• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess my question would be, why wouldn't you? USPS includes it for free, standard, if you ship via "click 'n ship" (USPS Priority, which for lightweight items like shirts, jackets, and ties is pretty cheap). I guess you could go with cheaper shipping methods, which would save you a buck or two though, but with high ticket items, I'm pretty much guaranteed to do some sort of tracking/signature confirmation.

What would happen if you didn't have tracking?

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but you put an estimated insurance value when you sent the item. That way, if the claim was that such item was never received, the onus would be on USPS/UPS/Fedex to prove receipt or pay the declared value (up to their max, which may be $250 or less, which would admittedly not help you much in this case), which would relieve you of a great deal of the burden...hypothetically, at least. If buyer's claim was that they received the item and it was in subpar condition, well, that doesn't help so much. Honestly though, that's why I try to take pics of almost everything I send out..."just in case". I know they wouldn't be admissible in a court of law, but at least pictures showing the quality of the shirt before it left your hand would put you in a defensible position to make your case to Paypal/the bank companies, et al.

Yeah, if it didn't have tracking they could just claim it never arrived. I sent it with signature confirmation so she had to sign for it. I don't think insurance would have done me a bit of good in this situation either. After all, I guess all I insured was a "t-shirt".

Last edited:

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess my question would be, why wouldn't you? USPS includes it for free, standard, if you ship via "click 'n ship" (USPS Priority, which for lightweight items like shirts, jackets, and ties is pretty cheap). I guess you could go with cheaper shipping methods, which would save you a buck or two though, but with high ticket items, I'm pretty much guaranteed to do some sort of tracking/signature confirmation.
haha, i'm new to selling and i guess to me, it seemed that international shipping + tracking for USPS, it is way more expensive and i thought the price will be way less appealing. In any case, i just sold a gitman shirt without tracking to a dude in australia ( i think he made an account just to buy it) but i think it'll go fine... I'll stick to tracking on my next sale (slightly used hermes pants?). Nataku, i don't have much experience with this, but i hope all goes well! :nodding:

Last edited:

datsunfan

Reaction score
I found a pair of barely-worn black Bruno Magli cap-toe oxfords. Size 10.5M if anyone wants them.

IMG_4761.jpg

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhhhh. International shipping, that's a whole 'nother can of worms. My comments were only geared toward domestic shipping, so sorry for the confusion. I actually only ship CONUS, just to avoid having to deal with the expense/heartache that is extracontinental/international shipping. So kudos to you for that.

haha, i'm new to selling and i guess to me, it seemed that international shipping + tracking for USPS, it is way more expensive and i thought the price will be way less appealing. In any case, i just sold a gitman shirt without tracking to a dude in australia ( i think he made an account just to buy it) but i think it'll go fine... I'll stick to tracking on my next sale (slightly used hermes pants?).
Nataku, i don't have much experience with this, but i hope all goes well!
nod[1].gif

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
I took a run to my favorite goodwill today.. it just a 3 mile run so round trip was 6 mile loop.. Found a Gianni Versace Couture linen/wool/mohair blend jacket. Has a couple of snags on arms but for $8 I had to grab it.. I know this is 100% legit, will put up pics once batteries finish charging :( dual vented 4 buttons, 24% mohair 24% wool 52% linen. Also got a double cuff Lorenzini probably from same guy as my last Lorenzini.

Yes spoo pics are coming don't worry :)

Last edited:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
That whole Polo sweater incident surprises me. I'd be surprised if Paypal doesn't rule in your favor, and if they don't then they have some serious scam control issues. Its not very difficult to pick out a scammer, and based on the background of your interaction its pretty obvious she was setting up a scam from the start. I'd be shocked if you had to issue a refund, and it shouldn't be your liability in the first place.

Anyways, I'd still like some thoughts on my find I posted a few pages back. My post was held for awhile due to my new status, so I'm guessing people may have missed it.

not worth much, I think its a suit seperate, worth to be worn, but not to reweave.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beside some Christian Dior ties and Port of Rotterdam (7-fold) ties, today is the first time I thrifted something worth talking about: a sealed AppleCare Protection Plan worth $250+tax for 10 bucks at the local Goodwill :)

jobro

Reaction score

Beside some Christian Dior ties and Port of Rotterdam (7-fold) ties, today is the first time I thrifted something worth talking about: a sealed AppleCare Protection Plan worth $250+tax for 10 bucks at the local Goodwill :)

What product does the plan cover?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, if it didn't have tracking they could just claim it never arrived. I sent it with signature confirmation so she had to sign for it. I don't think insurance would have done me a bit of good in this situation either. After all, I guess all I insured was a "t-shirt".

whoah that sucks! and to think you had others in line willing to pay......... please keep us posted on the outcome!

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What product does the plan cover?

Macbook/Macbook Air/13" Macbook Pro, just in time as the warranty of my gf's apple is about to expire

MattR

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the BB 1818 Madison I picked up yesterday.

:::EDIT::: I'll just add, this is the charcoal. I've had a question or two about its color. (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...GREY&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=#null)

I'm going to give it a day to see if anyone here is interested, but then I'll throw it up in B&S. The measurements are below the fold.

Measurements:

P2P: 21"
Arms: 23.5"
BOC: approx. 30.75"
S2S: 18.75"
Note: The waist feels a little tighter than a normal 40.

Pants:
1/2waist: 17"
Inseam (measured directly underneath the crotch): approx. 31.5", w/ about 3" to let out.
outseam: 43"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads