The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

That link is something I'd have absolutely zero interest in personally, but I can respect that as a really cool piece. Very interesting.

2. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Lies. I have many friends from Texas, and they all swear to me that they wear cowboy boots, Wranglers, and Stetsons exclusively.

[​IMG]

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Try Red Wings, Levi's, and Resistol, noob.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

4. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

No offense taken here! shoulda tossed in a smiley!

5. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

LOL i was rocking some justin shit kickers, 501's and an iron maiden tshirt today lol
    Levis 501 ownership is a prerequisite for Texas citizenship!

6. ruben

ruben Senior member

I'm not sure how collectable the other polo knit are, but un-logoed polo sweaters are usually very nice.

The christmas sweaters they put out every year are fun, though probably don't go for much on ebay.

I seem to remember a couple interesting, elaborate dog design polo sweaters I was watching go for hundreds on ebay.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the stuffed bears are worth anything, they were usually freebies given away with cologne purchases.

I had one lying around from when I was a kid, and got all excited thinking I might have something valuable on my hands.
    Yet, despite some high fixed price listing prices, it was selling for only a couple bucks.

Coach belts are fairly common at thrifts, especially if you check the ladies racks, I particularly like their surcingle ones.
    Again, not sure they're really worth anything though, tI've bought some for $5-15 on ebay.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

7. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Does anyone have tips on what to look for in sweaters? I find sweater thrifting to be very challenging, especially with all the extremely ugly, old ones that get donated. Are there certain materials or brands that you should automatically buy?

8. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

If you are just buying them for yourself then its really easy. If it looks good, the fabric feels nice, it fits well, then you just found yourself a nice sweater. Eventually you will start to recognize different brand names. In the end, a nice looking well fitting mid range brands sweater is going to be a much better buy than an ugly dated sweater from any high end brand.

9. lonestarteacher

lonestarteacher Senior member

I typically stay away from getting sweaters at thrift and rather buy them at the end of season and then vacuum them 'til next year.

10. lonestarteacher

lonestarteacher Senior member

Hurley is big in Texas for the cowboy crowd right now, along with 20X or Cinch jeans.

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yeah. Mine may have been a flop, but I picked one up from a garage sale. It had a sweater that had a design knitted into it and it had RL '97 knitted into it as well. Got me a whole $9.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

12. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

Found a decent Gitman shirt 16-33 if anyone is interested. Pics to follow if interested.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

In honor of Nataku, I snagged a Corneliani SC, size 39S. At least, I hope it's a SC; If the tag just says 'SH' under the 'Drop' section, does that mean there were no pants to go with it? (The coat is dark-ish gray with a subtle vertical stripe pattern, but has brown buttons, making it stand-alone-y enough to be confusing). Pics possibly to come, for all those on the edges of your seats.
    :foo:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

14. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

It actually is very cool. They made 4-5 bears that matched different outfits in the line. They were identical down to the belts. They cost a pretty penny and really have not gone up in value. My parents would have been better putting the money they paid for collectables into cd's and roll the money over. Then they might have something. But then again that makes too much sense.

15. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Only made one stop and didn't come up with a whole lot but found this new looking Warhol Factory X Levi's shirt, size large:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A little big for me if anyone is interested in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.