The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

I finally got back to the city and had a chance to hit my circuit. I'm trying to buy only stuff that's, in my mind, "great"--or as good as you can find in Canada--and not have to deal with another 101-dress-shirts situation. That means buying stuff in my size. Period.

Dack's prairie oxhide oxfords:

[​IMG]

Two Al Stohlman hand-tooled belts. Lots of wear, brass buckles, and lots of character (bought at a church rummage sale in the country).

[​IMG]

From the left, mainline Pal Zileri cashmere jacket (peak lapels and cool as hell), Norman Hilton tweed circa. '85, mainline Pal Zileri super 150s dual-vented navy orphan, unstructured Samuelsohn SC, unstructured Samuelsohn SC. You can't sell your soul for a Kiton or Brioni or Borrelli anything in Canada, but you can buy Samuelsohns cheaper than jugs of milk. So instead of trying to look cool, I'll just try to look "distinguished."

[​IMG]

And a Baldessarini shirt that I'm wearing. Hey, it's clean.

And a narrow miss on a Dior Homme cotton suit. It had a weird discolouration on the thigh--it almost looked like a solvent stain. But it was my size, and, man, I wanted that suit, I'm going to have to go back to take another look.

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

If the Dior Homme was what I think it was, you should grab it if the price is right. I've never found anything other than the cheap, licensed garbage. Baldessarini is really well made stuff and is pretty sought after. High quality isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Hugo Boss. Maybe that's why the line didn't do too well.

3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Hey Nataku, I have a question since you seem to know about this stuff. Awhile back in this post (http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/th...ount-store-bragging-thread/17265#post_4790443), I posted this jacket and you immediately told me it was by Corneliani:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How did you know this? Is all "Dior Monsieur" stuff made by Corneliani? I ask because I've come across other stuff from the Monsieur line, and I want to be able to distinguish the better stuff from the "licensed crap."

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yup, I remember that. The fabric content tag is a newer Corenliani tag. Same used for Polo "made in Italy" stuff that is made by them. Not all Monsieur stuff is made by them, I think you may have just gotten lucky. I've seen a lot of junk with the Monsieur name on it too. My best advice is to feel for quality. You'll be able to tell a recent Corneliani made jacket vs a 1980's poly blend jacket made in Korea pretty easily.

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Awesome, thanks a ton...you're a wealth of information!

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I know there are a bunch of guys (me me me) who would love to trade for some EU 46 Zegna pants. I can never find stuff in my size!

7. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

8. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

9. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

I'm going to go back tomorrow. This was the real deal: made-in-Italy Dior Homme; not Monsieur. Definitely not Monsieur. It was $50. So not cheap enough to buy no matter what, but enough to make you think twice about just getting a wearable cotton (obviously orphaned) jacket. The problem is that the stains were on the front of the pants, and they were pretty clear.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Did the label look like this? [​IMG]

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Shoot, I've been skipping over all the Dior Monsier stuff assuming it was crap (I see a TON). Now I need to look if it's made in Italy by Corneliani.

12. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

I had no idea that shirt Gilligan wore was Kiton. And on a first mate's salary!

[​IMG]

13. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Picked up the following today:

Armani Collezioni Sport Coat - Tag looks recent and it fits me. Only complaint is it's unvented:

[​IMG]

The following appear to be orphans, but with 50% off at GW I took a flier on them in case the mates turn up:

Alfred Dunhill Jacket (I've never seen anything AD before):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And can anyone identify the maker of these pants? They were too well made to leave behind (found them with the notch method). plus they are solid navy.

[​IMG]

Both the jackets are tagged from Saks and seem NWOT and the pants, although wrinkled look unworn as well. Wonder is Saks donated some oddball clothes?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

14. marysdad

marysdad Member

Went thrifting on my lunch hour Friday and snagged a couple of things. A pair of Johnston & Murphy Made in USA captoes that had very little wear on them for $14. They cleaned up very nicely (these poor pics don't do them justice). Also, a Battistoni tie for $5.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

It was a Dior tag, tacked in the corners. Very similar to what you posted. I know that Dior's faked--and I've made the mistake of buying Monsieur. I've also been taken twice by Armani fakes, but everything on the suit looked legitimate. Just like this:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.