• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a little something for once today - a pair of Florsheim vintage #8 shell longwings. Good shape with brand-new heels. Size 10.5C. Photos omitted since if you don't know what a Florsheim shell longwing looks like by now, you haven't read any of this thread. :lol:

Sadly that was the only pickup. Ah, well, shell is exceedingly rare around here.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And can anyone identify the maker of these pants? They were too well made to leave behind (found them with the notch method). plus they are solid navy.

Both the jackets are tagged from Saks and seem NWOT and the pants, although wrinkled look unworn as well. Wonder is Saks donated some oddball clothes?

Those are Zegna. Looks like a pair of recent, orphaned trousers. Funny thing is, the giveaway for me was the waistband lining, not the tag. :laugh:

FYI: Recent Zegna stuff is usually marked "Suit" or "Jacket" on the tags, so it's easy to spot an orphan. This one is marked as a suit.

Last edited:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nat...I assume the Dunhill is orphan? What funny on that is the sewn in Saks tag says made in Italy, yet it's actually made in Japan.

Here is the tag on the Armani...it looks recent as well.

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
I finally got back to the city and had a chance to hit my circuit. I'm trying to buy only stuff that's, in my mind, "great"--or as good as you can find in Canada--and not have to deal with another 101-dress-shirts situation. That means buying stuff in my size. Period.

Dack's prairie oxhide oxfords:

Two Al Stohlman hand-tooled belts. Lots of wear, brass buckles, and lots of character (bought at a church rummage sale in the country).

From the left, mainline Pal Zileri cashmere jacket (peak lapels and cool as hell), Norman Hilton tweed circa. '85, mainline Pal Zileri super 150s dual-vented navy orphan, unstructured Samuelsohn SC, unstructured Samuelsohn SC. You can't sell your soul for a Kiton or Brioni or Borrelli anything in Canada, but you can buy Samuelsohns cheaper than jugs of milk. So instead of trying to look cool, I'll just try to look "distinguished."

And a Baldessarini shirt that I'm wearing. Hey, it's clean.

And a narrow miss on a Dior Homme cotton suit. It had a weird discolouration on the thigh--it almost looked like a solvent stain. But it was my size, and, man, I wanted that suit, I'm going to have to go back to take another look.

Very nice Haul, I wouldn't get a suit for $50 just to experiment on the pants with oxyclean/vinegar... if it was $20 or under its a different story.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It was a Dior tag, tacked in the corners. Very similar to what you posted. I know that Dior's faked--and I've made the mistake of buying Monsieur. I've also been taken twice by Armani fakes, but everything on the suit looked legitimate. Just like this:

Very nice Haul, I wouldn't get a suit for $50 just to experiment on the pants with oxyclean/vinegar... if it was $20 or under its a different story.
Go get that suit first thing in the morning.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ +1

Nat...I assume the Dunhill is orphan? What funny on that is the sewn in Saks tag says made in Italy, yet it's actually made in Japan.
Here is the tag on the Armani...it looks recent as well.

Yeah, the Dunhill looks like an orphan. Could very well be orphaned stuff from Saks. Reminds me of a small shop around here that would get "store damaged" stuff from Saks/NM/Bergdorf Goodman and sell them for a flat price of $5 per piece. Loved that place! It was that store that got me into removing stains. On 80% of the stuff, it worked like a charm. They also ended up with a lot of custom made stuff that was never claimed that had no damage at all. Founds lots of amazing Domenico Spano for Bergdorf Goodman and Saks that way. Sadly, I discovered the store towards the end of it's existence. I hit it weekly for about a year and for the last month or so they had Macy's garbage before closing up shop. :(

Last edited:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Go get that suit first thing in the morning.

OK, tony don't listen to me.. Spoo and Nat obviously knows more about this kind of stuff than I do.

My find Cooper defense contract A-2 airforce jacket in mint condition... Researched on ebay and it seems that these things go for around $250 with a good listing. Goatskin leather, but most likely I will keep this.

Found a versace versus leather sport jacket. I know it is a diffusion line, but finding a versace let along leather is pretty rare for me.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Found an awesome and fashunably slim Dale of Norway fair isle sweater today; at first I was just going to pretend it was an Ervell, then I looked it up online and it actually retails for more. :facepalm: Anyone heard of this brand?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah, very good...haha, and I thought it was like a K-mart brand sweater.

Xenos

Reaction score

Those are Zegna. Looks like a pair of recent, orphaned trousers. Funny thing is, the giveaway for me was the waistband lining, not the tag. :laugh:
FYI: Recent Zegna stuff is usually marked "Suit" or "Jacket" on the tags, so it's easy to spot an orphan. This one is marked as a suit.

And that solves today's mystery for me. Thank you.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

<Found a versace versus leather sport jacket.  I know it is a diffusion line, but finding a versace let along leather is pretty rare for me.

Pics?

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found an awesome and fashunably slim Dale of Norway fair isle sweater today; at first I was just going to pretend it was an Ervell, then I looked it up online and it actually retails for more.
facepalm.gif
Anyone heard of this brand?

Yes, they are probably the biggest and certainly one of the oldest Norwegian outdoors products manufacturers. I've was at their factory store just near Bergen a few years back. Their sweaters are fantastic.

http://dale.no/us/about/the-company

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll head back there on Saturday. Fingers crossed they are still there.

They are not cheap - marked at $20 - which is why I didn't get them to flip. Add in shipping to the USA, and you are talking best part of $50+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads