The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. franz_sanchez

franz_sanchez Well-Known Member

I got a Brooks Brothers crewneck sweater at thrift shop for around $5 or so. It's 92% Merino Wool and 8% cashmere. I was thinking of selling it on ebay and I figured I couldn't get much for it. It seemed like something that could sell for $15-20. I'm very careful though. I want to make sure their aren't any holes or anything. I want make sure what I'm buying is in good condition.

2. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

had to pass on a recent Truzzi shirt and a recent Isaia shirt today. back of the collar was all fucked up along the fold. too much starch i guess :(

Snagged a couple no name ties i liked the pattern on.

Got myself a couple of recent Hickey Freeman Loro Piana super 130s suits also.

3. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:

4. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

The Oxxford is my favourite find. I will take to a tailor to test possibilities of letting out and fitting me, since it must have been tailored down. I could easily see a guy like Spoo wearing that.

Kiton is on a soft reserve, meaning if a tailor cant let it out for me, it goes to a new home.

I dont think I can make either work, hence decided to reserve at least the Kiton for a member here that was kind enough to want it.

I also like the Faconnable one, cant believe this brand make SC's. It is nice, but I already have one like it.

All other garments listed in a prior post are also sale / trade possibles. I will later on consolidate everything in one list, I could not possibly keep it all. In fact I am under strict orders from my wife to rid everything, because my closet has way too many clothes as it is.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Me too... :( I hope some smaller equally as rich dudes donate there too...

6. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Thanks for your kind words Dave, I hunt stuff down regularly thanks to having a wife, father in law on east coast, and yours truly that thrifts regularly at decent places.

PM me your size, including shirts. You seem to be on the slender side of athletic, shooting in the dark I would place your European size at 52.

Sure, I see cool stuff all the time in small sizes. Like you, I have an eye for the unusual or slightly different :slayer: .

For you I would not charge for a single dime of profit or have unreasonable demands for trades ;)

7. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Klobber, may be interested in the kiton and oxxford if they dont end up working for you. Pending measurements of course.

8. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

No interest in the Brioni linens?

:Sigh:

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Not sure if it was overlooked, but unfortunately those "Brionis" are a knock-off label. Same as Borelli and Giorgio Armantini. Sound alike and use a similar label text style, but definitely not the same as the real deal.

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I got a fellow that has first refusal on them. If he for some unknown or strange reason decides to bail out, I will let them go to a different home.

11. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

cool LMK. I just noticed that kiton is from Stanley Korshak which is a mens store here in dallas lol. May be interested in the isaia that needs a reweave, have pics?

digmenow, those blanco Brioni pants arent the same Brioni we all love. Check out ebay.

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Close.... 15.5/34 shirt, sometimes 38R, mostly 40R jacket, 34W pant, 9.5 US shoe.

:cheers:

13. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I am interested in the Canali and the Isaia :D

14. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

I came across another V2 Versace sportcoat today. Its in nice condition, and I know its not made in the US this time. However, the tag was ripped out, so I assume that will prevent me from knowing too much about it. Spoo or someone else, is V2 even worth picking up at $5? I get the impression its not very demanded.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also picked up this awesome Burberry SC. It could almost pass as new. Too bad its too small for me at 38R.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my final finds were a couple BB cotton V-necks and some nice casualish Zegna shirts. I was pumped about the Zegna's, as these are a nice thick, wintery cotton, and were only $1.50 each. I'm starting to build a nice wardrobe for myself [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Judging by the font of that Versace, it's pretty old. Late 80's-early 90's perhaps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.