The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattR

MattR Senior member

I was just happy to have an opportunity to quote High Fidelity

2. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

I also passed on a grey wool suit from Daks today because it was too big on me. It didnt have a size tag but it fit like a 44.

3. amadar

amadar Senior member

Noobizor: That jacket/vest looks like the inner vest of an LP Horsey Jacket (it is meant to zip into the Horsey Jacket itself, but can also be worn separately). I found a Horsey (complete with vest) about 6 months ago that fetched around $600 - $700 on the bay IIRC. Don't know how much the vest by itself would get, but I'm sure it will still bring a good chunk.

Nice score!

4. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

They picked up where your precious Echo left off, and you're sitting around complaining about no more Echo albums. I can't believe you don't own this fucking record.

5. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Well today was a day of misses:

Hickey Freeman wool/cashmere sport coat...hole in the elbow (although it would have been a cool candidate for professor elbow pads).

BB made in Italy Suit jacket....no pants

Southwick suit jacket...ditto

I did pick up a pair of Florsheim long-wings in black with a slight pebble finish. Not the Imperials but ones with the rubber heel that could survive a nuclear blast.

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Haha, thanks...

Do you know what I should look for to rule that out? I found what I think is the same vest on ebay, and it was billed as a standalone item. Hmmm...and the vest has its own tags with composition and everything...but no size tag I can find.

I sort of want to hire someone to add leather sleeves, which could, quite possibly, look "rad". :)

7. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Finally some pictures of the weekend finds

Before mention Nudie Jeans blazer, seems NWOT. Size L but barely fits my fat American medium self. (undecided about keeping yet)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zegna silk/wool (trofeo silk) sportcoat, Euro 58R (up for grabs) (needs to be ironed)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Corneliani Flax/Virgin Wool sportcoat, 54R (up for grabs)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Man this thread moves fast...

It's been a great couple of days for me. More vintage LPs, an ETRO blazer, Allen Edmonds Strattons, a sweet pair of vintage Superex Headphones and the real prize .... a vintage Domenico Caraceni suit tailored in 1960! Tag says D. Caraceni, so this must have been when it was still the original operation. This is the oldest bespoke piece I have now and it's a great fit and in mint condition. I can't believe it's 50 years old. It was finished one month before Kennedy was elected president! No stains, moth holes, etc., not even any crotch or seat wear in the pants. It's as if it was never worn. I took it to the cleaners anyway, so I'll definitely get some photos up once I get it back. It's an interesting cross between Italian and American styling. It's a 3 roll 2 like a traditional Brooks Brothers suit of the time,but it's ventless like Italian styling from that period. I don't mind at all, as the quality of tailoring is superb and it fits with little alteration. I look forward to wearing it this fall.

I passed on a bunch of stuff including a few Hermes ties, a RLPolo gray flannel sportcoat and an Alexander McQueen suit. They were all at the same expensive thrift store. They wanted $50 each for the Hermes ties and $150 for the McQueen suit. They had Charles Trywhitt shirts for $50. I was tempted to go ask the salesperson when they started selling new clothes because that's how they're priced. And then I go score that Caraceni suit for $10 elsewhere. I don't think I'm going to even bother going back there.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

9. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Heck you can get CT Shirts cheaper than that when they have their sales...which is all the time.

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Shaggy Beatles circa 1967 hair-cut, flannel shirt and jeans flipping vigorously through the shirts; it's probably me though that pretty much describes half of the guys in the store.. :laugh:

Score on that Caraceni! Can't wait to see some pics! Any obscure 60's/early 70's LPs?

11. ilikethelights

guilty as charged + glasses

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

13. ilikethelights

Are you me from the future sent back to teach me about thrifting clothes? Cuz that would be weird.

14. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Do you have a jonzing to own a vintage VW Scirocco?

15. ilikethelights

this is the weirdest Terminator movie yet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.