini and chili sauce. That was a very tasty and filling lunch costing only $6 with a can of soda. My mouth is still burning joyously :)

Im going for a curry tonight, I do wonder what my bowels are going to tell me tommorrow morning :lol:

Did find:
    A Luciano Barbera suit jacket / sc that may have been bespoke - no size tags. I will have to figure out a size roughly. Quite old judging by tags, possibly early - mid 2000's.
    Zegna casual shirt size L, nothing special bought it out of frustration at no other finds.
    Stone Island 1/4 zip sweater, unknown size. I will try figure out its size by comparing with what I own - seems to be medium / large.

Passed up on promising pairs of pants by Brioni, Zanella and Barbera - but condition was terrible and length of pants indicated they were once owned by a somewhat short and lumpen gentleman. Also passed up on a Burberry London Sport Coat in 42S - it was a very boring piece in poor condition.

My wife found a loius vuitton handbag, but was very upset when I told her it was a fake :(

Pics to follow later today.

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Nice! These are two of my all-time favorite albums! Jethro Tull is actually my favorite band. The fold-out newspaper indicates that this is an earlier pressing. The later pressings on Chrysalis (blue/white label) omitted this cool detail.

11. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Jethro Tull Heavy Horses and Aqualung were their classic LP's. I also liked Minstril in the Gallery, Broadsword and the Beast, and Stormwatch. I have not listened to them for years though, but thanks for reminding me of this creative and brilliant band.

Skyclad my absolute fave band at the moment in this genre of music - they incorporate more punk / heavy metal elements in their music.

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

They are a band where I like almost all their albums and on their albums I like most, if not all the songs. I stopped keeping up with them after "A" in 1980, but really dig their early blues-rock stuff from the late 60's (This was & Benefit) through their prog stuff (Aqualung, A Passion Play...etc) into their folksy stuff (Songs from the wood & Heavy Horses). Actually I don't think I've ever heard any of their 80's stuff - may need to give those a listen.

Never heard of Skyclad, I'll have to check them out too.

13. rose04

rose04 Well-Known Member

Not to rub it in, but apparently the partying that ensued in St. Louis last night produced empty estate sales this morning. I managed to snag four Hermes ties (two pattern, a blue bull market, and a beaver motif), an older Ermenegildo Zegna tie, a Paul Stuart fish pattern tie, a cool Stetson 4x beaver felt cowboy hat, and (inspired by Mr. Midwester) an Andover Shop ascot (although it remains to be seen if I can pull it off). Normally, most nice stuff would’ve been long gone by the time I got there. I’ll have to post pictures at some point.

14. ruben

ruben Senior member

The Hermes beaver motif tie sounds cool, for sale?

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Size?

As in the wall street editions? Those are VERY rare and go for megabucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.