• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

matstyleku

Reaction score

I just cleaned out the Rockville Goodwill. :lol:
Actually, I left an Aquascutum suit that had no visible sizing but fit like a 48 or so. Also an orphan Pal Zileri charcoal chalk stripe jacket/no pants in a similarly too large for me size.
I was really bummed that the GW "No Public Restroom" policy that limits me to one hour or less (the fitting room cuts about 15 minutes) caused me to leave before I had a chance to decide about the distressed leather Le Donne backpack @ $8. Prolly gone by now.

well as long as you're someone that takes anything with value, there could still potentially be stuff in my size? Anyways, any places you think may be good? I'll be in the Georgetown area visiting a friend.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dig do you have a condition that causes you to go to the restroom quite often? I'm not making fun of you or anything, its just what I interpreted from this.
Yes. I have lived too long. :embar: The pills only do so much.
well as long as you're someone that takes anything with value, there could still potentially be stuff in my size? Anyways, any places you think may be good? I'll be in the Georgetown area visiting a friend.
I really don't get that far south too often and so have only been to the Rockville / Gaithersburg GW's. I no longer enjoy the success of my earlier days thanks to teh manorexia. Although Montgomery County is one of the wealthiest in the nation (leading one to expect, wrongly, that racks of Kiton and Brioni would be bursting out the door) a large influx of alien folk of both the legal and illegal variety makes the pickings in the smaller range of clothing quite slim. I almost copped a Gap pocketed polo shirt in like new condition just because it was a small before realizing that at $5, I could probably do better by actually shopping at The Gap! There were quite a few SC's in there that would have fit me (and, by extension, you) but I no longer try on the stuff that isn't canvassed unless it's unstructured to begin with, like a cotton SC.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Round of applause. Encore, encore.
worship2.gif
Yes! Love it! Also, Lands End Canvas stuff is surprisingly nice, especially at thrift prices. I have a few chambray shirts from them. Cool score!
Thanks for attending the Thursday Night sf Poetry Slam. Don't forget to try the veal. Thanks guys.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never found anything good at a GW. I don't know how you guys do it.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have never found anything good at a GW. I don't know how you guys do it.

I have over 15 Goodwills within 25 miles of me. Whenever I'm in the area of one or two, I just drop in to see what's there. Practice makes perfect, however. You learn how to run through the racks and use your sense of touch as an extra set of eyes, so to speak. The other important thing is to be open to almost anything popping up at any time. Take your smart phone with you in case you come across an unfamiliar name.

That reminds me, there were several 16.5 and 17 TM Lewin shirts at Rockville along the upper rack of the back wall. Not my cuppa tea any longer and a bit big to boot.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Score from ebay, 1940's, from a former tennis pro

Reaction score

Ive only had that happen to me once....on an Oxxford suit, came back 3 days later (I bought the jacket the 3 days prior) and viola, there was the missing pants for $1.50.
YOU ARE A LUCKY DUDE!!

I once did this for a Paul Stuart suit--came back a week later, and found the pants--only the fabric at the fly was seriously, and comprehensively, shredded.

What lifestyle options lead to shredding the entire front of one's pants?

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Speed zippering". If you have to ask, it's not for you - you just won't understand.

I once did this for a Paul Stuart suit--came back a week later, and found the pants--only the fabric at the fly was seriously, and comprehensively, shredded.
What lifestyle options lead to shredding the entire front of one's pants?

vinasity

Reaction score
^ Thank you

So here are some pics of the GR 816 jacket I bought earlier in the week. DOES anybody know anything about this label?? because I cant seem to find anything about them on the internet
04dbd2b4.jpg

11937d0c.jpg

2b0cca3b.jpg

c26bdf0e.jpg

f237147b.jpg

7e64c203.jpg

Last edited:

jguyette

Reaction score
From the NYT Archive...
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/23/news/patterns-094493.html?pagewanted=3

Now Mr. Rosier, who followed Martin Margiela as Jean-Paul Gaultier's assistant, and Mr. Sabbah will introduce their own label, GR816, on April 7. All 60 men's and women's oufits will be made-to-measure. "With Tati, we made designer fashion more accessible," Mr. Rosier said. "We're trying to make GR816 like a little house of high fashion."

The collection's name is a mix of Mr. Rosier's initials, and some numerology. "Our plan is to make the collection like life.," Mr. Rosier said. "When people walk in the street, there is one short, one tall, one dressed crazy, one classical. Not everyone is Claudia Schiffer or Naomi Campbell. I think that's why people turned away from fashion."

Mr. Sabbat added: "Tati is a Tower of Babel. So we made GR816 respectfully street, and historical, ethnic and tribal, and of our time." He dismisses the trend of destroyed fashion, saying: "It's snobbish to make clothes that have a destroyed look. To take clothes off homeless people and make it fashion is disgusting."

^ Thank you
So here are some pics of the GR 816 jacket I bought earlier in the week. DOES anybody know anything about this label?? because I cant seem to find anything about them on the internet

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a decent haul today. Three Zegna pieces. All 46 R :brick:

- Recent Zegna 15 mil 15 sportcoat. Side vented.
- Fairly recent (2002-2003) Zegna suit. Side vented.
- Recent Zegna cotton/klinen sportcoat. Tan. Side vented.
- Recent Samuelsohn gray flannel trousers.
- Mint paperback copyof Positively 4th Street. The lives and times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Baez Farina and Richard Farina.

Found out a friend of mine scored 4 super recent Zegna pieces a couple days ago and forgot to tell me about it. My size too. Pure cashmere, Cashco and 15 mil 15 sportcoats. :brick: Gotta try and buy them off him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads