1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattR

MattR Senior member

Re: AE and width issues

Same here. I found I actually drop a half size in length and width, although I have some AE where the D width is great and others where it seems stretched. It might also be the nature of used shoes stretching out the width if someone grabs the wrong pair.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Can't believe this tie sold for more than the Hermes I sold a few weeks ago.

3. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Stopped in at GW on Friday since the 50% off color tag was changing, did not find any 50% off but did get these:

7 for all Mankind denim. They were in the "Better quality" section with a pair of womens 7 right next to them. No tag, but seemed to have not been washed. Ran through the washer, fit is great, really nice material. The tag was dated 1/05 so they were put out the day before.

Also found another Alexandre of London Harris Tweed jacket in great shape, more of a brown hue but it was probably a 48R so I left it behind. Before I left the store went back to check suits again since they were stocking more stuff and the jacket was gone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

Went at lunch... Nada. Anyone ever heard of Issimo? Saw a suit jacket with that tag and a "Made in Italy" tag that seemed pretty well made. No garment tags inside or content tags.

Also, Brooksfield Linea Oro? Decently made sportcoat with nice fabric with this tag, but I didn't know anything about it.

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Hrm, for $80, I could trick out these vintage light golden brown longwings with those ridiculous 2" white crepe soles you see on the #menswear circuit these days. Speak now, or refuse to laugh at my WAYWRN. :foo:

(I'm also about to dye some old Doc boots black and paint the sole an off white sneaker-ish color, though I already know this a bad idea)

Anyone else enjoy modding their thrift finds?

6. tben

tben Senior member

Hit the Maxx today and picked up this scarf. I don't know much about the brand but it was a really quality item. Also, the Maxx employees were beginning to mark down clearance items. PRL cashmere sweaters went from $99 to $69, Oxxford pants went from $99 to $59, Dior scarves and ties went from $64 to $49 and there were some other mark downs as well. Just a heads up!
    [​IMG]

7. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

^ Very nice find. That is indeed a quality item. How much did you end up paying for it, if you don't mind me asking??

8. Jorgeezy

Jorgeezy Senior member

Sex sells!

9. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

4 Rembrandt etchings, $600 each. No idea if they were real, but they all sold in less than a day.

[​IMG]

10. Hoofit

Hoofit Senior member

No Rembrandts here, however I did come across a very nice Burberry dress shirt in white with french cuffs. Thickest MOP buttons I have ever seen. 16 33 crappy cell pics PM if interested.
    [​IMG]

11. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    I waited for the guy to mark it down before I picked it up, it ended up being $10 even.

12. RebelWithACause

RebelWithACause Senior member

Just saw something on PAWN stars about those rembrandt etchings. He did about 300 of them. However, after about 100 prints, the plates that are used become worthless, because they have been modified due to wear and tear.

13. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I saw the same episode. Great show.

14. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

I've done this from time to time. Found a pair of Florsheim Imperial Longwings several months ago that were in pretty good shape to begin with. But since I have several pairs of shoes in the same shade decide to take them in and add a half lug sole to them for the hell of it. I figured an $8 shoe with a $60 resole was still a better quality shoe than I could get for $68 new these days. Plus they have a lot more character.

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

:slayer:

16. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I saw a Johnstons scarf at the TJ Maxx here in Albuquerque and it was $32.

17. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

You reminded me of something that makes the larger sizes fit. I usually try to select shoes in nearly new condition so the footbeds are not usually crushed out of usable condition but I DO use aftermarket insoles. When the shoe is too big, I enjoy gellin' like a felon! They take up the slack AND make the shoes a bit more comfortable on the soles of my feet.

18. orchestrion

orchestrion Active Member

A few good things this evening. First I found a staple shirt in my size. Then I found a pretty awesome suit by The Men's Store for Sears. It fits me save the tailoring that shortened the sleeves and pants. The pattern is very hard to describe...once my camera battery finishes charging I will upload pictures and let you guys take a look. It might be atrocious. It might be awesome. Either way, I couldn't resist.

I also found some Zanella pants in gray. Size 33 waist and the inseam, at first measure, is 32 inches. They have some interesting pleats on them as well. There was a navy pair that I left because they had a very small but "disturbing" stain on the leg and I didn't know if it would come out. Again, I'll upload some pictures as soon as I can. The pants are available if anyone's interested.

19. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Here's one for all your Marshalls experts: Do the yellow tags really mean final sale? I'm waiting for a few things to be marked down a bit more, but I was told by a sales duder that if the tag is yellow, that's as far as it will go. True?

20. orchestrion

orchestrion Active Member

I also found (and left) a three-button, single vent Harris Tweed sport coat in 40L. I can't remember the exact brand, but it was really heavy--heavier than any Harris Tweed I've found. The only odd thing was the fact that it only has one cuff button on each sleeve. If anyone is interested I can go back tomorrow and see if it's still there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.