The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

I had the same experience. When I first started, I picked up everything brooks brothers, ties, shirt, suits, blazer, fit me or not, thinking that I found a gold mine. [​IMG] Now, I rarely pick up Brooks Bros. even the one that fits me.

2. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Glad to hear the tie thing worked out! Details on SC?

I'll have to thrift more! Maybe there's enough Berkshire guys to keep the goodwill's full :laugh:

3. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Well-Known Member

Thanks.

My prudence as I start the thrifting adventure comes after some rather egregious imprudence in retail shopping. For my first suit a couple years ago, I paid full retail price for what i thought was a very versatile black Hugo Boss. Needless to say, the salesman still calls me every few months to see if I need to add anything else to my wardrobe.

4. threeleggeddog

threeleggeddog Senior member

The best cities are likely poorly dressed on average, with a decent number of higher paying jobs, and without a huge artsy, college population. I've only been in Louisiana for a little bit, but I've ironically found better finds in Baton Rouge than in New Orleans. I think the younger, artsy New Orleans crowd sucks up all the decent inventory pretty quickly. Baton Rouge has little of anything but engineering, law, medical, and LSU (and the LSU students are much more interested in drinking than blazers, though the thrift shops further from campus are better). However, the few men who do wear ties seem to have much better than average jobs - about 1/3 of the ties I find are at least Brooks Brother quality.

That said, if you took LSU out of the city, I'm sure the finds would be better. I'm sure there are plenty of similar cities without a major university.

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow - nice score on those Pebbles comps!

Me too. The photos on the auction kinda suck, but it's a gray herringbone pattern. Wool/cashmere blend. 3 btn. Side vents and elbow patches done in the jacket fabric. From the measurements provided, it should fit me spot on.

6. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I was so close to bidding on that :laugh:

I have a couple other purchases that are more necessary though.

7. nohio

nohio Senior member

Found a pair of medium brown suede Allen Edmonds longwings, which would be the MacNeil model. But these have a vibram commando sole. Did they ever make them in that style or are these a later customization?

They're pretty bad ass, but a size too large for me, so they'll be up on eBay when I can figure out what they are.

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

^ Photos would have helped. If the sole says 'Allen Edmonds' it was a custom order. if not, it was added after purchase.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

9. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Sizes of those Oxxfords and the monk straps?

10. wcl

wcl Senior member

It was a good day......
    [​IMG]
    Isaia NWOT, J Press Pressidential, USA PRL Tweed, Etro Goosedown Paisley Jacket, Sartoria Sarrar Cashmere/Goat topcoat by Caruso, Bamford & Sons suit
    [​IMG]
    RLPL, LP Baby Cashmere, William Lockie, Gran Sasso
    [​IMG]
    Stefano Ricci Cashmere, SR silk shirts
    and what I think is the coolest of all......
    [​IMG]
    Costume National Leather Jacket

I will be keeping the PRL Tweed, as it is all that fits. In deference to the thrift gods I left an Etro goatsuede blazer and a Ciffonelli sweater. Hopefully it will do my thrift karma some good down the line:)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    jaysus.

12. Mrshinyredplanet

Mrshinyredplanet Active Member

[​IMG]

Scored these online, at $20NZD. Worth it. in my opinion.

13. 83glt

83glt Senior member

-1 It's actually an apt response to an annoying question that's been asked here a hundred thousand times. Your analogy, as others state, is not a good one. I can, however, think of a reason for not sharing my tailor with others if his time is limited and I'd rather have him take a week to do one of my shirts than have him take a month because he has so many orders. As for a sale, why would I want you to compete with me in getting the best items at the best price?
    +1 That's the whole point. You never know what you will find or where you will find it. I've found amazing items in "ghetto" thrifts. I've also seen the worst thrift stores ever there. I've also found amazing items in ritzy hoods.
    Case in point. But still, why should you expect others to share their hot spots when you aren't willing to do the same? Boca Raton probably has a dozen thrifts. Tell us which one it was exactly?
    :)
    Where I live, the wealthier neighborhood thrifts are packed with rich old white women who are apparently trying to penny pinch to save for more plastic surgery. Like seriously, these women have wealth that I can only dream of, and their shopping in thrift stores? It's kind of disgusting actually and should probably be illegal. It usually results in higher prices in these stores. Ya, there's lots of Brioni, but I'm just not going to spend $150 for a used pair of Brioni pants.

14. nohio

nohio Senior member

Here's a pic. The insole says Corporate Casual, which leads me to believe that the sole is a later addition. I'd still be interested to know what model it is if anyone has a clue.

[​IMG]

15. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

What. The. Fuck.

Want that LP cashmere sweater :drool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.