Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Nice Oxxford suit today. I find a fair amount of Oxxford. but NEVER in my size. Personally, I'd rather find an Oxxford, in my size, than a Kiton. If anyone's interested, let me know before it heads to B&S. Tagged a 44T.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And what is most likely a fairly recent orphaned Brioni navy suit jacket. Needs gold buttons to become a fairly recent Brioni navy blazer. :nodding: Measures to about a 40-41 L.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I am with you on the Oxxford. I have never found a brand which I rated higher.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

PM sent. I'm interested in the Steven Alan too. Nice finds, btw!

4. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's an impressively wearable Oxxford. Most that I've found has such retrograde styling that despite the spectacular quality, I just can't wear it.

That said: I'm a sucker for the half-waistband pants. I have my tailor make my pants after some old Oxxford for A&F ones that I bought on eBay.

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Really? Walking in to donate, then finding about four recent Oxxford suits was what got me into this whole mess. They're definitely the most common quality brand I find, and usually pretty OK-looking. I'll have to start snapping some pics for people instead of just leaving them behind.

@Nataku: TB and Band of Outsiders - isn't that slightly mindblowing? How does that happen?

@silverwarebandit: Nice! I especially like the pants.
    :fistbump:

[​IMG]

EDIT: Also found my first Glenaden shirt (for 1 Like No Other). I remember these were made in Ireland, sometimes for Thomas Pink, which is kinda neat. I plan on transforming a mall shirt with these two-tone MOP buttons. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

6. MXERPAC

MXERPAC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6 stores and this is all I find other than Van Heusen and other shit.

Are most of you thrifting in a downtown area?

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

In the past 6 or so years, I've only found one notable Oxxford suit that I liked. Most of the others (even recent models) have that distinctive fish-mouth lapel design that I personally hate. It looks so dated to me, but some guys love it. Just one of those things, I guess - like I love skinny lapels and some guys hate them.

Not sure really. I'm still pinching myself on the Thom Browne. I wish it fit me, I've been wanting a TB shirt for ages. Keep missing ones in my size on eBay. What's the scoop on the 1 like no other shirts? I've bought a few but there seems to be no market for them on here or fleabay so I pass them up now. I assumed they were quite expensive.

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I really don't know; I hadn't heard of them until today. It looks they make limited, 500 piece runs for each item they sell. The stripey shirts retail for about...$240 US (sometimes discounted to half that on their site).

http://1likenoother.tumblr.com/website

http://tinyurl.com/454h9z4

Glenaden, who made some of their shirts, sounds very interesting, but is now dust, another victim of outsourcing:

Hmmm...I may have to rethink just scavenging it for the buttons.

I say you keep the Thom Browne and just hope it changes size. That or let me know when it's on eBay! ;)

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I found two at a thrift shop (separate occasions) and one at a garage sale this year. Yeah, I'm afraid I won't get much thinner than I am now so the TB will likely be for sale by Sunday.

10. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

No clothes as usual today, but did get a stack of Calvin and Hobbes books for 50 cents apiece. One of the best comics of all time (and perfect for the john).

[​IMG]

11. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

12. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

That birdseye pattern leads me to believe that it an orphan suit jacket. Did you look for the trousers in the other parts of the store?

13. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

I found this jacket a couple weeks ago,. It's a nice jacket and clearly relatively old. I poked around for men named "John. W. Blodgett, Jr." with Eugene, OR connections (location where the jacket was found) and I came across this listing in the University of Michigan Archive:

Family of Delos A. Blodgett, his son John W. Blodgett, and his grandson John W. Blodgett, Jr., residents of Grand Rapids, Michigan and owners of a series of logging companies active in Michigan, Mississippi, California, Oregon, and Vancouver Island. Correspondence, journals, cash books, ledgers, and maps of family businesses, including the Blodgett Company, Wright-Blodgett Company, Michigan-California Lumber Company, Michigan Timber Company, Hill-Davis Company, and Tidewater Timber Company; also personal correspondence and photographs.

Interesting, and I'm inclined to believe that this jacket was, indeed, owned by the above Blodgett Jr. Anyway, I've included some pictures below. Does anyone know who made BB stuff in Denmark? I've never run across any BB item made in Denmark. Cool jacket, doesn't fit me at all though.

http://ghostelephants.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/bb2.jpg[img]
    [img]http://ghostelephants.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/bb1.jpg

14. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I love Calvin and Hobbes :inlove:

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Another reason why this thread is by far my fav. thread in the entire forum. Not only do you get to see some awesome thift finds by fellow members, but you pick up some tidbits of info that help with your own thrifting experience. Flipping though pants this morning and these caught my eye. Would usually pass them over at $10 [​IMG] but they were my, almost impossible to find in thrift store, size (29/30 waist) and figured worst case I can flip them for a few bucks. Should I keep them?

PS - Assuming they are real, how can you tell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.