The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Sounds good to me :)

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Forgotten at the dry cleaners would be my guess. If you don't pick it up after so long, many will sell things in bulk to thrift stores. I've gotten a couple of shirts with the tags still on 'em, and at least one decent jacket.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Huh, never knew this but it makes sense. I just always figured that the rich guys dry cleaned their stuff before giving it to the thrifts as I've had some well-off people donate stuff when I worked at the Salvation Army and they'd always say "These were just dry cleaned, so don't worry. They're clean!". The stuff we find with the cleaners tags is likely a mix of the two situations.

4. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

I know of a few consignment stores that donate if you don't pick up something after it hasn't sold in the allotted time. A lot of the dry cleaners in SF just put a rack out on the street once a month or so. It hasn't yielded anything nice yet—its mostly women's clothes and gaudy English Laundry shirts—but I keep waiting for the day...

5. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I'd better go back and check on the H&S blazer I found at my nearby Goodwill, after this discussion.

6. TheODGuy

TheODGuy Senior member

Some pick-up's this week:

Turnbull & Asser Contrast Collar French Cuff Shirt (15.5)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Loro Piana Cable Knit Cotton Sweater (44) - too large, most likely up for trade
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

8. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    hopefully youre too late pm'd already [​IMG]

9. woolnotmutton

woolnotmutton Senior member

very very nice. They rolling out winter clothing already? :)

10. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

Been a dry last couple weeks. I found a nice Kiton shirt in Cleveland while I was visiting my brother but that's about it. Oh, and today I found these AE Chesters. In pretty good shape and, most importantly, in my size!

[​IMG]

If anyone in the NOVA area is interested, the SA in Manassas has a pair of AE Manchesters size 12 (they need a little care but are in otherwise good condition) and a pair of Florsheim Imperials in size 14 that come with shoe trees. I didn't take pics, sorry. They were there as of 12:00 PM today.

11. ArsenalDan

ArsenalDan Senior member

Turnbull & Asser 3-piece, gray flannel, DB suit, date unknown. It's got some moth holes, but it fits me perfectly, so I had to get it, if just to wear for Halloween at some point. And who knows, maybe I'll see what a re-weaver could do at some point. It's really excellent.

Brown/tan herringbone, half-lined Harris Tweed SC with brown suede elbow patches. It's like new. [won't be keeping this one, it's probably about a 42R]

Beautiful, made-in-the-US "Imperial Haggar" , wool navy blazer with almost-tan brown leather buttons. Another perfect fit.

Also, a nice blackwatch 100% wool shirt from Pendleton that fits nicely. Sizable colllar. Will be a great overshirt.

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Found a couple interesting items today.

- Speakman Anystream showerhead. This thing is built like a tank - heaviest showerhead I've ever seen. $200 retail, I'm gonna use some CLR on it (though it's pretty clean as it is as far as most used showerheads go) and test it out tonight. 64 different spray streams!

http://www.speakmanshowers.com/pub/shop/product/pid/14?opts=&cid=23

- NWT RRL Native American style leather vest. Found this right next to an overpriced and fairly worn Polo RL brown casual leather jacket. For $14, I had to buy it. Probably will be headed to Fleabay unless someone here is interested. Size L. I sure can't pull this off, but I'm sure someone could.

Not pictured:

- Masons British Khaki chinos. Nothing special, just need some nice casual pants for fall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

IF YOU LIST THEM, THEY WILL BID

[​IMG]

14. mainy

mainy Senior member

I bet that RRL vest goes for big money on ebay

15. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

This is the first thing that I have found that is worth buying in a long time. There must be something about leather today. I can't see any markings of a brand or maker anywhere, but this bag is pretty nice, and i think it will only get better with time. This is fresh out of Savers just dusted off. Cant wait to see it once I get some Lexol on it.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.