The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tben

tben Senior member

Hi guys. Posted here once before. I actually joined SF just to post on this thread. All of you have had some really great finds! I decided I wanted to post some of my most recent acquisitions. I payed a little more than usual for all of this stuff but I couldn't just leave these items on the rack. Also left behind four of five Made in France Faconnable casual shirts, size large, as they were much more than what I am used to paying.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Sorry I don't really know what I am doing yet. I also have no idea why these pictures showed up side ways. One Sport Coat, one zip up sweater (Canali Sportswear), two dress shirts (Canali).

2. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

bought a alan flusser linen blazer b/c it was brand new with tags and it fits me perfectly. It was made in China though but for $8 I figure I could wear it a while.

I saw a Dunhill (classic) leather jacket, I figure it would have been a good buy, but when I looked at the tag it said made in china with nappa pig leather. Is this the dunhill that everyone thinks of or some knockoff?

3. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

Loro Piana Storm System overcoat in blue for Neiman Marcus...beautiful but a size 48R (US). Also a Canali raincoat in size euro 56. Both in beautiful condition. 2 vintage Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece gray plaid (one tone on tone plaid, one louder plaid) size 38. A Brooks Brothers cotton/poplin tan suit size 38R One Brooks Brothers Made in Italy brown herringbone sport coat size 43R, it's really beautiful. PIcs below and offers welcome

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

^^ nice find on the longcoats / raincoats. And they are my size also. Shame I have no real need for them in California, otherwise would have offered for them. Good luck flipping them, I would imagine both pieces would be worth 5 $20 bills or more.

5. woolnotmutton

great finds.. especially the overcoats..

6. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Bet they would now.

7. MattR

MattR Senior member

Holy haul, batman. :slayer:

what are the measurements on the golden fleece, especially chest/waist/length. thanks!

by the by, had an awful night at the local GWs. Best find - T&A diamond pattern tie. Turn it around to glance the front and...stains. Big stains. :fu:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  8. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

I especially like that LPSS coat - very nice! I have a couple of jackets with LPSS and it's proven very useful in both wool and cotton.

9. woolnotmutton

canali shirts are definetly good finds, I would watch out for Cloth by so and so, those are actually quite common. Unless its just a piece that fits you really well.

10. tben

tben Senior member

It actually does fit rather well and I really like the pattern, so I believe it is a good edition to my closet. It also feels amazing. Thanks for the help!

11. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Inspired by my lucking into my first ever pair of shell cordovans last week in my first thrift visit in months...I played hooky from work today and cruised down to Connecticut to my favorite haunts on the hunt for more shell. None of that to be found in my size. Got a bag full of cashmere sweaters for wife and kids but nothing of note for me (and damn, these were prime spots I've gotten great stuff before). I'm thinking my closet's so full I am getting just too picky for thrift stores and will have to resort to B&S and eBay to satisfy my clothing jones.

...but I did finda couple shirts, a Viyella tie (I love that stuff, for some odd reason I am attracted to the texture, it seems more refined than straight up wool) and the pictured ancient-but-mint pair of medium green Filson wool pants that are heavier gauge fabric than our Oriental rug. I brought them home and will get them hemmed...

[​IMG]

My question is, does anyone wear these things in public?

12. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Not bad today. A really nice Loro Piana dress shirt, and a pair of Paul Smith jeans, both in excellent nick.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

Put a flower over it; make it a depeche mode label.

:satisfied:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.