• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insurance man

Reaction score
Not a thrift store but an estate sale. Found this in a box with 4 other working walmart watches. Thought the box would be worth at least $8 as marked. is it real and if so what would it be worth ballpark?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Not a thrift store but an estate sale. Found this in a box with 4 other working walmart watches. Thought the box would be worth at least $8 as marked. is it real and if so what would it be worth ballpark?

Doesn't look real to me....

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went to St. Louis for a concert today and went a few hours early to check out some thrift stores. The first one I stopped at was supposed to be pretty good, but when I got there nearly everything was gone except for two racks of men's clothes, because they were selling everything for $1 to prepare to move to a new location.

Then I went to a store in what looked like a really rich neighborhood, which was one of the more bizarre experiences I've ever had thrifting. I don't know if it's just because they're in a rich neighborhood or they only accept name-brand clothes, but there was all kinds of stuff from Brooks Brothers, Neiman Marcus, Paul Stuart. Found some terribly ugly Ferragamo blutchers, a Golden Fleece jacket, an Isaia tuxedo and lots of other things, none of which I bought. The prices were a lot higher than what I'm used to in a thrift store - shirts went for between $15 and $20 for most of them, Tralfagar belts selling for $25, some kind of exotic animal skin shoes from Cole Haan for $180. It is, of course, their right to set prices at the actual value of the item but I didn't want to pay $20 for a used shirt (not to mention everything was in size medium or up, as usual) so I didn't get anything.

The oddest thing in that store was that there was an entire rack dedicated to cashmere. There was literally a rack just for 100% cashmere sweaters and cardigans, but they only did that with women's clothes so I didn't get anything from there either.

Isaia stuff sells pretty easy on eBay...

Hoofit

Reaction score
First find in a while. BB appear to be new and unworn and skinny, Ferragamo still has the tag on it. All are available for trade or offers since I need X-Long.
I also found some black selvege unbranded brand sz 32. I didn't kop because I didnt know if they are worth flipping. If someone is interested let me know.

feragamo002.jpg

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
First find in a while. BB appear to be new and unworn and skinny, Ferragamo still has the tag on it. All are available for trade or offers since I need X-Long.
I also found some black selvege unbranded brand sz 32. I didn't kop because I didnt know if they are worth flipping. If someone is interested let me know.

feragamo002.jpg

what length are you talking? I have a Bamford & Sons grenadine that is 62" long...

tonylamer

Reaction score
I found a couple of things today that never seem to show up on this site, but they're actually pretty decent pieces. A pair of single-pleated Cacharel tweed pants with horn buttons. They're probably 30 years old, but in great shape. A pair of older Keithmoor (Coppley) pants with MOP buttons. I'd put both easily above my Brooks Brothers and Zanella slacks in terms of quality. I guess they were both made and sold in Canada at a time when there wasn't much brand penetration from the States.

Also, for novelty's sake, I picked up a Robert Hall (Hall American) flecked-wool coat or ski jacket that's probably circa 1949/1950. I'd always wanted a flecked-wool coat. I tried it on when I got home, and I'm not cool enough to pull it off.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its fake. You can tell right away because the magnification isnt strong enough. Real Rolex watches use a 2.5x magnification and the fake ones are usually around 1.5x. Also it looks like the cheap gold plating is coming off in a bunch of places. You can probably get $40 at a pawn shop for it though.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a fake Omega at the thrift yesterday. It wasn't obviously fake just from looking at it, but as soon as I picked it up, I could tell. And they were asking $99 for it. :uhoh:

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not epic, but found a nifty heavy Harris Tweed overcoat and a pretty sweet made-in-Austria 100% cashmere overcoat today. Both in great shape. Better than loads of nothing.

BTW, around here we don't even see FAKE rolexes. There's an awful punchline in there somewhere... ;) In all honesty, the number of automatics of any brand at any price I've seen can certainly be counted on one hand.

Last edited:

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score

I found a couple of things today that never seem to show up on this site, but they're actually pretty decent pieces. A pair of single-pleated Cacharel tweed pants with horn buttons. They're probably 30 years old, but in great shape. A pair of older Keithmoor (Coppley) pants with MOP buttons. I'd put both easily above my Brooks Brothers and Zanella slacks in terms of quality. I guess they were both made and sold in Canada at a time when there wasn't much brand penetration from the States.

Also, for novelty's sake, I picked up a Robert Hall (Hall American) flecked-wool coat or ski jacket that's probably circa 1949/1950. I'd always wanted a flecked-wool coat. I tried it on when I got home, and I'm not cool enough to pull it off.
I'd like to see a photo of the Cacharel trousers, maybe a few close shots of the stitching and details. Always interesting on older pieces.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Isaia stuff sells pretty easy on eBay...

I thought it might, but I wasn't about to risk $80 on something when I had no idea what it was going for. I don't have mobile internet so I have to rely on my memory, and I still don't know that much.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isaia and Tom Ford stuff sell like crack to an addict.

guyver00

Reaction score
Found a beautiful Irish tweed jacket. From Burberry and my size for only $10. I suppose you can't wear PC when there's a flap on the chest pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads