The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insurance man

Insurance man Member

The Holland And Sherry has got to be my fav.

2. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Today 2 very recent Oxxford sportcoats, both 46R so too big for me. The first is 100% camel hair in a tweedy herringbone pattern, the second is 100% cashmere birdseye flannel from Oxxford's Archive Collection. They'll be for sale.

On a sad note, I got that Henry Poole ivory dinner jacket back from the cleaners. I normally wear a 38 R/S and this jacket measures much closer to a 40R. If it were OTR it would definitely be tagged a 40R. So even though to make it fit all I'd need is to have the sleeves and length shortened, and perhaps have it brought in a touch at the shoulders/back (which by the way my tailor says would be very easy and affordable), I've decided that my tailor must be crazy and that I should listen to Lintman because jackets can't be tailored down by one size, EVER according to Lintman, and I'm just going to get rid of it. Sad really. What a shame jackets can't be tailored - EVER. :tounge:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^^Those Oxxfords sound beautiful. :laugh: about the Poole scenario.

!

Awesome haul, Alan! I love it when that happens all in one stop!

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Sure sounds like there have been some awesome hauls recently! [​IMG] Picked up 3 more things today. Women's Christian Dior Size 10 posted above, a BB Camel Hair 44R and a Zegna yellow shirt 2XL (but fits like a large).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

PS - If anyone thrifts midget stuff (36S,14.5-32 slim dress shirts, or "Small" Polo's) PM me ASAP [​IMG]

5. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    Holland and Sherry ties are worth anything?? i've seen a bunch and always left them

6. Insurance man

Insurance man Member

Not really but out of the three shown I liked the pattern the best.

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I just needed a purple tie for Baltimore Ravens event days.

8. 83glt

83glt Senior member

+1 It's really nice to see this thread getting back on track in a big way.

9. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

Been a bit too busy to thrift much lately, and quick stops after work have yielded zilch but a beater Zara corduroy SC that'll be nice come Winter. But today!

First thing I laid my hand on in the first store I went to today: an old but not dated (or come-full-circle, rather?) Brioni SB peak lapel khaki suit. It fit wonderfully, if it was a little stiff from hanging in a closet for too long. :happy:

Then I see the noticeable pinhole right on the right chest, and a wood-varnish stain where the pants were folded over a hanger for decades. :angry:

Then a lavender Brioni for Wilkes shirt in great condition. :happy: Except for the frayed cuff corners. :angry:

Then a beautiful Canali houndstooth three piece, once of the nicest Canali's I've seen. :happy: WIth a giant stain on the lapel and vest. :angry:

Then two nice Turbull & Asser striped shirts with 15.5 collars, my size. :happy: That fit like 14.5 everywhere else. :angry: Excellent fit on the torso, but the shoulder seams were over an inch from the curve of my shoulder! When was T&A ever ultra-slim fit?!

Some days...

10. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

so i went back to snag the stuff i left behind yesterday since today was 1/2 off day there today. that corneliani tux i found is NWOT, but all of the tags are in the breast pocket! Also found a MINT very recent Burberry sport coat, Hickey Freeman/Loro Piana super 120s suit, NWOT HSM Gold Trumpeter VERY RECENT sport coat. Also snagged a NWOT but vents and pockets still sewn shut linen saks house brand sport coat in black, and a NWT vineyard vines tie, light green with the dollar, euro, and yen symbols on it. Looks to have been made for a company as an advertizing item or something. Also found a MINT massimo bizzocchi tie.

11. gdwy89

gdwy89 Well-Known Member

Ah yes. Something new to put on my thrift-wish-list.

I'm 99% certain that I've not only seen a photo of that tie before, but that it was in this thread (if anyone can find the post I'm talking about within the 1100+ I'll be shocked/impressed).

Nothing noteworthy on my end, however. Some burgundy Bass Weejuns will fill a hole in my shoe collection, but nothing else since my Kicking Mule Workshop jeans a couple of weeks ago. Consequently, I'm anxiously awaiting pictures of AlanC's score for inspiration.

12. amadar

amadar Senior member

I found this exact tie a few months back. NWT. I liked it, but let it go as it was a little too wide for me (pushing 4").

^^^and yes that was my sales thread that you saw it in :happy:

13. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Found a mint RLPL staple blue/white striped shirt (m), a pair of close-to-new AE Graysons (10EEE), and a NWT RPL crew sweater today.

14. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Congrats on the haul! I need a haul like that. I've been in the same funk.

15. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

I finally scored a few decent things today.

-Ferragamo tie w/ asian silk weavers motif
    -Thomas Pink tie
    -Talbott BOC tie
    -3 NWT J.Crew OCBD's in my size
    -Seven For All Mankind jeans in my size
    -Levi's 514 cords

I passed on a Harold Powell suit that was beautiful. Wool/Cashmere blend, ticket pocket, subtle pick stitching throughout. The jacket fit great but the pants had double reverse pleats and though I appreciate them on some folks, they look horrid on me.

Also had a heartbreaking encounter with some Adriano Goldschmied jeans. The store got the waist/inseam measurements backwards. 36/32's will fit me great, 32/36's will not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.