Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chillax

Chillax Well-Known Member

Usually, there's nothing worth buying. I don't buy anything at most stops.You just have to keep going back, as you have discovered

2. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

That cashmere BB overcoat is pretty recent. The last 5 to 10 years would be my guess.

3. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

Thanks Tony. 42L so fits me perfectly and its flawless so I figure it would be a ok pickup.

4. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

On the Brooks Brothers website wool cashmere blend sells for $800. The 100% cashmere ones sell north of a $1K :worship:

5. woolnotmutton

ya my pics doesn't do it any justice. Really nice stuff.

6. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

7. Passat774

Passat774 Well-Known Member

I love this thread and yes, it got me started in Thrifting two weeks ago! I just wish their was an easier way to trade what we find.

I have found two large Zegna Sport Shirts and one small Zegna linen shirt. I rather just work together with the other guys on this forum than to sell for profit here or on Ebay..

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+1. This thread is really the only reason I come to SF.

9. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

Haven't been thrifted in awhile but went out tonight and scored a few things
    including a Burberry rugby shirt for $9. I was pretty happy about it, then got it
    home and saw the Made In China tag, pretty nice fake. =(

10. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Well-Known Member

Passed on a bunch of stuff today. I came close to buying 3 XL Paul and Shark rugby shirts. They are recent, but really not my taste. I know the stuff is fairly expensive at retail. Does it have any resale value? Passed on a French, hand made silk tie without a maker's tag. It was yellow with a repeating gold ring pattern. I would probably not ever wear it, and assume a lack of maker's tag means it has little resale value.

11. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

Oh, and I saw three shirts by a brand I had never heard of with the words "High Quality" on the label.
    I pretty much think that anything that says that, isn't. =)

12. threeleggeddog

threeleggeddog Senior member

Is Burberry not in China? It seems like the majority of their competitors are producing stuff in similar waged countries, so I'm not sure if that's why I would call it a fake.

In fact, I just did a quick google search to confirm this confident hunch: http://reviews.ebay.com/Authentic-Burberry-Guide-and-Where-It-apos-s-Made_W0QQugidZ10000000007977833

I wouldn't think that Burberry would be able to compete on price or volume if they stayed out of low wage manufacturing. In fact, on that thought, I was in Marshall's the other day perusing (I saw a bunch of $8 dollar leather PRL belts, none in my size). But look at all the mountains of excess crap. And discount stores don't even get all of it! I bet around 20% of manufacturer's items get destroyed with no sale, and a huge number get heavily discounted. Guess who's paying for this?: the customer at the cost of quality (or ridiculous starting retail prices). What caused this? Probably some initial corporate pressure to compete on volume. But as volume expands and heavy discounts ensue, revenue will return less and less profit.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with retailer expansion on the internet: more and more "boutique online" manufacturers seem to be competing with popular designer's on retail price and quality - and they're selling in relatively limited quantities. I wonder if this pressure will eventually cause corporations to start cutting some of these china factories (or american factories - if they can find any to close) at the cost of volume. This will likely yield immediate reductions in discounts, but ultimate improvement in quality (if sale environments start to diminish, customers will likely start buying clothes for a little more longevity).

13. woolnotmutton

I don't really like the fabric material on this T&A shirt though. The fabric used on the custom hamilton shirts I picked up put this shirt to shame.

14. marysdad

marysdad Member

Picked up this Hugo Boss summer weight blazer at a local thrift store today for $18. Looks, basically new, like it has hardly been worn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.