• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of famous people, I found someone's custom tailored sportcoat collection at a local thrift the other day. Guy's name was Patrick Williams, I think....kinda drawing a blank on the last name. Guy was huge or just liked his jackets huge. Must have been at least 7' tall. Some of his jackets looked like they were intentionally long, too. Must have been a basketball player. All were pretty gaudy but were very well made. All were made by Adrian Jules.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that's all that needs to be said on the matter. But, I will add that it's not as drastic an alteration as Lintman is making out. Perhaps with some better more detailed photos we'd all be able to reach a consensus on how the suit looks on the OP. I've spent more than $70 in just having working button holes added, so to spend the same amount to have those alterations done that OP listed isn't bad IMO. Besides, no 42Rs or 44Ls are going to be EXACTLY alike - hence bespoke tailoring. So to say that it can NEVER be done is not fair. I would agree that generally speaking it should be avoided, but would not go so far as to say it's impossible or can NEVER be done. Anyway, I don't really want to get into this. Both sides have had their say and the OP can make up his own mind..

Nobody said it couldn't be done. I specifically stated it is a waste of money, which it is...er, was.
A man that wears a 42R is physically and noticeably much smaller than a man who wears a 44L. What I stated are plain facts.
Perhaps what the OP on this matter should have done, was ask for or be encouraged to start a seperate alterations thread.
I can see how this mix-up happened as he posted his excitement of finding, what he thought was, a nice suit. in this Thrift Store thread, and those who responded were happy to see that he was happy with his purchase. In his excitement, the OP (MGeese) now became un-focused and de-railed a little by switching the topic to alterations. As this thread is a focus on the finding of a 'good deal' and not an alterations thread, no one looked closely enough to study the feasability of embarking on alterations project or perhaps the OP failed to mention it. Then again, no one in this specific thread was required to spot it anyway. Perhaps in future we should all be a little more watchful; that should anyone digress beyond the thrill of the catch and get into questions of maintenance or alterations, that they be encouraged to start a new thread. I am sure you'll all agree that would be more beneficial to others as well, lest such advice become buried in an ocean if thrifts store finds.
Peace :)

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Some additional items from my "jackpot" $170 thrifting day yesterday. Still working on pictures of all the suits and more blazers. But got some ties and more shirts to share. Zegna tie is for sale and been posted in the Tie MEGATHREAD, everything else has been posted in the Shirt MEGATHREAD
spam[1].gif

Brioni, 2 Zegnas, 1 Hickey Freeman, 1 Charles Tyrwhitt shirt and 3 Brooks Brothers, . 2 Charles Tyrwhitt Ties, 1 NWT Zegna Tie, 1 Brooks Brothers Tie

2 Zegna Shirts, 3 Brooks Brothers Shirts, 1 Hickey Freeman Shirt, 1 Charles Tyrwhitt Shirt and 1 Brioni Shirt

Last edited:

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"dog house" and "male chauvinist pig" ties...

c6e4d122-1ad1-22e0.jpg

...with secret linings:

c6e4d122-1b19-4842.jpg

I have to admit I'm totally jealous of the chauvinist pig ties. I've kinda had my eye out for one of those. For sale?

TheODGuy

Reaction score
Another great week thrifting. I guess you can call this a Brioni type of day....

Older Zegna Polo
772a1bca.jpg

c09791b8.jpg

Robert Talbott BOC Tie
b4bf27d1.jpg

4 Brioni Ties
4f3bbb63.jpg

3d55ffc4.jpg

2 Brioni Shirts
13d5a7b1.jpg

3cc65ae2.jpg

1 Brioni Marmolada Jeans/Pants
25ea9ff4.jpg

91998b40.jpg

Brioni Group Shot....
f97c88a5.jpg

All cost me under 50 bucks. Not too shabby, huh? :slayer:

Last edited:

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Another great week thrifting. I guess you can call this a Brioni type of day....
All cost me under 50 bucks. Not too shabby, huh? :slayer:

Yes, though of all of it, I would only consider the ecru shirt particularly wearable today. Very, very 90s. Still valuable to brand whores on eBay, though, and still a great score.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, though of all of it, I would only consider the ecru shirt particularly wearable today. Very, very 90s. Still valuable to brand whores on eBay, though, and still a great score.

I kinda agree.

Great score, but nothing I'd wear.

I can't help but wonder if we're too brand-centric sometimes, and this thread encourages it.

I found a great jacket the other day, a slik/wool lightcolored gunclub-type check, nearly identical to one I almost bought at Press New York this spring.
Soft shoulders, not the least bit dated, fit well, but it was some dept store of fashion brand so I put it back.

