The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Does V2 ever fall into the category of valuable, vintage Versace?

2. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Dallas? Curious how it ended up in North Bay San Fran!?

Pics of said items. Terrible pics of course, but not much I can do about that until I get a proper camera.

Not taken measurements yet, but a rough guess says Gianluca and Canali fit like true 46L (Im 6ft 4") about 34" top to bottom, Isaia fits more regular, probably 32" - 32.5" top to bottom.

Gianluca
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gianluca Isaia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Canali
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Noted ::fistbump::

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

3. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Nice, I'm a fan of the recent BB stuff and some Zegna stuff as decent closet filler for oneself. Those sport shirts can be nice, but can be very hit or miss in the older stuff - the newer ones tend to be somewhat nicer but also accordingly rarer. If you like Zegna's casual stuff, check out Canali or Brioni - oh, and the Canali Sportswear line, they can often be had cheaply on Ebay and can be good for everyday wear IMO.

Today was just one store for me... but I wish I had gone in the morning instead of the afternoon, as the suits and shirts were 100% picked over... but all the things I found were put out on Tues. or today, based on the color tag, and there were tons of Hamilton shirts, local custom shirt maker shirts, Porsche polos, Ferrari polos... nothing really worth picking up of course. I guess the coats were just the last thing put out. :brick:

Anyway, I think lately has finally opened the thrift heavens in the local area... very streaky but there have been some nice finds lately, even if I still shake my fist at those Kitons and Brionis (and of course nothing awesome is ever my size)!

Willis & Geiger Diaplex jacket, M - the first W&G I've ever seen, though unfortunately it's one of the later China makes:
    [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Made in England peacoat, L, wool & cashmere... and I just now realized taking the pic that unless I miss my guess, it's a women's. :fu: Not sure what to do with it now, anyone have a wife/girlfriend who might be interested?
    [​IMG]

Luciano Barbera light jacket, 100% silk exterior... and 100% silk interior... who DOES that?! Size 50 Italian:
    [​IMG]

Norman Hilton 3/2 in your FACE design... 40R for all the TinyTrads(tm):
    [​IMG]

Finally... let's play Guess the Decade of the Zegna Sweater - my wife says 1990's, I say 1980's. To make matters more confusing, it was made in Italy and has pristine care tags, like it was never washed despite being cotton/rayon. Seriously, settle this debate:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You can make enough for lunch on this, not much more than that. :)

Yeah 90 at best.

Printed silks, absolutely. But don't forget - it was a diffusion line, so it wasn't so great and fashion defining even when it came out!

no way its 80s. Thats ilke, mid-90s.

5. mco543

mco543 Senior member

The only V2 item I've ever picked up was a few years ago around Thanksgiving, it was a purple glenplaid double breasted sports jacket. And when I say purple I don't mean muted dark purple or anything I mean vibrant purple it could be used for a Joker costume. I picked it up for $20.00 and traded it to a friend.

6. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

I have a long way to go in my eye for coats. When I can make enough to buy dinner + drinks I'll be happy.

Thats a nice haul for one store, it typically takes me 3-4 stores before I find anything decent. The Barbera jacket looks sweet though.

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

You got any tempting full-length pics of these? (Also, wth is Diaplex, and why haven't I heard of it?)
    :happy::foo::happy:

8. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Poop.

:mad:

9. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

The LB is claimed and already put away, but here's the Willis & Geiger Diaplex. I read on AAAC that W&G was the only USA maker who did anything with Diaplex, here's some info: http://go.hrw.com/resources/go_sc/sp/HP1PE275.PDF
    It's a pretty nifty technical jacket, all kinds of neat features.

[​IMG]

10. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Yes, it's more recent, perhaps even from the last decade.

Historically, they did only cloth and then tailored clothing. The birth of the boutiques was only in the 80s, and they didn't grow much until the 90s at the earliest. As their website notes,

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Great Norman Hilton!

That's a nice Barbera, too. I'd love to see more pics of it.

12. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

One interesting thing lately:

A Battistoni tie that lists a branch in Caracas. Very narrow (2"), so probably from the 60s.

click for larger

[​IMG]

If you know the history of the branch, post in this thread.

13. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Passed on a beautiful almost entirely hand made (hand stitching everywhere, hand canvassed etc.) Belvest beige cotton jacket in an EU54 today.

14. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Why did you pass?

15. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Okay, okay, here's a full shot of the LB jacket. It's nothing special in terms of appearance, just a black button-up jacket with slash pockets. Oh, and it has leather trim on the inside pockets. ;)
    Still don't understand why silk on inside AND outside is a good idea... would have thought just the opposite.
    Also looked at that Norman Hilton coat for someone and discovered it still has the throat latch attached inside, as well as the buttons for it at the neck. Pretty awesome... but interesting considering the jacket is only partly lined! Also, that fabric was woven in England, apparently... interesting old jacket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.