• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

Here's an interesting find...

Manuel Martinez has been discussed here as one of the top tailors in the country. The blazer is very nice (and huge on me - my initial hunch is that it would measure out to be a 44R). Update, I measured this and my initial guess wasn't too far off. The chest is 23.5" p-p. boc is 32.5". shoulders are 19"

I also found this thing (I never should have bought this...the store was getting ready to close, it was cheap, so I grabbed it).

It's a super casual varvatos star usa blazer. Note the shortening of the sleeves. It looks like this originally had functional cuffs that were sewn shut in order to shorten the sleeves. Anyways, if anyone is interested, you can have it for $6.50 + shipping (exactly what I paid). If not, it's a new painting jacket.

Also, does anyone have any idea what I should price that Martinez jacket at? I am a little clueless what these types of bespoke jackets go for (martinez probably charged >$2500 for this when he made it, but a lot of that reflects the fit).

jadough

Reaction score
what size/ measurements on the varvatos blazer? price? and could I see a better pic hard to get the overall look there
thanks

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Amazing finds. That dinner jacket is mind blowing! :slayer:

Threeleggedlog:

The jacket is in pristine condition, no moth holes or rip. It has the unmistakable smell of vintage cloths, ie storage. Needs some pressing on the left sleeve and it should be ready to go. I'm still looking for the pants for the last month at the same store :fu: Fortunately I have another vintage tuxedo, and the pants' fabric closely matches this jacket.

83glt:

The buttonhole in the lapel is definitely awesome handwork, but then again the whole thing is made by hand back in the 1938 :) I tried googling the name of the tailor but nothing came up, the address is definitely Rome. As for selling/trading it, even though it's a bit short on me (I'm 40R), I'd like to keep this jacket for now, just because I see it more like a piece of art that anything else, and grosgrain lapel? Satin is nothing next to it :slayer:

Speaking of grosgrain, my tailor recently informed me that there are no mills that make them anymore, so they're a hard to come by.

That type of find is simply awe-inspiring. I don't care what people will say here, but vintage quality like that is unmatched by all but the very very best bespoke tailors. Kiton/Brioni, etc. might as well be "Rooster" in comparison. The best part about these items, and they are out there - arguably in greater numbers than the big RTW brands - is that thrift store staff don't see a "Laruen" or "Hilfiger" tag and price these bespoke gems as if they're no-name garbage. The finest tailored garments in my closet were without exception the cheapest on the thrift store racks. LUV IT! The earliest piece I have is that 1967 DB flannel Helman suit. To think that you found this piece of nearly 30 years older in pristine condition is just amazing. Just b/c we haven't heard of Sr. Terreri doesn't mean he didn't produce fine clothing. Back in those days, traditional tailoring was a profession much more common than it is today. It's a shame it's been largely lost, and artifacts like these are all we have to connect us to that history and tradition. Anyway, it appears to be an outstanding find. My congratulations. I know that I have several items that are of similar quality, and in your size, that might interest you should you decide to trade. I have plenty of bespoke, both from Savile Row and continental.

Ok, thats it, Im going to my spot today.....Ive given up on this, but there seems to be universal luck....

Antirabbit - I was where you are earlier this year. I had completely stopped going and was just convinced that it was over. Eventually I started trying here and there again, and lately it's been just gangbusters ... not the best hauls I've found for sure, but more rewarding quantitatively perhaps. Today for example a quick stop produced two dress shirts - Barba and my first ever Finamore. It seems like these days I always find something, even if just a tie or a cool cassette tape. It never used to be like that. Good luck.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

what size/ measurements on the varvatos blazer? price? and could I see a better pic hard to get the overall look there
thanks

I'd say it's a 44R with sleeves shortened to work for a 44S. Obviously I'm not going to spend a ton of time trying to sell this as I'm not making any profit, and it didn't really do any damage to my wallet, but if you want some more detailed measurements, I'll post them tonight.

jadough

Reaction score

I'd say it's a 44R with sleeves shortened to work for a 44S. Obviously I'm not going to spend a ton of time trying to sell this as I'm not making any profit, and it didn't really do any damage to my wallet, but if you want some more detailed measurements, I'll post them tonight.

Can you just get me length and pit to pit?

thanks

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

Ran into this deal at an indoor flea market and the booth owner said if I was interested she would reduce the price to $7.00. Guess I could not pass it up since it was my size and plus I did not even have to buy a new set of shoe trees after all..
I f-ing love the fact that she was selling $7 shoes with shoe trees. I've never had any luck with shoes - I'm an 11D/E which seems uncommonly large for thrift for some reason. Anyone else have this experience?

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear lord, you got those for the price of the trees alone. Nice pickup.

Ran into this deal at an indoor flea market and the booth owner said if I was interested she would reduce the price to $7.00. Guess I could not pass it up since it was my size and plus I did not even have to buy a new set of shoe trees after all..

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell ^ and a beautiful colour on them too. Also my size. Nice find!

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DsG0w.jpg

QNL9J.jpg

+

PeAWq.jpg

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaaaaaaa....

Well, whatevs. Been wanting these for a long time...and I can mark off two slots on my ever-shortening list. Saves me ~$150 for the hardback...Woo!

Last edited:

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
DsG0w.jpg

QNL9J.jpg

+

PeAWq.jpg

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaaaaaaa....

Well, whatevs. Been wanting these for a long time...and I can mark off two slots on my ever-shortening list. Saves me ~$125 for the hardback...Woo!

is that a first edition or something?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:embar: Nah, it's a $150 book I didn't want to pay $150 for. But it's reportedly one of the ten best books about film, ever. This thread has inspired me to scour the other sections, and it's been working-out-ish. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads