• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tom James seem to be a MTM outfit. They send a salesman ('tailor') to your house to measure you. They probably send the measurements to their factory. Perhaps a step up from Indochino?

cool. good to know...

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Tom James and Oxxford are owned by the same company.

its299792458mps

Reaction score
hey, got super lucky (in my own terms; you guys are too pro) this week.

found a paul stuart (made in canada) navy flannel with chalk stripes suit.

Brooks brothers gray 3-button suit with pleated pants. I'm thinking that one's a madison cut. this one is going to be one of my staple suits for interviews and such.

Brooks brothers sport coat

zegna sport shirt with houdstooth pattern.

:)

goneAWOL

Reaction score
Started following this thread earlier this summer. Figured I would start posting some of my finds.

Brooks Brothers Ties

Burberry, XMI, and Vineyard Vines

Armani Collezioni, Giorgio Armani, and Gucci

Gianni Versace, Versace, and Ben Silver (Anyone know anything about these? Are they anything special?)

Brioni Shirts

Thomas Pink, Zegna, Robert Talbott Bespoke, and Burberry

Oxxford Onwentsia (left, size 42S) and Canali (right, size 41) sportcoats

H Freeman & Sons sportcoat (left) and Hickey Freeman Boardroom Blazer (for Dilliards...)

I'll post some more later. How'd I do for a rookie?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recently:
Merc Harrington NWT, size xs

Brioni orphan, double-vented, surgeon's cuffs, size 46

Recent Zegna orphan, double-vented, surgeon's cuffs, size 46

Recent Zegna houndstooth SC , double-vented, size 46

Oxxford alpaca SC, size 42

Oxxford wool SC, size 46

Oxxford wool SC

Kiton cashmere SC, size 46, double-vented, surgeon's cuffs

This is an absolutely insane haul! I've gotta say, judging by all your finds, you live in or at least thrift in a prime area.

Xenos

Reaction score
^ ^ ^ Just lucky, I guess.

But $800 profit on a sweater in a matter of hours?

Nataku, you take the prize.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, I know this is a "style forum", and this may not be entirely on point, but I had to share this thing because it's way too cool not to...plus, I believe one would look quite "stylish" (see what I did there) if they were to rock this bad boy in their home:

This thing is NWT, and it's probably from the '60s....Probably 100% leather, definitely 100% bad ass. And seems to sell for a pretty penny (considering I paid about $5 for it). Screw that though, I'm keeping it...it's just too cool. I've already made a nice home in it for my bottle of Glenfiddich 12 year.

Last edited:

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Started following this thread earlier this summer. Figured I would start posting some of my finds.

Brooks Brothers Ties

Gianni Versace, Versace, and Ben Silver (Anyone know anything about these?
Are you interested in selling any of those ties?

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A really nice vintage find today. This overcoat is 75 to 78 years old. It has the National Recovery Administration tag in it, meaning it was made between 1933 and 1935, when the NRA was found to be unconstitutional. Made by Bond Clothes, it is in MINT condition and the damned thing would probably be bullett proof its so thick and heavy. The construction is amazing, check the finish on the seams. You just don't see that any more.

nra.jpg

Then finished up with a couple nice Lanvin ties.

JHBU2011

Reaction score
A really nice vintage find today. This overcoat is 75 to 78 years old. It has the National Recovery Administration tag in it, meaning it was made between 1933 and 1935, when the NRA was found to be unconstitutional. Made by Bond Clothes, it is in MINT condition and the damned thing would probably be bullett proof its so thick and heavy. The construction is amazing, check the finish on the seams. You just don't see that any more.
nra.jpg

Then finished up with a couple nice Lanvin ties.

That is a nice coat very cool.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up this Polo Ralph Lauren Cotton/Linen/Cashmere blend sweater today in my size at a tiny little thrift store in the middle of nowhere for dirt cheap. It looks identical to this one thats listed on their website.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...&cp=1760781.1760813&view=99&parentPage=family

It seems weird that someone would donate a fairly new sweater to such a ghetto thrift store but hey, their loss is my gain.

And while Im at it, this isnt really a thrift but I did get it for free from my dad who lives in Manitoba and hunts deer every year.

I really need to start using one of my pro cameras to take these photos instead of my iphone. The color balance is always off with these things.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked up this Polo Ralph Lauren Cotton/Linen/Cashmere blend sweater today in my size at a tiny little thrift store in the middle of nowhere for dirt cheap. It looks identical to this one thats listed on their website.
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...&cp=1760781.1760813&view=99&parentPage=family
It seems weird that someone would donate a fairly new sweater to such a ghetto thrift store but hey, their loss is my gain.

i'm not sure what's up with that. i had the same thing happen this spring when i picked up a NWT polo red linen v-neck sweater at a goodwill, for like $5. A couple of months later i was at SFO and they had it on sale for $45. i'm not sure whether there is a perceived flaw in the merchandise, but if there is, I couldn't spot it.

woolnotmutton

Reaction score

Brooks Brothers Ties

Gianni Versace, Versace, and Ben Silver (Anyone know anything about these? Are they anything special?)

Brioni Shirts

Thomas Pink, Zegna, Robert Talbott Bespoke, and Burberry

Oxxford Onwentsia (left, size 42S) and Canali (right, size 41) sportcoats

H Freeman & Sons sportcoat (left) and Hickey Freeman Boardroom Blazer (for Dilliards...)

I'll post some more later. How'd I do for a rookie?
thats some great hauls man.. NWT vinyard Vines ties go pretty well on ebay. Tie alone can probably pay for your entire pile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads