Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

Hit two stores last night. First store had a NWT Zanella shirt and an Oxxford Sport coat, passed on both for $6.99 and $4.99.

Then went to the second thrift and found 4 Stefano Ricci shirts, 1 Brioni shirt, 1 Robert Graham shirt and a silk shirt by Battaglia Beverly Hills. $57

Today I went to 9 thrift stores and found nothing.

2. yorkshirechap

yorkshirechap Member

Hi, from the Uk,

In Cumbria recently I picked up a 1958 wool overcoat, bespoke and made in London. It needs some lining repair but worth £18 ($15) and a T M Lewin suit virtually unworn for £10 that I'm going to resell as although my size it is strangely constructed.

Also got a DAKS 1970's suit for around £5 for myself.

3. amadar

amadar Senior member

I passed on this exact shirt the other day (not exact, bc mine was in a size 17) because the Made in Turkey tag threw me off - I thought it was fake. Does E Zegna now make shirts in Turkey?

4. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Yeah, Zegna makes some of their shirts in Turkey. I have a bunch of Zegna shirts from Turkey, only "Turkey" is printed on the care tag.

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I went from never having found a Canali, to finding 3 in the last 3 days. I guess when it rains it pours...Canali.

EDIT: Also found a "Faberge" silk tie that I don't know much about, but seems to be well made (embroidery on the back of the lining, "Handmade in USA", etc.), but it's the softest silk tie I've ever felt.

Pants:

[​IMG]

Jacket. 90% wool/10% cashmere blend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

6. mco543

mco543 Senior member

A couple decent finds for me today, not nearly the level of arm fulls of Zegna or Brioni but around here it was good, especially after a 10 month dry spell.

A pair of tortoise shell framed sunglasses by Ziari that are very nice and say they're hand made in Italy. I'd never heard of the brand and a Google search says they aren't made anymore but they're high quality

Double breasted suit that's grey with a subtle blue and red windowpane. The tag says "Hand tailored by Gilcrest"

Charcoal pinstripe 2 button suit with the tag partially cut off. Whats left of the tag is herringbone and says "London". I figured for $2.00 it was worth the chance since it fit perfectly and looked good on me.

A couple vintage vinyl albums for .68 each Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour, Beatles Again, Chicago 1, and Chicago 2 all in excellent condition and complete

I'd love to have some additional info about the "hand tailored by Gilcrest" suit as well as the sunglasses

Left behind a Charles Tyrwhitt shirt that had been dry cleaned into oblivion, a couple old and busted Brooks Brothers Makers suits, white with bright yellow stitching True Religion jeans (w38 l33), and a pair of cordovan shoes made by Tweed. I'm kind of regretting leaving the cordovan shoes behind but at $30.00 I doubt I'd make much of a profit on them.

Pics coming later if there's any interest

7. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

How much for the tie? PM me.

8. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Bought this Brooks Brothers Herringbone tweed jacket on eBay for $25 plus $10 shipping. Its in great condition and off to the tailors on Monday for some minor alterations.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Melbourne (Australia)

10. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

passed on 3 charles tyrwhitt dress shirts because they'd been drycleaned a few times too many... and also a Thomas Pink necktie -- just wasn't crazy about it.

11. amadar

amadar Senior member

A couple decent finds recently. Unfortunately none fit me so feel free to pm me if interested.

Perfect condition Charvet Lilac 70% Cotton 30% Linen french cuff shirt. 16.5/42. Nice slim fit.....fits everywhere except for sleeves (i require a 25" sleeve :() First Charvet I've ever come across, truly beautiful.

[​IMG]

Paul Smith London Made in Italy Suit. 46R. Not perfect condition - A small stain (dry cleanable) on the bottom of the leg, and some of the armhole lining needs to be resewn. Pictures look grey, but its a light blue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Awesome Brooks Brothers Makers Hand Tailored Suit. The size tag is completely blank, custom job? Measures to a 46R. Can anybody date this? I know its not recent, but the styling and material (excellent) appear recent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perfect condition Aquascutum Navy Blazer. 40R.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. amadar

amadar Senior member

A couple decent finds recently. Unfortunately none fit me so feel free to pm me if interested.

Perfect condition Charvet Lilac 70% Cotton 30% Linen french cuff shirt. 16.5/42. Nice slim fit.....fits everywhere except for sleeves (i require a 25" sleeve :() First Charvet I've ever come across, truly beautiful.
    [​IMG]

Paul Smith London Made in Italy Suit. 46R. Not perfect condition - A small stain (dry cleanable) on the bottom of the leg, and some of the armhole lining needs to be resewn. Pictures look grey, but its a light blue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Awesome Brooks Brothers Makers Hand Tailored Suit. The size tag is completely blank, custom job? Measures to a 46R. Can anybody date this? I know its not recent, but the styling and material (excellent) appear recent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perfect condition Aquascutum Navy Blazer. 40R.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Nettleton's from a store I hit on occasion that happens to be the closest to a certain Ivy League school. I had never heard of the brand but with the 40 nails per heel, glove leather interior and the 54-layer leather sole...was pretty sure it was something special so I brought them home.

Then I looked them up here at SF, confirmed their pedigree (Web was out on the BlackBerry, for some odd reason).

Cross posted to the Nettleton's thread (are they shell?) but I thought I'd share here, too. Shined up well, I don't think they were worn much, they are probably 40 years old but are in better shape than much newer pairs I see at thrifts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Picked up a cotton Hermes casual shirt today. Made in France. Had wavy "h" print. Trades it to a friend for 3 super recent Zegna for Neiman Marcus sportcoats he picked up from a thrift earlier this week. One is a NWOT Pure Cashmere, second is a 15 mil 15 and the third is a Cashco. All are side vented and fit perfect aside from the Cashco which will need a small bit of tailoring.

15. mainy

mainy Senior member

these are shell and look to be in veryyyyyy nice condition

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.