The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

could be that they include forks and knives and other little trinkets in that 4,00 number.

3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Funny enough, I was just complaining about never finding any nice shoes the other day. Well I found some today, but none fit me, sadly.

Allen Edmonds "Leeds" pebble grain oxfords. Great condition...Size 9C

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Allen Edmonds "Monterey" buckle loafers. Great condition, really nice looking, wish they fit me. Size 10.5C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Red Wings work boots. Heavy, awesome...but too big at size 15B. The flash on the camera makes them look faded or something, but they look awesome in person...deep orangish red color and look like serious business.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ties: Ben Silver, Garivaldi, Brooks Bros, Brooks Bros. Never heard of Garivaldi, but I love the design and the material feels substantial.

[​IMG]

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:worship: Those are great, Dig! Thanks! I want to make that last one an avatar, but it won't let me upload. :( Who can halp?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Savers is the one around here that flaunts this over their intercom system. I highly doubt it. I worked at a moderate sized Salvation Army store. On average we put out 700 pieces of clothing and 400-600 nick-nacky houseware items per day with a small handful of furniture items tossed into the mix. They'd have to have a huge store and insane turnover to be putting out 3-4k items per day.

6. Chillax

Chillax Well-Known Member

Hey, I have those exact shoes and I thrifted mine too :nodding: Not oxfords though- they are derbys/bluchers

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

But....how, I wonder. I pop-in like once a week, and there's the same old shirts, sitting in the same old places. (I will literally roll down the rack these clusters of five, six shirts I tried on two weeks ago). It just doesn't seem like any place I visit is really putting much new stuff at all. :(

:laugh:

8. mainy

mainy Senior member

most of it is women's clothing, the turnover there is far, far higher

we need to get this thread where you can only read it if you have a few 100 posts on SF guys. prices on certain things here keep skyrocketing and I doubt this thread being one of the top google results for thrift stores is helping things out. i am probably going to quit posting in here simply because there is too much information for free that anybody can access at this point and i feel like stores are using it against us :fu:

9. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Ah, thanks for the correction. :-D

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

What, you too? Really? I assumed this was just a case of Google reading my cookies, not the same for most people. Like I Googled 'Thom Browne blazer' or something the other day and the first thing that popped-up were images of Fuuma and someone else from SF.
    :uhoh:

11. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

12. mainy

mainy Senior member

SF has tremendous search ranking in google for anything clothes related. it's pretty nuts

13. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I went to St. Louis for a concert today and went a few hours early to check out some thrift stores. The first one I stopped at was supposed to be pretty good, but when I got there nearly everything was gone except for two racks of men's clothes, because they were selling everything for $1 to prepare to move to a new location.

Then I went to a store in what looked like a really rich neighborhood, which was one of the more bizarre experiences I've ever had thrifting. I don't know if it's just because they're in a rich neighborhood or they only accept name-brand clothes, but there was all kinds of stuff from Brooks Brothers, Neiman Marcus, Paul Stuart. Found some terribly ugly Ferragamo blutchers, a Golden Fleece jacket, an Isaia tuxedo and lots of other things, none of which I bought. The prices were a lot higher than what I'm used to in a thrift store - shirts went for between $15 and $20 for most of them, Tralfagar belts selling for $25, some kind of exotic animal skin shoes from Cole Haan for $180. It is, of course, their right to set prices at the actual value of the item but I didn't want to pay $20 for a used shirt (not to mention everything was in size medium or up, as usual) so I didn't get anything.

The oddest thing in that store was that there was an entire rack dedicated to cashmere. There was literally a rack just for 100% cashmere sweaters and cardigans, but they only did that with women's clothes so I didn't get anything from there either.

14. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

The last one was too long and it would take an administrator to allow it to work. Here's a couple more that I shortened up and tested to make sure that they both worked. I'll leave them in my photobucket account but if you want them, just upload them to yours and then you'll always have them.
    You're welcome.

Apply to infested area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're still...

k r e e p y

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

<---- :fistbump:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.