• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartlebooth

Reaction score

Like you, just picked these up on eBay for $48 shipped. First pair of wingtips :D. Allen Edmonds McAllister, hard to find anything haflway decent in my size 7D
I sympathize. I'm a 10 wide, so the abundance of size 10D shoes out there is all the more frustrating, because I know they just won't fit. One the other hand, having a more uncommon size is why you can score shoes in a good condition on eBay for a steal; we have fewer competitors.
When it rains, it...well doesn't pour, but drizzles pretty hard. At home in beautiful San Francisco for a week and decided to hit up some thrifts. First place was a dud, second place picked up an awesome Valentino jacket and a NWT Native Sons OCBD, both in my size . Third place picked up two pairs of Isaia pants and a RLPL shirt. Shame they're all too big. Will probably trade or sell.
This is one of those times that makes me hate that I rarely have the patience to go through pants racks. And on my stomping ground, too! I was going to go for some thrifting later, but if you cleared the city of Isaia, why bother? :sarcasm:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
This is one of those times that makes me hate that I rarely have the patience to go through pants racks. And on my stomping ground, too! I was going to go for some thrifting later, but if you cleared the city of Isaia, why bother?
sarcasm.gif

+1 I hate pants racks. Takes as longer to go though the pants then through the rest of the store. Anyone have good pant thrifting tips or methods?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Look for split curtained waistbands, the loop thing on the back of the waistband which are commonly used by Oxxford and striped waistband lining (common on everything from Bills Khakis and Incotex to Isaia). Another feature to look for is pick stitching. It may sound like a lot to look for, but it really isn't when you're there flipping through. I can usually pick out a pair of Incotex just by spotting the waistband lining or the little belt-buckle loop on the front.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Can you toss a picture up of the waistband lining and "loop"? Not 100% sure what you mean. Zanella's and a lot of Zegna's are easy to spot as most have the name written on the entire waistband, is that what you mean? Never seen Incotex with the name written there. Thanks very much!!

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I started thrifting I just skipped the pants entirely. It didn't seem worth the effort. Spend a few hours of looking at every pair of pants on the rack and you will gain the experience necessary to do it efficiently. I will look inside the waistband of perhaps one pair in 50. In western Arkansas once I skimmed over about 18 feet of pants rack and only looked inside one pair, a pair of wool twill khaki Oxxford.

I have learned to identify Bill's so I make a little game of it. When I see belt loops which could be Bill's I take a closer look at the pants before looking inside the waistband for labels, and then try to predict whether they are Bill's or not Bill's. By looking at the belt loops and then the buttons you can win that game about 100% of the time if you know what you are looking for.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It can be pretty frustrating, though, as many pants have decoys. For instance, there's one common brand with purple-striped lining, similar to RLPL; another's lining (I think it's Haggar Black Label) is identical to Zanella; another looks like Incotex. And don't even get me started on the 'Retro' labels... X(

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It can be pretty frustrating, though, as many pants have decoys. For instance, there's one common brand with purple-striped lining, similar to RLPL; another's lining (I think it's Haggar Black Label) is identical to Zanella; another looks like Incotex. And don't even get me started on the 'Retro' labels... X(

Sean John looks like RLPL if I remember correctly :laugh:

Not that they would ever be mistaken for one another...

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Yup, Sean Jean uses the purple label stripe as well as another maker I forgot.

quote name="noobizor" url="/t/9006/the-official-thrift-discount-store-bragging-thread/17550#post_4811227"]It can be pretty frustrating, though, as many pants have decoys. For instance, there's one common brand with purple-striped lining, similar to RLPL; another's lining (I think it's Haggar Black Label) is identical to Zanella; another looks like Incotex. And don't even get me started on the 'Retro' labels... X(
[/quote]

I've seen these so much, I'll see if I can match these up. :laugh:

RLPL look-a-like: Sean Jean
Zanella look-a-like: Savane
Incotex look-a-like: Hathaway

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aaargh! Yeah, it's SAVANE, how could I forget. I've literally had nightmares where I'm just picking through rows and rows of pants, then I think I see something that's sure to break the monotony, then it's -- SAVANE. :brick:

Last edited:

tone76

Reaction score
Pant Mining can be very labour-intensive, but it can also be rewarding. The more you do it, the better you get. Sometimes a pair will jump out at you because the fabric is clearly better than those in the immediate area, other times it's back to looking at waistband linings and loops. Oddly enough, there have been times where the only decent item I've taken home from a 2-3 hour thrifting session is a pair of trousers.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I started thrifting I just skipped the pants entirely. It didn't seem worth the effort. Spend a few hours of looking at every pair of pants on the rack and you will gain the experience necessary to do it efficiently. I will look inside the waistband of perhaps one pair in 50. In western Arkansas once I skimmed over about 18 feet of pants rack and only looked inside one pair, a pair of wool twill khaki Oxxford.

I have learned to identify Bill's so I make a little game of it. When I see belt loops which could be Bill's I take a closer look at the pants before looking inside the waistband for labels, and then try to predict whether they are Bill's or not Bill's. By looking at the belt loops and then the buttons you can win that game about 100% of the time if you know what you are looking for.

I first read of Steve's method of identifying Bills a few months back on AAAC, since then I've probably found 20-30 pairs, it's great when you don't really have the time to go through a rack of khakis.

Non-khaki pants are easier for me, as you can pretty quickly tell the good fabric from the bad.

Also, wil someone please explain the appeal of Zanellas to me? do they resell for a ton on ebay or something?

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really excited about this Harvey & Hudson French Cuff shirt. Didn't know much about the brand (have since googled them; they seem alright, nothing special), but the fabric seems nice enough, and I've been looking for a striped, spread collar, french cuffed shirt in my size for awhile now (bonus points that it's European, so it seems to fit a bit slimmer naturally, which is what I want...or that could be my bias creeping in), so I'm happy with it. It looks like the tag was intentionally dotted, but it's in fantastic shape otherwise.

Also found this orphaned Corneliani jacket. It's HUGE (it looks to be 58L on the tag), so not much use to me. I don't know much about it, other than that there's a "Super 100s" tag on the bottom right inside. It seems pretty "meh" over all, though the fabric has a nice "gritty" feel to it that I thought was a bit unique and liked. Anyone who knows more, feel free to fill me in.

Last edited:

rayxlui

Reaction score

This is one of those times that makes me hate that I rarely have the patience to go through pants racks. And on my stomping ground, too! I was going to go for some thrifting later, but if you cleared the city of Isaia, why bother? :sarcasm:

Ohlol, I went out today and picked up another pair of Isaia pants. There's been some really good stuff in the city, just didn't feel them as much. I've seen a lot of Brioni shirts and even pretty new Brioni suit, didn't pick them up cause they didn't fit and don't sell very well. They're all at Thrift Town. Seen a lot of Zanella, Incotex and Zegna's at the SA, go check them out if you want them.

What size are those Isaia trousers?

One of them is tagged (tan) 52 the other is around 54 and the newest is 56. So I think that translates to 36, 38, 40?

Oh yeah, picked up a Comme des Garcon jacket as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads