Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Spoo comes through :slayer:

Sadly I am becoming addicted to Tom Ford stuff. I bought one tie and wanted more. Now a shirt off B&S. Please folks....buy my stuff of in B&S threads. Brooks Brothers don't cut it....I need more Tom Ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

2. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

That's the hotness right there.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ill ask you to kindly refrain from clicking my eBay link in my signature. You might OD. :bigstar:

4. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Mr. Spoo...always bizness :p

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I was looking out for his well being!

6. Chillax

Chillax Well-Known Member

I want a fake Rolex to attract golddiggers
    I'll probably need a fake $100,000+ car to go with it though

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+1. The ratio of womens to mens clothing that comes in through donations is like 7 to 1, if not a bit more on the womens side.

Wow - sounds like a honey hole! Wish I lived near a place like this. Isaia tux? Please tell me it wasn't a red label in a 42-44 R......

As for me, I was all over today. Hit some stores I've never hit and some that I haven't been to in over a year.

- Polo RL by Corneliani pure cashmere side vented windowpane jacket. 44 R

- Some coffee cups and serving ware (3 serving bowls, 3 serving plates) from NotNeutral. Cups retailed at $18 and plates/bowls retailed at $30 each. Got all for $36. http://www.notneutral.com/index.php/cPath/1_8

- Nicky Milano solid red tie. My first Nicky tie find.

- NWOT Post O'Alls dungarees. Found these at a thrift out near Hicksville, USA. Thought these were an odd find for the location.

- Recent Billy Reid polo shirt. Pity it's a size Small. :brick:

Passed on a bunch of stuff besides the usual (Thomas Pink, Tyrwhytt, non-recent Zegna....) The stuff that stuck out in my mind were a camel D/B MTM overcoat from Chester Barrie and recent Donegal tweed side vented sportcoat from Magee (44 R). May be headed back tomorrow if there is any interest in these.

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

Found this Brooks Brothers repp tie, put it on, wore it out to see Moneyball. Then Jonah Hill showed up wearing the same thing; lulz ensued.

:foo:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

9. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

^^^

He's lost a ton of weight since that movie was filmed.

[​IMG]

10. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

LOL I have that exact tie too... along with probably half the AAAC Trad board. Funny. :)

BTW, any of you small-time sellers who aren't looking to make a mint and hate the necessary evil of Ebay - check out the Trad Thrift Exchange over at AAAC. Not somewhere to try to sell bunches of Italian stuff, but with B&S declining traffic (30 viewing?! yikes, that's down quite a bit, even for morning... I used to have a coffee and browse B&S for deals posted overnight, but I don't do that anymore and I'm sure others don't either) and increasing prices/focus on high-end sellers (no disrespect, Spoo - I know some sellers are still the same value, but it seems like most listings are in Teh Spensive range now overall), it's a good idea to look at all your options. Several members have told me in PM they're using local consignment shops more often and I've had good results with that myself. The purely selfish downside there is that people who live in sartorial Nowherevilles can't see your stuff. :devil:

Oh yeah - stopped in an early-opening-for-sale-day thrift this morning after dropping my son off and came out with a J. Press tie. Maybe my overcoat fanaticism is showing through (and oh my gosh, the hangers!) but I'm more looking forward to listing the Harris Tweed overcoat and vintage cashmere coats, particularly the cashmere Chesterfield I've been holding on to for awhile... need to remember that around here, that tie is as rare as TF elsewhere!

ALSO:
    A comment Mainy made struck me as an interesting idea: is there a way to limit viewing this thread to members by post count, or by restricted viewing somehow? I recall someone awhile back said they saw a bunch of literal PRINTOUTS from this thread in the back room at a store, with brands highlighted and all. I'm aware of Google and the Wayback Machine and Ebay searchand stuff like that... but still, there's something to the idea of limiting access a bit. I don't even know if something would be possible, but I'm pretty sure that most thrift store owners doing research won't take the time to sign up and make a good number of posts just to see this thread - which is probably the most we could try to ask for.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

11. SpooPoker

None taken... but Ive got $3,000+ suits for like, 89% off. :confused:

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I sent a PM yesterday to J about this. As our SF overlord, but also the one who started this thread many moons ago, I hope that he will have sympathy with our plight. J is quite an accomplished thrifter, although with all the big bucks rolling in from SF these days he may have moved up to buying from Spoo...

Cashmere Chesterfield, you say?

13. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWGP [​IMG]

A comment Mainy made struck me as an interesting idea: is there a way to limit viewing this thread to members by post count, or by restricted viewing somehow? I recall someone awhile back said they saw a bunch of literal PRINTOUTS from this thread in the back room at a store, with brands highlighted and all. I'm aware of Google and the Wayback Machine and Ebay searchand stuff like that... but still, there's something to the idea of limiting access a bit. I don't even know if something would be possible, but I'm pretty sure that most thrift store owners doing research won't take the time to sign up and make a good number of posts just to see this thread - which is probably the most we could try to ask for.

As a low post count, long time reader but only recent poster, this worries me quite a bit.

14. threeleggeddog

threeleggeddog Senior member

I think this is getting more complicated than need be. I mean, we're talking about second-hand good information - this isn't really "our" information. Why exclude it from other people? And it definitely doesn't merit restricting viewership to newbies (I'm sure styleforum gets a lot of new members because of this thread). If they are setting individual prices, they are probably going to use the sales prices from Ebay as a reference. Enthusiasm from a site called StyleForum (which isn't known to the majority of people) probably won't be their first source of info. And if it is, who really cares? They will learn that most guys won't pay those prices for non-designer-mainstream brands and end up discounting anyways.

15. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

I agree - everyone's got to start somewhere, as it were. I'm not sure it could be straight post count, maybe there would need to be some sort of approval process. Thing is, there's probably too many people who legitimately read the thread but don't post to it for that to work. Thing is, if you put just a trivial post count requirement (like 5 or less) what's stopping them from just posting "interesting" in a couple of threads and bam, there they go? Then again, I'm not sure how much of it is so Google-driven that just registration alone might cut out some of it. It wouldn't be so bad if they actually read enough to understand, but what always seems to happen is they just get a tiny sliver and then go price their 1970's Zegna orphaned suit coat at 100 bucks. And BTW - most thrifts, the ones I've seen who print out ebay auctions for showcase stuff and so on and so forth - they get misled by the high-priced "best offer" auctions and generally don't seem to understand the idea of completed or the difference between ebay and their store. It's true that this information is on Google or whatever - but the compilation here is independently worthwhile. That's why newbies get told "read this thread - all of it - before you post old Haggar stuff and ask if it's worth something." Also, Styleforum has amazing Google pagerank for anything clothes related. It's surprising how much it comes up with a search for a high-end brand and maybe a few words about an item or pricing or whatnot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.