• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

The only time I went to a warehouse sale was on the second to last day. The only items that were left were XXXL, purple, damaged,...

I suppose that will help me sleep at night a bit :D.

Only problem with the B&M store in ATL is that it's a Co-Op (aka it's good for jeans and sport shirts exclusively, at least for me). I really wish there was a way to get the quality stuff stocked by Barney's anywhere around here. Literally the only way I found anything like "Drakes for Barney's" or "Brioni for Barney's," etc was at FB. Nothing in the way of good ties, SCs, shoes, etc at the Co-Op. Pretty defeating...

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, my wife mentioned this to me last night and said "Don't you feel bad that we don't live near a Barneys?". I told her "I've heard so much about them and nothing has ever been good. I don't think we're missing much.

Had an ok day today. Passed on a ton of nice Polo RL shirts/sweaters/ties, including a hand-knit angora sweater. It was pretty big (XXL). Also passed on a bunch of recent Paul Stuart sea island cotton shirts. They were 18x35.

- Recent Paul Stuart blue/white stripe dress shirt 16.5x35
- RLPL tan flannel shirt. Lg
- Vilebrequin seafoam linen shirt. M
- Napapijiri wool/corduroy winter jacket
- D/B Brioni suit. Navy w/ dark red stripes. 6/2 button.
- NWOT Fred Perry burgandy cashmere sweater. V-neck. XL
- NWOT vintage Sulka tie
- NWOT Polo RL Custom Fit Madras B/D shirt. 15.5

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Today was my best single store haul ever. I'll try to have pics tomorrow. 

In the meantime, anyone know a maker on this? It has no maker or store tags. 

6314f082-09f7-eebb.jpg

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fun things today!

This is why you check the other sections regularly! Jack Georges brief. Excellent condition.

041956a8.jpg

89fb3704.jpg

If you believe Botany 500 was always a crap line, you've never seen the Botany 500 the "Mad Men" were wearing. This must be 50 to 55 years old and in mint condition. Its the old Botany 500 tailored by Daroff and it is gorgeous and SLIM. Wish it would fit, but I'm no John Hamm.

533bf0b3.jpg

5bbb5bb7.jpg

fca5aa84.jpg

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Okay, here's the haul (I think I've remembered everything; it's all at home right now). I was in a part of town I never go to in order to attend a funeral. My iPhone told me there was a nearby thrift I'd never visited. I tracked it down after the funeral. I found the shirts grouped together first, and was pretty excited by just that. Most of this stuff will fit me.

2 Venanzi suits
1 Saint Andrews suit
1 Venanzi sportcoat
1 Canali sportcoat
1 "made in Italy" sportcoat of high quality (has the label I attached above)

2 Venanzi shirts
2 Ben Silver linen shirts
1 Paul Stuart linen shirt
1 Thomas Pink linen shirt

1 Paul Stuart plaid linen/silk/wool Harrington jacket (made in England)
1 Paul Stuart rain jacket (made in Italy)

1 Orvis navy Harrington (not from the same donor as the other stuff)

I left an Oxxford suit coat I couldn't match to any trousers (frustrating) and a pair of Paul Stuart cords with stains.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, here's the haul (I think I've remembered everything; it's all at home right now). I was in a part of town I never go to in order to attend a funeral. My iPhone told me there was a nearby thrift I'd never visited. I tracked it down after the funeral. I found the shirts grouped together first, and was pretty excited by just that. Most of this stuff will fit me.

2 Venanzi suits
1 Saint Andrews suit
1 Venanzi sportcoat
1 Canali sportcoat
1 "made in Italy" sportcoat of high quality (has the label I attached above)

2 Venanzi shirts
2 Ben Silver linen shirts
1 Paul Stuart linen shirt
1 Thomas Pink linen shirt

1 Paul Stuart plaid linen/silk/wool Harrington jacket (made in England)
1 Paul Stuart rain jacket (made in Italy)

1 Orvis navy Harrington (not from the same donor as the other stuff)

I left an Oxxford suit coat I couldn't match to any trousers (frustrating) and a pair of Paul Stuart cords with stains.

You find this in the metro? St. Andrews is such a weird find for around here, the Venanzi stuff makes more sense since Rick's was unloading so much of it... but wow! I'm guessing everything was fairly priced if it was a small store as well... even better :nodding:

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Yes, in the metro. I paid around $85 for everything.

In my euphoria I stopped by two more stores on the way home, but only came away with two snow sleds for my daughters.

By the way, speaking of inspiration, I had been in a thrifting funk for months. This was very much needed.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
S91k7.jpg

Stopped by at lunch today and found a very cool, M65-ish cotton and metal blazer from Zara. Too big, but I might try and have the chest taken in, since it was basically free...

EDIT: Also grabbed some very nice NWT RRL navy pants, 32x32, but they have kind of raised patch that hits at the knee and wouldn't look right if I got them hemmed. I'm also too lazy for B&S at the moment. So, if anyone who wears a 32x32 wants to trade me something cool in a 32 or 33 waist, pls give me shout...
:spam:

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...This is why you check the other sections regularly! ...

I always check the women's blazer rack in GW and never fail to find two or three misplaced men's sportcoats. Today I found a dark navy BB "Brooksease" 3 button that had a very soft hand but it was a 42R and alas, I'm a 40S in their stuff. Since I was in the neighborhood, I also checked out the women's scarf rack and found these. Wednesday is senior citizen day so I get teh discountz.

P8170018.jpg
P8170019.jpg

I'm not married to any of them if anyone sees something they like but I figure I can make the copper Ferragamo work and the purple H & S can be worn on "Purple Friday". The pink Ferragamo is just cool because of its pinkness. I also found a striped Holland & Sherry (first H&S garment spotted in the wild for those of you keeping score) dress shirt but the neck was in the 17's and the pits were yellowed. Meh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads