The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

well I stopped by my local Goodwill today since its rainy outside and picked up these two . One is a XMI Platinium the other one is a JoS Banks Signature collection in a orange print color (yeah guys another orange necktie[​IMG] ) * * * Now this is something I need you guys advice on, I found this today for $2.00, It looks like a vintage Gucci tie case, It has the gucci stamped on the zipper pull, the velvet on the inside is top quality, I will try and shine up the tipper and the pull . What do you think ?
    I really like the orange tie! (note the maker is Jos. A. Bank -- I see you like to add an "S" onto names like the one on "Chipps"! [​IMG] ) How is the leather on the Gucci tie case? That's a very nice find as well (are you 100% sure it's not fake?)

2. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Looks like a little Brioni nursery.[​IMG] All your size?

The AEs are quite nice - congratulations on finding them in your size!

Unfortunately for me and the eight Brionis -- five are size 16" neck and three are size 16 1/2" neck -- I'm a 17" neck. However the lengths are all fine (34/35"). So I guess I'll be wearing these without a tie! I would flip them for about $25 each but they're just too nice so I'll probably just keep them... to wear on weekends with jeans and the sleeves rolled up!

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

The AEs are quite nice - congratulations on finding them in your size!

Unfortunately for me and the eight Brionis -- five are size 16" neck and three are size 16 1/2" neck -- I'm a 17" neck. However the lengths are all fine (34/35"). So I guess I'll be wearing these without a tie! I would flip them for about $25 each but they're just too nice so I'll probably just keep them... to wear on weekends with jeans and the sleeves rolled up!

That's a great stroke of luck you had there! I've only found three Brionis before, all were alone and all were the ancient Brioni for Neiman Marcus (with the dated Neiman Marcus text on the tag) shirts with the pointy collars. Oh well.

Today's haul from eBay:

Martin Margeila pants labeled as "Zero123456789" $15.00
    Amir Wool blazer $5
    Greyson NY wool blazer $7.50
    Victor Victoria khaki linen blazer $6
    J. Keydge blue linen blazer $9.50

4. 42 Dandy

42 Dandy Active Member

Found more pantless suits today (Oxxford,Brooks Hand Tailored Golden Fleece).Frustrated,I was on my way out and spied a single interesting wingtip with a very nice shape.I frantically searched all the shoe aisles and finally found its mate,a Church Custom Grade Ranch Ox wingtip Brogue in Black.Fits perfect,just needed a nice polish,which I was happy to do!

5. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden
    I really like the orange tie! (note the maker is Jos. A. Bank -- I see you like to add an "S" onto names like the one on "Chipps"! [​IMG] )

How is the leather on the Gucci tie case? That's a very nice find as well (are you 100% sure it's not fake?)

im not sure if its a fake but for 2 bucks it was worth the risk, gucci is not know very well for leather goods, I know I do have a fancy for adding"S" I own a 96 Impala SS and on that forum S's get used a lot!![​IMG]

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

That's a Gucci piece probably from the '70s. I will buy it off you.

7. meister

meister Senior member

Looks like a little Brioni nursery.[​IMG] All your size?

After months of doing this thrifting thing and almost completely outfitting my oldest son for his first job, putting both of my sons in far better shoes than I own and making a few bucks, I was beginning to despair of ever finding something I could wear myself.
    Well the last week or so has been pretty good. In addition to some very nice things that I've sold or am selling...
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...596#post787596
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=49692
    ...I actually found a pair of AEs that fit me perfectly.
    [​IMG]

For all the slagging and bagging of AEs those are nice ! What is the name of the style?

8. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

That's a Gucci piece probably from the '70s. I will buy it off you.

I sent the pictures to this guy that knows Vintage GUCCI and he had me to look at the letters crimped on the button snap which read ECHT PRYM and with the GUCCI stamped on the zipper pull which shined up like brass he was certain it was real and from the 70's also.

he wanted to buy it also ,But when i asked him the Value he told me he would have to look it up, which I thought was strange since he knew so much about the piece.

9. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I sent the pictures to this guy that knows Vintage GUCCI and he had me to look at the letters crimped on the button snap which read ECHT PRYM and with the GUCCI stamped on the zipper pull which shined up like brass he was certain it was real and from the 70's also.

he wanted to buy it also ,But when i asked him the Value he told me he would have to look it up, which I thought was strange since he knew so much about the piece.

The Gucci arms displayed appear to feature a bellboy rather than a knight (as later displayed) -- which is exactly what was featured many years ago. Interesting find.

10. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

The Gucci arms displayed appear to feature a bellboy rather than a knight (as later displayed) -- which is exactly what was featured many years ago. Interesting find.

wow, what do you guys think this is worth? I think I will have a special wall hanging display case made for it.

11. mbell

mbell Senior member

I've found a small variety of things from different stores over the past few weeks. The Allen Edmonds shoes shown below were only $4. They looked a little rough, but cleaned up pretty well. Anyone know what model they are? The insides were too worn to read anything.

[​IMG]

I got a very nice Zegna shirt with a white base and very small purpleish pattern. Looks really nice, fairly heavy weight for a dress shirt. $5 There were several other very nice shirts that came from the same guy. They all had his name in them. Most of them were too big though. There were a few custom ones, but they had been monogrammed on the cuff. Too bad since the custom ones fit me best. The Zegna was a little big, but I think it will be OK. Might take it to the tailor.

A Turnbull and Asser in French Blue with wide stripes for $7. A few minor stains, but I think they should come out. The same store also had some AE Polo saddle shoes in ox blood and black for $9. The sole had come partly unstitched and they were a half size smaller than I normally wear, but they seemed to feel OK. I left them behind, but I may go back.

And one of my best finds ever, this Brioni jacket that fits just about perfectly. $10. You can't tell the colors very well from the picture but it is a cream/khaki base with the pattern in olive. Dual vents. Gotta figure out what to wear it with now.

[​IMG]

The same store had a very nice Zegna jacket. The pattern seemed too busy to be a suit jacket, but the details on the tag indicated a suit from what I could tell. It was a little long anyway, so I left it behind. I also left behind a Derek Rose pajama top. Couldn't find the bottoms.

Also at the same store was a group of AmJacks looking for what else but stripped shirts. One of them proclaimed "Damn, this one is all shiny and shit!" I didn't think AmJacks thrifted. Hope it doesn't become a trend.

mike

12. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

The AEs look good in the pic. They must have cleaned up very well indeed. You made a nice haul, though your Brioni pic wouldn't load for me.

I haven't spotted any AmJacks thrifting stripey shirts, but I have seen some vaguely AmJack hipsters combing the racks for vintage Ts.

13. mbell

mbell Senior member

The AEs look good in the pic. They must have cleaned up very well indeed.

They still have some dark areas in the creases. Built up wax or something. I guess it is not that noticeable unless you are real close. The other thing about the AEs is they are marked a 12B. They are the same width as my 10.5 D Park Avenues and just a little longer. I'll have to see how they feel after I walk around in them a bit.

Thanks. The server here can be funny about permissions settings. It should be OK now.

mike

14. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

For all the slagging and bagging of AEs those are nice ! What is the name of the style?

They are Bentons. Definitely a casual shoe with a Vibram sole...very comfortable. I wore them with slacks and a shirt this weekend.

15. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

I've found a small variety of things from different stores over the past few weeks. The Allen Edmonds shoes shown below were only $4. They looked a little rough, but cleaned up pretty well. Anyone know what model they are? The insides were too worn to read anything.

[​IMG]

I got a very nice Zegna shirt with a white base and very small purpleish pattern. Looks really nice, fairly heavy weight for a dress shirt. $5 There were several other very nice shirts that came from the same guy. They all had his name in them. Most of them were too big though. There were a few custom ones, but they had been monogrammed on the cuff. Too bad since the custom ones fit me best. The Zegna was a little big, but I think it will be OK. Might take it to the tailor.

A Turnbull and Asser in French Blue with wide stripes for $7. A few minor stains, but I think they should come out. The same store also had some AE Polo saddle shoes in ox blood and black for $9. The sole had come partly unstitched and they were a half size smaller than I normally wear, but they seemed to feel OK. I left them behind, but I may go back.

And one of my best finds ever, this Brioni jacket that fits just about perfectly. $10. You can't tell the colors very well from the picture but it is a cream/khaki base with the pattern in olive. Dual vents. Gotta figure out what to wear it with now.

[​IMG]

The same store had a very nice Zegna jacket. The pattern seemed too busy to be a suit jacket, but the details on the tag indicated a suit from what I could tell. It was a little long anyway, so I left it behind. I also left behind a Derek Rose pajama top. Couldn't find the bottoms.

Also at the same store was a group of AmJacks looking for what else but stripped shirts. One of them proclaimed "Damn, this one is all shiny and shit!" I didn't think AmJacks thrifted. Hope it doesn't become a trend.

mike

I can't always get that Multi-quote feature to work.

Very nice finds here. The Aes look great and the Brioni, from that pic, doesn't seem dated. Good stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.