Yet I'll get all excited over comeplelty unwearable oxxford/brioni/zegna stuff.
I'll spend $5 thrifting a Brioni tie with a disgusting pattern, but I'll put back a perfectly wearable 50cent #1 stripe tie because it says "Nordstrom" or something I've never heard of on the back.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1, there's a whole lot of stuff there that I can't see anyone pulling off.

tonylamer

Reaction score
Highlights from the past couple of days:

Suits/Blazers/Tuxes: From the top: Zegna wool-cashmere jacket, Samuelsohn fully canvassed tuxedo (probably the best find of the week), Samuelsohn fully canvassed charcoal suit, Samuelsohn fully canvassed Super 100s suit (understated gold and burgundy vertical stripes. I may end up selling this one or giving it to my brother. The jacket's 44/38. The pants are around a 35/35). Total cost: $90. I also picked up a pristine, fully canvassed Corneliani Super 100s that didn't fit in the picture and a made-in-France YSL patch-pocket navy blazer that's a size too small (probably a 38/32). The Corneliani and the YSL were ten bucks each.

And this vintage wool-mohair Loro Piana jacket. I don't know if it'll work with a pair of jeans, but for $10 I figured I'd give it a try:

Shirts: From the top: RLBL Blake (a nice autumn weight), J.P. Tilford mint green, vintage Nino Cerruti silk, main-line Zegna with mint green vertical stripes, main-line Zegna with cornflower blue vertical stripes, Canali, RLBL silk-cotton. I also picked up a Carlo Costa that feels almost like linen. I love the way it's structured. Total cost: $50.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I paid another visit to my honeypot (back about a bazillion posts - last visit yielded a Brioni suit, NWT Brioni sportcoat and a Zegna Trofeo sportcoat). This time I scored an immaculate Dege & Skinner bespoke PoW suit and a phenomenal lightweight tweed jacket - both from the same donor as before, I suspect, as the measurements are similar to the Brioni / Zegna. Neither fit me (#50R/L) so will be up on eBay when I get a chance.

A visit to another area of town a week or so ago yielded a pair of vintage Edward Greens in my size from a consignment store, and a NWT (and bag) Drakes tie and a Maurice Sedwell blazer in my size with great enamelled buttons from a thrift.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobody said it couldn't be done. I specifically stated it is a waste of money, which it is...er, was.
A man that wears a 42R is physically and noticeably much smaller than a man who wears a 44L. What I stated are plain facts.
Perhaps what the OP on this matter should have done, was ask for or be encouraged to start a seperate alterations thread.
I can see how this mix-up happened as he posted his excitement of finding, what he thought was, a nice suit. in this Thrift Store thread, and those who responded were happy to see that he was happy with his purchase. In his excitement, the OP (MGeese) now became un-focused and de-railed a little by switching the topic to alterations. As this thread is a focus on the finding of a 'good deal' and not an alterations thread, no one looked closely enough to study the feasability of embarking on alterations project or perhaps the OP failed to mention it. Then again, no one in this specific thread was required to spot it anyway. Perhaps in future we should all be a little more watchful; that should anyone digress beyond the thrill of the catch and get into questions of maintenance or alterations, that they be encouraged to start a new thread. I am sure you'll all agree that would be more beneficial to others as well, lest such advice become buried in an ocean if thrifts store finds.
Peace :)

There are countless finds being posted here daily that are a million times shittier than this dude's suit. If you're going to be so adamant about it, the least you could do is be consistent. As a final answer, ask any competent tailor and he'll tell you that tailoring a suit up or down a size usually isn't that big of a deal. Again, having seen one crappy photo, I'd say it's not possible to tell for certain whether it makes sense or not in this case. Regardless, there's no need for you to be rude about it. Differences of opinion are going to exist here, no need to be less than a gentleman.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are countless finds being posted here daily that are a million times shittier than this dude's suit. If you're going to be so adamant about it, the least you could do is be consistent. As a final answer, ask any competent tailor and he'll tell you that tailoring a suit up or down a size usually isn't that big of a deal. Again, having seen one crappy photo, I'd say it's not possible to tell for certain whether it makes sense or not in this case. Regardless, there's no need for you to be rude about it. Differences of opinion are going to exist here, no need to be less than a gentleman.

WHOA! ...you are the one being rude. I was extremely generous and gave you a graceful way out of your stupidity. You didn't understand that and now type this ****^
OK...no mercy....you are a complete moron neophyte who doesn't know **** about clothes. How's that. Now I have to put you on ignore because you are too stupid to engage with.

Member 83glt has been added to your Block list. Yah-f@#$n-hoo!

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Though I'm underqualified for this, uhm, discussion, I will say it's never a bad idea to grab something and try it on if it catches your eye. My best finds -- a couple of summery, unlined linen jackets -- were tagged a full two sizes bigger than what I normally wear, yet fit much smaller.

Also:

:lurk: :lurk: :lurk:

Last edited:

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man of Lint and 83glt should each try to thrift a pair of white cloth gloves so that they can slap each other in the face with them while yelling "y dost thou not act as gentleman, sir!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads