Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matstyleku

matstyleku Senior member

well as long as you're someone that takes anything with value, there could still potentially be stuff in my size? Anyways, any places you think may be good? I'll be in the Georgetown area visiting a friend.

2. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Yes. I have lived too long. :embar: The pills only do so much.
    I really don't get that far south too often and so have only been to the Rockville / Gaithersburg GW's. I no longer enjoy the success of my earlier days thanks to teh manorexia. Although Montgomery County is one of the wealthiest in the nation (leading one to expect, wrongly, that racks of Kiton and Brioni would be bursting out the door) a large influx of alien folk of both the legal and illegal variety makes the pickings in the smaller range of clothing quite slim. I almost copped a Gap pocketed polo shirt in like new condition just because it was a small before realizing that at $5, I could probably do better by actually shopping at The Gap! There were quite a few SC's in there that would have fit me (and, by extension, you) but I no longer try on the stuff that isn't canvassed unless it's unstructured to begin with, like a cotton SC.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Thanks for attending the Thursday Night sf Poetry Slam. Don't forget to try the veal. Thanks guys.

4. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

I have never found anything good at a GW. I don't know how you guys do it.

5. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I have over 15 Goodwills within 25 miles of me. Whenever I'm in the area of one or two, I just drop in to see what's there. Practice makes perfect, however. You learn how to run through the racks and use your sense of touch as an extra set of eyes, so to speak. The other important thing is to be open to almost anything popping up at any time. Take your smart phone with you in case you come across an unfamiliar name.

That reminds me, there were several 16.5 and 17 TM Lewin shirts at Rockville along the upper rack of the back wall. Not my cuppa tea any longer and a bit big to boot.

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Score from ebay, 1940's, from a former tennis pro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. hikari013

hikari013 Senior member

Nice :thumbs-up:

8. alliterativerevival

alliterativerevival Member

I once did this for a Paul Stuart suit--came back a week later, and found the pants--only the fabric at the fly was seriously, and comprehensively, shredded.

What lifestyle options lead to shredding the entire front of one's pants?

9. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

"Speed zippering". If you have to ask, it's not for you - you just won't understand.

10. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

11. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

I haven't done much thrifting lately but I did find this awesome LB French cuff shirt that is perfect condition and fits me like a glove.!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Gorgeous shirt. Nice find.

13. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

^ Thank you

So here are some pics of the GR 816 jacket I bought earlier in the week. DOES anybody know anything about this label?? because I cant seem to find anything about them on the internet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

14. jguyette

jguyette Well-Known Member

From the NYT Archive...
    http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/23/news/patterns-094493.html?pagewanted=3

Now Mr. Rosier, who followed Martin Margiela as Jean-Paul Gaultier's assistant, and Mr. Sabbah will introduce their own label, GR816, on April 7. All 60 men's and women's oufits will be made-to-measure. "With Tati, we made designer fashion more accessible," Mr. Rosier said. "We're trying to make GR816 like a little house of high fashion."

The collection's name is a mix of Mr. Rosier's initials, and some numerology. "Our plan is to make the collection like life.," Mr. Rosier said. "When people walk in the street, there is one short, one tall, one dressed crazy, one classical. Not everyone is Claudia Schiffer or Naomi Campbell. I think that's why people turned away from fashion."

Mr. Sabbat added: "Tati is a Tower of Babel. So we made GR816 respectfully street, and historical, ethnic and tribal, and of our time." He dismisses the trend of destroyed fashion, saying: "It's snobbish to make clothes that have a destroyed look. To take clothes off homeless people and make it fashion is disgusting."

^ Thank you
    So here are some pics of the GR 816 jacket I bought earlier in the week. DOES anybody know anything about this label?? because I cant seem to find anything about them on the internet

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Had a decent haul today. Three Zegna pieces. All 46 R :brick:

- Recent Zegna 15 mil 15 sportcoat. Side vented.
    - Fairly recent (2002-2003) Zegna suit. Side vented.
    - Recent Zegna cotton/klinen sportcoat. Tan. Side vented.
    - Recent Samuelsohn gray flannel trousers.
    - Mint paperback copyof Positively 4th Street. The lives and times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Baez Farina and Richard Farina.

Found out a friend of mine scored 4 super recent Zegna pieces a couple days ago and forgot to tell me about it. My size too. Pure cashmere, Cashco and 15 mil 15 sportcoats. :brick: Gotta try and buy them off him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.