• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
I vote to shut this thread down, or only let people in with specific amount of posts or even some type of verification methods. Even at a low post count, I believe I've learned everything I needed from reading these threads. Brand names are good to know, but its often the quality that stands out. I think 300+ posts is a fair required number. I don't think any thrift store manager would go and post 300 times unless they are being paid to do so.

All the famous brands that are popular in hip hop songs are pretty much a lost cause, but I hate seeing shoes being marked up to $39.95 just b/c the manager now know they retailed for $500.

In reality though, I don't think there will be a huge craze over the wool products. They know they can't keep this stuff forever, and without a good cleaning a lot of this stuff would not be very appealing to the general public or will become damaged over time by moth etc.

Thrifts stores shifts about $1 billon worth of business to 3rd world countries such as countries in Africa, but people would rather have a nice t shirt with a famous rapper on it than a nice wool suit. Ok I'm getting off track.

Last edited:

toscano_adottato

Reaction score
I'm one person, mostly a lurker, so I wouldn't be any kind of big loss, but this thread is the only one I check daily. I read what people pick up and then I check their sales on B&S or on Ebay to see if I want to purchase. Having a required post count would kill my interest not only in this thread, but in SF in general because it will take me years to get to 300+ posts. If I can't read this thread, then I have no reason to come to the site, thus killing business for some of the flippers in this very thread.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ill ask you to kindly refrain from clicking my eBay link in my signature. You might OD. :bigstar:

I looked ...come on Spoo baby I need one of those ties...you know I'm good for the money and I'll pay you later...I just need one of those ties!!!!!!!!

Actually there were a couple I liked that if they don't get crazy like a few of them have I might bid on. I now judge all ties by my Tom Ford.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I looked ...come on Spoo baby I need one of those ties...you know I'm good for the money and I'll pay you later...I just need one of those ties!!!!!!!!
Actually there were a couple I liked that if they don't get crazy like a few of them have I might bid on. I now judge all ties by my Tom Ford.

Good luck if you do.. last week I had a few end at only $75... :fu:

mat135ta

Reaction score
Among other things, I recently got a black one button Giorgio Armani Classico black label tuxedo in 42R made by Vestimenta and two plaid Billy Reid sportcoats marked 46R (but fit like honest 44R). If anyone is interested in trading/purchasing, please let me know.

Last edited:

Chillax

Reaction score
It was a long dry summer here in Florida- both in the climatic and thrifting sense. I found so little in early summer I gave up by mid-July and decided to wait until Fall.
After a few false starts early in the month, by mid-September things finally started to break loose.Here's the haul from the last couple of weeks:

The prize winner is something I've always wanted to thrift- a classic military style trench coat. And this one is by Ermenegildo Zegna, no less, with the big lapels, sleeve buckles, collar buckle, even grenade loops. I had to pay $50 at GW, the most I've ever spent on a thrift item, but since I'm sure the retail price is in 4 figures, I didn't mind so much:

A pretty good shirt take too-E. Zegna in blue, rust and geometric, a wool plaid Pendleton, my first ever Canali shirt, my first ever Paul Smith anything, and a George(yeah I know) shirt that I couldn't resist because of the wild psychedelic pattern perfect for clubbing:

Three suits-all in my size, a 1984 Polo University club in charcoal glen plaid, A Brooks Brothers Brooksease(meh) in gray birdseye, and a really cool green orange tweedy one by "Upperclassman Clothes for Arnold"(?). Fully canvassed-I will be wearing this one this season.

Sweaters, including a vintage 100% cashmere made in England by Alan Paine: (others BR and BB):

Some lower end but still quite wearable stuff- J Crew canary chinos, AF Corduroy jacket, Dolce&Gabbana t-shirt (for flipping), red Italian polo style sweater, cotton striped cardigan with no tags at all, cool hat "Made in Florence" by Fillipo Catarzi, and vintage Mavest suede blazer with patch pockets that will see some use this fall.

Finally, a repro vintage beer ad already matted:

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got some decent-looking loafers. I can't seem to identify the brand, but the sole looks to be sewn to the rest of the shoe.

Could these be Allen Edmonds? I saw some AE loafers at another thrift store and they had a similar size/numbering printed inside, like these shoes do.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could these be Allen Edmonds? I saw some AE loafers at another thrift store and they had a similar size/numbering printed inside, like these shoes do.

I can't read the hand writing, where were they made?

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

It was a long dry summer here in Florida- both in the climatic and thrifting sense. I found so little in early summer I gave up by mid-July and decided to wait until Fall.
After a few false starts early in the month, by mid-September things finally started to break loose.Here's the haul from the last couple of weeks:
The prize winner is something I've always wanted to thrift- a classic military style trench coat. And this one is by Ermenegildo Zegna, no less, with the big lapels, sleeve buckles, collar buckle, even grenade loops. I had to pay $50 at GW, the most I've ever spent on a thrift item, but since I'm sure the retail price is in 4 figures, I didn't mind so much:

A pretty good shirt take too-E. Zegna in blue, rust and geometric, a wool plaid Pendleton, my first ever Canali shirt, my first ever Paul Some lower end but still quite wearable stuff- J Crew canary chinos, AF Corduroy jacket, Dolce&Gabbana t-shirt (for flipping), red Italian polo style sweater, cotton striped cardigan with no tags at all, cool hat "Made in Florence" by Fillipo Catarzi, and vintage Mavest suede blazer with patch pockets that will see some use this fall.

Finally, a repro vintage beer ad already matted:

Cool Zenga jacket.

Holy crap -- that D&G T-shirt is disgusting. I would rather buy that thing to burn it so I wouldn't have to see someone wearing it.

Last edited:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Some stuff over the weekend.

Both fit me pretty well, but I don't like taking care of cashmere so I might sell that.

100% cashmere BB overcoat Made in Italy. Can anyone date this based on this tag? $10

Neiman marcus T&A shirt. $2

Other notable finds not pictured. (2x robert talbot identical sky blue shirts, 1x ike behar, recent barney NY tie, Paul Smith London Shirt)

Last edited:

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I stopped by a thrift store that I have only been to once before. The time I went there was nothing worthwhile at all and I was a little hesitant to go back.

Luckily I did go back because I found 14 different ties including a couple Etro's, 3 Brooks Brothers, 2 Thomas Pink, 1 Aquascutum, 3 Harry Rosen, 1 Polo Ralph Lauren. I also found a tweed blazer, a Banana Republic seersucker blazer, and 3 Brooks Brothers button down collar shirts all in my size.

Its not the highest end stuff but its nice enough considering it all cost me $25.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today I stopped by a thrift store that I have only been to once before. The time I went there was nothing worthwhile at all and I was a little hesitant to go back.
Luckily I did go back because I found 14 different ties including a couple Etro's, 3 Brooks Brothers, 2 Thomas Pink, 1 Aquascutum, 3 Harry Rosen, 1 Polo Ralph Lauren. I also found a tweed blazer, a Banana Republic seersucker blazer, and 3 Brooks Brothers button down collar shirts all in my size.
Its not the highest end stuff but its nice enough considering it all cost me $25.

Hell if you plan on keeping the stuff that's a great score. You could sell two of the ties and easily recoup you money.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hell if you plan on keeping the stuff that's a great score. You could sell two of the ties and easily recoup you money.

Ive never actually thought to try to sell any of my ties. I have so many of them that Ive picked up at various thrift stores over the past few years and I dont wear a lot of them. Maybe Ill organize them and figure out what ones I want to get rid of in the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads