1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Actually, the opposite is true. The Corporate Casual models are all rubber soled.

I'm not sure of the exact model, but based on my experience selling used AE's, a fair price is is somewhere in the $50-75 (shipped) range.

2. threeleggeddog

threeleggeddog Senior member

Why are rich old white ladies any less appropriate for thrifting than a bunch of guys with more clothes than they can wear? And maybe you only think they're rich because they're really good thrifters...

At the end of the day, if the thrift store can sell items for outrageous amounts of money, all the better. If it's a non-profit, usually the money goes to charity anyways - don't lose sight of that in your quest for $5 brioni pants. Let those old ladies pay $100 and get some more money for medical research (or whatever).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

I guess I am a different breed. It's always a pleasure running into a well dressed guy and sometime start a conversation form that, asking about where they shop, brands, etc... and eventually lead to other topics. Some where amaze that I shop at thrift store and start thrifting themselves. I have no problem telling anybody where sale are, I am on mailing list of many large department stores and tell people all the time where is having sale, I have no problem teaching people about quality close. In fact, I do not want to be the only guy on the block wearing Brioni, I want the whole block to be "best dressed". I wear 42R, not all the Kiton on a thrift store will be 42R. Now we are this conversation of I think of it, I sometime walk in a thrift store and see guys give that look as if I step in their territory, is that what thrifters do? Oh I brag about my tailor all the time and give refferal every time the opportunity present itself.

4. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

It wouldn't matter really , when I am getting something for myself that is top of the line for a whole lot less than Neiman Marcus and sometime in nearly new condition. But, when I am thinking of flipping it, well that make a big difference.

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

+1 on all accounts. Couldn't have said it better myself.

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

What are they? The look great.

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I lol'd. :laugh:

I'd be careful with the last part, though. It seems like most well-known thrifts (like Goodwill) aren't charities at all; some are even closer to scams (Goodwill again).

8. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

9. threeleggeddog

threeleggeddog Senior member

I think that's a good point (if anyone here is basing their purchase price on philanthropy). There have been plenty of non-profit scandals hiding under a cloak of philanthropy. A girlfriend of mine from years back (about 5 years ago, back in grad school) had a dad that was a regional director for X city's Boys and Girls clubs. The guy played golf (building business relationships, obviously) on donation money about 4 days a week.

But I am also a little curious about the Goodwill comment - do these operate independently?

10. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Had some good luck recently for stuff that actually fits.

First a 3 piece suit from Saks, made in USA, possibly from 1949? You guys know a lot more than me
    [​IMG]

3 piece suit from saks, super soft wool, made in USA.

[​IMG]
    I'm not sure if this is actually from 1949? Says 42, but the shoulders actually fit me better than anything I have. I generally wear a 38. It might be from '49, I recently passed on a '53 oxxford coat because ummmmm :embar:.
    [​IMG]

things on the right I'm keeping: dry denim from nudie, in the appropriately named Ralf (bad boot cut), trafalgar belt & clarks DBs

on the left is the loro piana "Horsey", size XS. Barba size 43/17, and Saintandrews pants sz 40/R. I think they're actually separates and not orphans as the label just says trousers.
    [​IMG]

I also got a good lesson in patience
    [​IMG]

I have been trying to get slim cut oxfords that fit or come closer enough for a trip to the tailor for awhile without luck and wound up splurging on a gitman bros shirt... and then a hillside tie because I liked the print, for quite a bit more than thrift prices. So what do I find within a month? A slim cut rugby that fits better than the gitman and a floral print brooks bros that's pretty damn close to the hill-side job. Damnit.

11. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    wcl, not enough kudos in the world for that haul. Jesus H. Caviezel!

Does that Isaia have basting stitches?

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

+1. That's not a good day. That's a good year! Some of that stuff I've never seen in person in 10 years of thrifting.

Excactly. The Salvation Army is one of the most corrupt organizations I know of in our area. They do vary greatly from region to region though.

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Again I say, "Pics or it never happened!"

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Well, I'm no expert, but in my area, Goodwill is for-profit and they aren't allowed to call themselves a charity. They pay their workers little, and half of them, not at all. (Many are 'volunteers'; teens caught with drugs or copulating in parks, the odd high school student sharpening her gaze on Harvard, or the wayward little old lady expecting to lift up coats to the homeless, along with a steaming ladle of soup). But most troubling is the way seem to acquire their inventory; no longer allowed to pick-up clothes door-to-door, they hide under a shell company/charity who does that for them. I used to think that when I donated clothes, they were headed to homeless shelters or women's shelters, or withering kids, or something, not bargain hunters. No mas! Now I know you kinda half to search out those places yourself. Plus, those goddamned ceiling holes, man! Why are they always right over the dressing rooms, and nowhere else? I swear, they're turning another profit with Japanese businessmen or something. Can't say what it's like in other areas.

15. mainy

mainy Senior member

goodwill here is one of the true for charity / not for profit thrift stores - you can tell because you don't have to pay sales tax at them, along with salvation army and the DAV stores

and wcl did you rob a yoox truck? that CN jacket is sick I wish it was a small size but it looks like a 40

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.