Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insurance man

Insurance man Member

The Holland And Sherry has got to be my fav.

2. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Today 2 very recent Oxxford sportcoats, both 46R so too big for me. The first is 100% camel hair in a tweedy herringbone pattern, the second is 100% cashmere birdseye flannel from Oxxford's Archive Collection. They'll be for sale.

On a sad note, I got that Henry Poole ivory dinner jacket back from the cleaners. I normally wear a 38 R/S and this jacket measures much closer to a 40R. If it were OTR it would definitely be tagged a 40R. So even though to make it fit all I'd need is to have the sleeves and length shortened, and perhaps have it brought in a touch at the shoulders/back (which by the way my tailor says would be very easy and affordable), I've decided that my tailor must be crazy and that I should listen to Lintman because jackets can't be tailored down by one size, EVER according to Lintman, and I'm just going to get rid of it. Sad really. What a shame jackets can't be tailored - EVER. :tounge:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^^Those Oxxfords sound beautiful. :laugh: about the Poole scenario.

!

Awesome haul, Alan! I love it when that happens all in one stop!

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Sure sounds like there have been some awesome hauls recently! [​IMG] Picked up 3 more things today. Women's Christian Dior Size 10 posted above, a BB Camel Hair 44R and a Zegna yellow shirt 2XL (but fits like a large).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

PS - If anyone thrifts midget stuff (36S,14.5-32 slim dress shirts, or "Small" Polo's) PM me ASAP [​IMG]

5. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    Holland and Sherry ties are worth anything?? i've seen a bunch and always left them

6. Insurance man

Insurance man Member

Not really but out of the three shown I liked the pattern the best.

7. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I just needed a purple tie for Baltimore Ravens event days.

8. 83glt

83glt Senior member

+1 It's really nice to see this thread getting back on track in a big way.

9. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

Been a bit too busy to thrift much lately, and quick stops after work have yielded zilch but a beater Zara corduroy SC that'll be nice come Winter. But today!

First thing I laid my hand on in the first store I went to today: an old but not dated (or come-full-circle, rather?) Brioni SB peak lapel khaki suit. It fit wonderfully, if it was a little stiff from hanging in a closet for too long. :happy:

Then I see the noticeable pinhole right on the right chest, and a wood-varnish stain where the pants were folded over a hanger for decades. :angry:

Then a lavender Brioni for Wilkes shirt in great condition. :happy: Except for the frayed cuff corners. :angry:

Then a beautiful Canali houndstooth three piece, once of the nicest Canali's I've seen. :happy: WIth a giant stain on the lapel and vest. :angry:

Then two nice Turbull & Asser striped shirts with 15.5 collars, my size. :happy: That fit like 14.5 everywhere else. :angry: Excellent fit on the torso, but the shoulder seams were over an inch from the curve of my shoulder! When was T&A ever ultra-slim fit?!

Some days...

10. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

so i went back to snag the stuff i left behind yesterday since today was 1/2 off day there today. that corneliani tux i found is NWOT, but all of the tags are in the breast pocket! Also found a MINT very recent Burberry sport coat, Hickey Freeman/Loro Piana super 120s suit, NWOT HSM Gold Trumpeter VERY RECENT sport coat. Also snagged a NWOT but vents and pockets still sewn shut linen saks house brand sport coat in black, and a NWT vineyard vines tie, light green with the dollar, euro, and yen symbols on it. Looks to have been made for a company as an advertizing item or something. Also found a MINT massimo bizzocchi tie.

11. gdwy89

gdwy89 Well-Known Member

Ah yes. Something new to put on my thrift-wish-list.

I'm 99% certain that I've not only seen a photo of that tie before, but that it was in this thread (if anyone can find the post I'm talking about within the 1100+ I'll be shocked/impressed).

Nothing noteworthy on my end, however. Some burgundy Bass Weejuns will fill a hole in my shoe collection, but nothing else since my Kicking Mule Workshop jeans a couple of weeks ago. Consequently, I'm anxiously awaiting pictures of AlanC's score for inspiration.

12. amadar

amadar Senior member

I found this exact tie a few months back. NWT. I liked it, but let it go as it was a little too wide for me (pushing 4").

^^^and yes that was my sales thread that you saw it in :happy:

13. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Found a mint RLPL staple blue/white striped shirt (m), a pair of close-to-new AE Graysons (10EEE), and a NWT RPL crew sweater today.

14. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Congrats on the haul! I need a haul like that. I've been in the same funk.

15. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

I finally scored a few decent things today.

-Ferragamo tie w/ asian silk weavers motif
    -Thomas Pink tie
    -Talbott BOC tie
    -3 NWT J.Crew OCBD's in my size
    -Seven For All Mankind jeans in my size
    -Levi's 514 cords

I passed on a Harold Powell suit that was beautiful. Wool/Cashmere blend, ticket pocket, subtle pick stitching throughout. The jacket fit great but the pants had double reverse pleats and though I appreciate them on some folks, they look horrid on me.

Also had a heartbreaking encounter with some Adriano Goldschmied jeans. The store got the waist/inseam measurements backwards. 36/32's will fit me great, 32/36's will not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.