• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattR

Reaction score
Jealousy abounds, as it's been slim pickings lately.

I've picked up a few nice ties here and there. A deep navy blue silk facconable with a small floral pattern and a forest green wool tie by burma for harris & frank. I've never heard of this last one, and I've only seen it sold once on etsy. whatever the case, it is one of my new favorites, since i've never owned anything like it before. Also, a slimmer green dot patterned tie from the briar made for the highlander. also never heard anything about them before, but according to the label it's all done in england, and it's nice enough silk.

My only other pull was to finally find a harris tweed in my size. I've been looking for months to no avail, and found a perfect grey/blue number at a new consignment store while visiting my parents. Paid ebay prices, minus any shipping (no sales tax in PA for clothing!), so I'm a satisfied customer.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I passed up a Blarney wool pullover crew neck sweater the other day in green and an open(ish) weave like this.

Not pics of the actual sweater.

It was heavy and warm but just on the large side, Was I too picky?

Last edited:

SnarlPatrick

Reaction score

I passed up a Blarney wool pullover crew neck sweater the other day in green and an open(ish) weave like this.
Not pics of the actual sweater.

It was heavy and warm but just on the large side, Was I too picky?

I like chunky knits like that, but wearing an oversized sweater makes you look silly. I've made the mistake of trying to will something to fit because I liked it so much. Eventually reality wins out.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like chunky knits like that, but wearing an oversized sweater makes you look silly. I've made the mistake of trying to will something to fit because I liked it so much. Eventually reality wins out.

That's pretty much how I felt as well and why I took a pass.

Completely unrelated, I drive past your avatar (Natty Boh man) on my way to work daily. There's simply no escaping the reach of styleforum.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of interesting things - will add photos if anyone's curious:

- Intriguing (as in not cheap like most of their stuff) T M Lewin English-made red wool tie with hunting dogs printed on it.

- Bespoke Caraceni navy fresco SB suit (sadly not my size), which was amusingly marked down 50% as it hadn't sold!

- Brand new 'The Unbranded Brand' UB201 selvedge denim jeans (which are my size).

- Vintage light grey herringbone Zegna for Harrods trousers.

- Handknitted Irish wool / linen cardigan for my daughter with wooden buttons.

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
A couple of interesting things - will add photos if anyone's curious:
- Intriguing (as in not cheap like most of their stuff) T M Lewin English-made red wool tie with hunting dogs printed on it.
- Bespoke Caraceni navy fresco SB suit (sadly not my size), which was amusingly marked down 50% as it hadn't sold!
- Brand new 'The Unbranded Brand' UB201 selvedge denim jeans (which are my size).
- Vintage light grey herringbone Zegna for Harrods trousers.
- Handknitted Irish wool / linen cardigan for my daughter with wooden buttons.

Caraceni Suit oO..... A. Caraceni or domenico caraceni?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What! I've been waiting for either UO or B&S to restock; per the SW&D threads, I believe they're indistinguishable from Naked & Famous, just minus the name. Can't imagine how you'd find a new pair, given their scarcity/demand.
Yes, they are probably the biggest and certainly one of the oldest Norwegian outdoors products manufacturers. I've was at their factory store just near Bergen a few years back. Their sweaters are fantastic.
http://dale.no/us/about/the-company
:fistbump: Sounds like fun.

Last edited:

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, glad to hear guys have a high opinion of Dale of Norway. I picked one up recently, waiting for weather to really get cooler before throwing it on the 'bay or the thrift exchange, haven't decided which yet. it's definitely up there with the old LL Bean Norwegians. Sad thing is - right next to it on the rack and in a similar size was a similar sweater with NO side seams... meaning it was woven all the way around. Never seen a sweater like that before, but there were no labels/tags at all on it, so I left it since it wasn't my size. :/

Today was... bittersweet for me - I figured out why I've been finding jack at the GW's around here. On the drive home from church, noticed a new one... opened October 1st. :fu::fu::fu::fu::fu:

Went in anyway, figuring maybe a few of the "saved up nice things" got passed over. Found a few things, but man... I saw way too many NM and Saks house-brand things, way too many vintage sweaters, including several Made-in-England Paines in cotton with damages, and store-brand cashmere, and dozens upon dozens upon dozens of BB shirts - explains why they dried up! Even saw a couple of damaged Tyrwhitt & Pink shirts, which are rare around here. Left about four Kuhlman shirts - seems to be no market for Kuhlman, at least what I find, from what I've been able to sell (or not sell, rather).

