The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011

2. Juba

Juba Member

I never thought that thrift stores were places to find quality products, but this thread made me reconsider. I stopped by Goodwill on Saturday and found a Sport Coat that looked fairly new. I bought it for under six dollars. It says some about it being made by American Craftsmen or something.

And today, I stopped by and picked up a book (The Da Vinci Code) for $1.99 and a Tea/Coffee cup (China) for under a dollar. I just didn't want to walk out empty handed.

I've been a fan of this forum for quite some time now.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

It does indeed get abused, especially on eBay. I can usually tell if something has never been worn. Usually if the tags are crisp with no folding, fraying or text wear from washing/pressing and it still has the folds on the cuffs and collar where you can tell it hasn't been worn.

4. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

Get over this urge. Now. You will waste a lot of money this way.

Wash-wear on the tags is almost always the quickest tip off, for me. And for shirts, it's cuff and collar edges. The tips of the points of collars go especially fast, even when the rest of the shirt looks new or near new.

Speaking of which, what's y'all's limit on visible wear when you're buying something to flip? I passed on a Brioni dress shirt the other day that had very slight fraying on the curves of the cuffs. It was in good condition otherwise, but I've got a backlog of stuff to flip, so I didn't really want to add to the pile if it wasn't really worth it.

5. DenimDan

DenimDan Well-Known Member

Found 2 pairs of Sheppard-Hanover Cordovan PTBs today :D

6. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

7. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

Nice I found a small pair a couple of years ago! Ended up selling them to somebody in Japan via Ebay.

8. hmmurdock

hmmurdock Senior member

Nice...as scary as it sounds I have three pairs myself. One that actually fits and the other two I have been too lazy to flip. Nothing fits as well as shell.

9. blownauratone

blownauratone Member

You better believe it! :) No such luck.

10. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Had a miracle thrift today. Found a very nice, recent HF jacket, obviously orphaned. Scanned through the pants and, boom, found 'em. Very pleased. In the process, I fucked over one of those pro type flippers that just buys anything with a label. Also found a pair of Ferragamo loafers and a Polo sport tweedish sport jacket. Pictures forthcoming.

11. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

It's almost as bad as "vintage" which gets used to describe anything old. I don't even know what vintage means anymore because it gets used so often.

12. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

This. I have seen way too much "vintage" (aka crappy smelly old) on eBay.

13. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Thinking about selling some vintage milk on eBay (expired 7/10/10). Oh wait, should I put this on the "What I'm Selling on eBay" thread?

14. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Not so fast... One dry-cleaning of a sportcoat will make a brand new tag look like it's been worn in battle. A brand new sportcoat could be worn out once and taken to the cleaner and the tag will look like it's been worn 1000 times. I consider how the tag looks after looking at several other factors.

15. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

How often is an absolutely brand new item separated from its tags? I'm sure it happens, occasionally. But I'm willing to hazard a guess that upwards of 99% of items marked BNWOT on eBay are either: (1) not BNWOT or (2) slightly damaged, "new" items (purchased from like TJ Maxx or something along those lines) that have had their tags removed by the maker/retailer on purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.