The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

Hit two stores last night. First store had a NWT Zanella shirt and an Oxxford Sport coat, passed on both for $6.99 and $4.99.

Then went to the second thrift and found 4 Stefano Ricci shirts, 1 Brioni shirt, 1 Robert Graham shirt and a silk shirt by Battaglia Beverly Hills. $57

Today I went to 9 thrift stores and found nothing.

2. yorkshirechap

yorkshirechap Member

Hi, from the Uk,

In Cumbria recently I picked up a 1958 wool overcoat, bespoke and made in London. It needs some lining repair but worth £18 ($15) and a T M Lewin suit virtually unworn for £10 that I'm going to resell as although my size it is strangely constructed.

Also got a DAKS 1970's suit for around £5 for myself.

3. amadar

amadar Senior member

I passed on this exact shirt the other day (not exact, bc mine was in a size 17) because the Made in Turkey tag threw me off - I thought it was fake. Does E Zegna now make shirts in Turkey?

4. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Yeah, Zegna makes some of their shirts in Turkey. I have a bunch of Zegna shirts from Turkey, only "Turkey" is printed on the care tag.

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I went from never having found a Canali, to finding 3 in the last 3 days. I guess when it rains it pours...Canali.

EDIT: Also found a "Faberge" silk tie that I don't know much about, but seems to be well made (embroidery on the back of the lining, "Handmade in USA", etc.), but it's the softest silk tie I've ever felt.

Pants:

[​IMG]

Jacket. 90% wool/10% cashmere blend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  6. mco543

mco543 Senior member

A couple decent finds for me today, not nearly the level of arm fulls of Zegna or Brioni but around here it was good, especially after a 10 month dry spell.

A pair of tortoise shell framed sunglasses by Ziari that are very nice and say they're hand made in Italy. I'd never heard of the brand and a Google search says they aren't made anymore but they're high quality

Double breasted suit that's grey with a subtle blue and red windowpane. The tag says "Hand tailored by Gilcrest"

Charcoal pinstripe 2 button suit with the tag partially cut off. Whats left of the tag is herringbone and says "London". I figured for $2.00 it was worth the chance since it fit perfectly and looked good on me.

A couple vintage vinyl albums for .68 each Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour, Beatles Again, Chicago 1, and Chicago 2 all in excellent condition and complete

I'd love to have some additional info about the "hand tailored by Gilcrest" suit as well as the sunglasses

Left behind a Charles Tyrwhitt shirt that had been dry cleaned into oblivion, a couple old and busted Brooks Brothers Makers suits, white with bright yellow stitching True Religion jeans (w38 l33), and a pair of cordovan shoes made by Tweed. I'm kind of regretting leaving the cordovan shoes behind but at $30.00 I doubt I'd make much of a profit on them.

Pics coming later if there's any interest

7. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

How much for the tie? PM me.

8. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Bought this Brooks Brothers Herringbone tweed jacket on eBay for $25 plus $10 shipping. Its in great condition and off to the tailors on Monday for some minor alterations.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Melbourne (Australia)

10. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

passed on 3 charles tyrwhitt dress shirts because they'd been drycleaned a few times too many... and also a Thomas Pink necktie -- just wasn't crazy about it.

11. amadar

amadar Senior member

A couple decent finds recently. Unfortunately none fit me so feel free to pm me if interested.

Perfect condition Charvet Lilac 70% Cotton 30% Linen french cuff shirt. 16.5/42. Nice slim fit.....fits everywhere except for sleeves (i require a 25" sleeve :() First Charvet I've ever come across, truly beautiful.

[​IMG]

Paul Smith London Made in Italy Suit. 46R. Not perfect condition - A small stain (dry cleanable) on the bottom of the leg, and some of the armhole lining needs to be resewn. Pictures look grey, but its a light blue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Awesome Brooks Brothers Makers Hand Tailored Suit. The size tag is completely blank, custom job? Measures to a 46R. Can anybody date this? I know its not recent, but the styling and material (excellent) appear recent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perfect condition Aquascutum Navy Blazer. 40R.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. amadar

amadar Senior member

A couple decent finds recently. Unfortunately none fit me so feel free to pm me if interested.

Perfect condition Charvet Lilac 70% Cotton 30% Linen french cuff shirt. 16.5/42. Nice slim fit.....fits everywhere except for sleeves (i require a 25" sleeve :() First Charvet I've ever come across, truly beautiful.
    [​IMG]

Paul Smith London Made in Italy Suit. 46R. Not perfect condition - A small stain (dry cleanable) on the bottom of the leg, and some of the armhole lining needs to be resewn. Pictures look grey, but its a light blue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Awesome Brooks Brothers Makers Hand Tailored Suit. The size tag is completely blank, custom job? Measures to a 46R. Can anybody date this? I know its not recent, but the styling and material (excellent) appear recent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perfect condition Aquascutum Navy Blazer. 40R.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Nettleton's from a store I hit on occasion that happens to be the closest to a certain Ivy League school. I had never heard of the brand but with the 40 nails per heel, glove leather interior and the 54-layer leather sole...was pretty sure it was something special so I brought them home.

Then I looked them up here at SF, confirmed their pedigree (Web was out on the BlackBerry, for some odd reason).

Cross posted to the Nettleton's thread (are they shell?) but I thought I'd share here, too. Shined up well, I don't think they were worn much, they are probably 40 years old but are in better shape than much newer pairs I see at thrifts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Picked up a cotton Hermes casual shirt today. Made in France. Had wavy "h" print. Trades it to a friend for 3 super recent Zegna for Neiman Marcus sportcoats he picked up from a thrift earlier this week. One is a NWOT Pure Cashmere, second is a 15 mil 15 and the third is a Cashco. All are side vented and fit perfect aside from the Cashco which will need a small bit of tailoring.

15. mainy

mainy Senior member

these are shell and look to be in veryyyyyy nice condition

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.