Can't help but kick myself and wish I'd been there on opening day (and check ebay for local listings :fu:) but I DID come across a few items:
Super-recent Hickey Freeman mainline navy stripe suit, 42S
Bills Khakis M2 flat front 32
Zanella... flat fronts(!) in size 38... but they're the most awesome Zanellas I've ever seen, check it out:
PLUS they're 90% wool 10% cashmere. I'm shocked they weren't Plats, and heartbroken they're so close to my size and yet so far.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the heartbreak. I remember a couple years ago when I missed the grand opening of a new chain location. A local thrifter and SF member told me he scored big and told me there was tons of amazing stuff left. We both hit it about a week or so after it opened. Judging by what we found, I don't even want to know what I missed out on! A good 30% or so of the men's section was the wardrobe of local billionaire, the late Carl Pohlad.

Went back into the archives and found my post from that amazing day. How I wish I'd have another haul like this! Had to edit out photos that had long since been deleted.

So I think I've found the Holy Grail of thrift stores. More like an un-thrift store - it has 80% good stuff and 20% mediocre stuff/junk - with normal thrifts it's visa-versa. I have a thrifting buddy to thank for this, as he PMed me last night telling me about a thrift he discovered yesterday that had some goodies. Well, I got up this morning and headed out expecting a normal thrift with a few good items, which, with my luck were probably gone already. Holy cow was I wrong. The suit/sportcoat rack was 70% recent Samuelsohn suits and sportcoats (44R - all within 4-5 years old). There were Zegnas, Armanis, Oxxfords and more mediocre stuff as well. But NO ugly 70's-80's polyester stuff. Hmmm - the shirt racks were jam packed with recent shirts from Thomas Pink (at least a dozen), Hamilton (all from '06 and '07 - maybe a few newer - at least 15), Zegna, Lorenzini, Robert Talbott.....lots of other high end stuff mixed in. Here's the kicker - all clean (drycleaned) and most were in like new condition. It was high-end tie galore. Recent stuff from Zegna, Talbott (at least a half-dozen Talbott Estate ties), Etro, Hilditch & Key......Well, enough blabbing. Here's my haul from today. Spent about $150 in all (most I've ever dropped at a thrift, but was well worth it!).

Tops/Shirts: RLPL Seafoam colored polo- Malo for Barneys blue polo- Vilebrequin salmon linen shirt- Purple Loro Piana casual shirt- Zegna dress shirt- Fray for NM dress shirt- Cucinelli cashmere 1/4 zip sweater

Shoes and accessories: Santoni loafers. Ties from Vineyard Vines, Charvet, Brioni, Armani mainline, recent Zegna and Talbott Estate

Hangers. .39 each for Zegna and Samuelsohn composite handers and .9 for the wooden purple Kuhlman..

Suits & Jackets: Cashmere Brioni sportcoat. What's up with the 00 for the size. MTM perhaps?
Green Brioni suit (not sure if I'm going to hang onto this one...it's a bit short, despite being marked a Regular)
Polo RL (Corneliani) hacking jacket (this will be for sale here shortly - I have too many similar jackets and the wife is angry with me for dipping into the Holiday trip fund - need to recoup the money lost).

Last edited:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nat...how long ago was that? It seems like your wife is always mad at you for spending too much money thrifting?

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some of my good finds lately:

black florsheim imperial longwings
plain toe walnut pebble grain florsheim imperials
plain toe shell cordovan florsheim imperials
basically new pair of alden captoes
4 or 5 pairs of allen edmonds in various colors/sizes/conditions

red 100% cashmere pal zileri occasion jacket with quilted interior
couple zegna jackets
oxxford hopsack blazer
burrbery's tweed shooting jacket

bb 100% cashmere crewneck sweater

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, found and left a Jil Sander shirt, I've never found a Jil Sander anything before.

Picked up:
-RRL denim jacket (XL, probably list it in B&S soon)
-a bunch of Talbot ties for myself
-a super old woolrich mackinaw plaid jacket
-Brioni sport houndstooth trousers, with, alas not enough room to let out in the leg to fit me (they're about 34x30 at the moment, and I need at least a 34" inseam)

-a 15.5x34 Sulka shirt (first sulka thing I've found)

-a couple ties I decided I don't need:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
some of my good finds lately:

black florsheim imperial longwings
plain toe walnut pebble grain florsheim imperials
plain toe shell cordovan florsheim imperials
basically new pair of alden captoes
4 or 5 pairs of allen edmonds in various colors/sizes/conditions

red 100% cashmere pal zileri occasion jacket with quilted interior
couple zegna jackets
oxxford hopsack blazer
burrbery's tweed shooting jacket

bb 100% cashmere crewneck sweater

Any of those shoes US 7D (or close)??

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

-a 15.5x34 Sulka shirt (first sulka thing I've found)

I've seen a Sulka shirt with that white label but I wasn't sure about it because the ties have the blue label with the gold cursive writing. Anyone know the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads