The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not quite true, sell it on eBay and ship it internationally. There are a lot of people outside of the US only familiar with the brand Ralph Lauren and who doesn't know the difference between the sub-labels.

2. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

Can anyone recommend the best thrift stores in the Northern Virginia or DC? I haven't gone thrifting since I moved here.

3. ArsenalDan

ArsenalDan Senior member

Brunello Cucinelli fine wale corduroys. Tagged 48 (ie, US 32); only the rise is lined, with two different red-stripe patterns. Material is 90% cotton, 10% cashmere. Used, but in very good condition.

:slayer:

4. threeleggeddog

threeleggeddog Senior member

I found probably the best fitting sport coat (corduroy) I've ever tried on. Seriously, the 40 fits as if the coat was made for me (waist is properly suppressed, perfect length/chest/shoulders, high but not unnecessarily high armholes). The jacket is THICK corduroy (which I like), and obviously well constructed. However, I can not find a hint of evidence as to who it's from (which is aggrevating me - anyone know of a brand who manufactures sport coats in Romania and typically features plaid lining?) I doubt it's worth anything to anyone but me, but I'm ok with that.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  5. GHo

GHo Senior member

great looking coat!

6. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

Stopped by a new consignment shop today just for the hell of it and found these.

I believe they are shell. Can anyone confirm?

They are made by Freeman. I've never heard of the company, but they look to be Goodyear Welted and very nice construction.

Any info on these shoes would be much appreciated.

7. SnarlPatrick

SnarlPatrick Senior member

^^Certainly looks like it. Nice punchwork too. Good find.

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

They are Shell. They need some love and shoe trees badly. Rub some leather lotion on them and work with hand to soften the leather a bit before inserting trees. Technically they don't need lotioning but old shell can crack so moisturize and work the leather with your hand until it softens. then insert the trees and leave for at least 2-3 weeks. Also rub the shoes once they are in the trees tro help smooth out the ridges. Do it every day for the full 3 weeks. You should be able to bring them back to life.

9. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Interesting day. I decided to make the rounds, which I haven't done in a long while to try and pick up some t-shirts. For some odd reason, I decided to go to the local Goodwill, which usually has the shittiest stuff. There I was browsing shirts and noticed there was a lady also doing the same. She was really going through it, so I assumed she was a flipper. I guess she also assumed I was a flipper as well, because once she pulled an Armani she turned to me and was like "ha, I found it before you". I was like, eh, cool story bro. The next shirt I pull, a shirt she already passed through was a Kiton. Followed by a Brioni, a Ervell. She passed these for the Armani. I lol'd.

tl;dr: Flipper missed Kiton, Brioni.

Also picked up a pair of shells. Not sure who the maker is, but looked good to me.

First Kiton in the wild. Sadly too big, up for sale/trade along with the shells and Brioni. Both shirts are 16.5, shoes are 10.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Who would have made a suit for dunhill in Spain? Bought a Bitchin suit today...its a 44l. I was going to have it shortened, but I just don't have the heart to...

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Awesome! In some situations you just gotta hope that they aren't as educated as you. Your story shows this actually was the case today.

Deets on the Ervell?

12. threeleggeddog

threeleggeddog Senior member

You've got to love when you go in a thrift shop where you get the attention of 4 sales clerks because you're the first guy they've ever seen looking for ties.

Anyways, here are a few. Nothing too amazing, but great condition for .50-$1.00 ties.

First, a batch of brooks brothers, all in Like New or NWT. I'm probably going to go back and see if I can find some more tomorrow (I only had 5 minutes to find all of these as the store was closing).

[​IMG]

Gvenchy horse tie:
    [​IMG]

A random wool tie that I liked quite a bit, yet know nothing about (Brand: The Regiment Shops of Colorado). A quick google search makes it look like this is probably a custom made wool tie made of nice materials.
    [​IMG]

A "Briar" tie that I didn't know anything about - in retrospect, it seems kind of cheap
    [​IMG]

Another tie I know nothing about, but it seemed pretty well made. J. Pressley of Asheville, N.C. Anyone hear of them?
    [​IMG]

I have no connection to any of these, so if anyone wants one, make an offer.

13. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

nice find in a good size! That's got great trade value you could probably get a nice used suit or some shoes. or ebay it

here's what i got today:

zegna (light blue with gold and bronze striped), ricci, valentino :rolleyes: i dont know why i got that one. and a casual black cotton zara jacket. marked in my size but way to small and slim for me
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Here's a pic of the Ervell, along with a bespoke suit I picked up the other day. It reminded me of the stuff Tom Ford is cranking out nowadays and it's completely handmade.

[​IMG]

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Cool! What size and would you be willing to part with it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.