The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. threeleggeddog

threeleggeddog Senior member

Your hermes tie is way cooler than the one I just found.

I love that harris tweed jacket. Is that also the 44R-fits-you-well variety (I need a 40R)?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

2. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

well its an over coat and it fits me like a sport coat so i bet it would work. they're both from the same estate, and the cashmere one is a 40, and fits about the same.

3. threeleggeddog

threeleggeddog Senior member

double post

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

If it fits and ya like it, hang onto it. I've sold a lot of stuff that fit me which I regret doing!

5. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

yea im just not sure if i like it or not. will probably end up ebaying it rather than let it sit in my already stuffed closet.

6. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I often give trousers short shrift for all the reasons mentioned. Really, the only tried-and-true method I know of is to not be shy: If there's the slightest chance, tear that puppy off the hanger, check the label, then throw it back unhung and keep making your way down the rack. If you take the time to re-hang, you'll be there all afternoon, and I generally have no more than an hour for all four stores on my daily route. Now, you'll leave a wake of unhung trousers as you go, but, really, who cares? Especially at GW, they seem to have more than enough help to take care of it, and, generally, it's no more than a dozen or so pants in a given session.

7. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

I was leafing through a pants rack last weak when I came across a pair of trousers with poop stains. Thankfully, I never made physical contact with the pants in question but, good lord, it's disconcerting to know that there are gentlemen (and I use that is the loosest sense) who will pinch a loaf in their drawers and then donate it to the sisters of the poor. C'mon guy.

8. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

As someone who works in sales, I hope you have recurring nightmares that ruin your sleep for weeks on end of being suffocated and having your ribs crushed by a mound of the things which you have left in places where you did not first find them.

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ I agree. My first job was working at a Salvation Army and I haaated when people wouldn't hang the stuff back up. It came to the point where I'd just grab the stuff off the floor or wherever they left the clothes and throw them in the salvage pile. Yeah, it's just a thrift store but still. Keep it as you left it - it's just common courtesy.

10. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

If you're a regular, the staff do notice this. You can be sure that you won't be the one they tip the wiink to when there is some good stuff coming. I do all I can to stay on the good side of the volunteers.

11. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Nice coats csoukoulis! I see you're missing a certain gold-stitched label at the top, though... :D :hide:

No, really, I had a Harris Tweed overcoat last year - that thing was the real deal. Ended up selling just because it was replaced. The only heavier coat I've ever seen is the Oxxford tweed, which I think is intended for wear in the Arctic.

Those SC's are beauties too... I haven't seen any Oxxford in a little while in the wild. There was a NWT Oxxford air force blue cashmere 40R at discount... but it was still $299 so I left it, not worth the exposure to MAYBE make 100 bucks. Oxxford resale value is a shame, given how awesome they are.

And seriously, if it fits you, keep it - even if you're finding amazing stuff on a semi-regular basis, you just can't count on some SPECIFIC rare item popping up in your size. Something like that LP coat - yeah, okay, you gotta sell that - but if there's any economical way to keep it, you should do it. I could sell that guanaco coat for probably in the neighborhood of a grand, but I'll NEVER see another one like it and I'm not DESPERATE for money, so it's staying in my closet. Rather, more specifically, in a garment bag covered with a plastic wrap in a closet completely apart from any other clothing or moth-attractive item. :laugh:

BTW... I go back and forth about Zanella. I've only successfully sold one or two pairs - the fewer pleats the better. The Platinums are nicer, and I think they're more dependable than Incos/Mabis, but they're more "workhorse pants" and less "trendy" if that makes any sense. There are some really, really, really nice Zanellas out there - I have a pair of Zanella Plats in super 130's, flat fronts, that are awesome - but that's definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I have this silly fear that if I fail to rehang an item that I dislodged in passing that the "gods of thrift" will punish me with nothing but racks of Savane and Stafford. I try to make sure that I properly replace everything in the hopes that I'll be rewarded with a "label". Not coincidentally, my Mabitex and PRL finds have come after applying this policy, thereby reinforcing my superstition.

Sometimes after clearing away some broken tees from the tee box, I hit a golf ball pretty straight and far as well.

I dunno. [​IMG]

13. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    you're funny but probably right

14. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

what angers me is how some people take forever in changing rooms.. eventhough it says 6 items only they'll grab 20 items and take in in there, and leave everything that doesn't fit in a huge pile.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

15. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

The thing with oxxford is that you have no idea how old it is. (at least I don't, I'm sure there are some who are very good at it) Their stuff is so well made it lasts forever. I bought an oxxford suit when I was just starting on SF for $80, it a very dark navy. The problem is its over 30 years old and the wool is pretty coarse. The suit is a tank and could last another 30 years, but I'll take my BBGF/Isaia stuff where I can sort of date it and know how recent it is.

Zanella on eBay is mostly the four pleat or two giant pleat models. :( I think pant shopping may be the most frustrating thing on eBay for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.